Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:05 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I lived in Mountain View for a few years and the traffic wasn't too bad. Other than Commercial Dr./Mountain View Dr., there really isn't a major thorough-fare through Mountain View like there is through the other undesirable areas of Anchorage.
Maybe it's because the last time I went down there was the time they were replacing the foot bridge over the highway and were diverting all traffic off on Muldoon. By the time I realized what was going on, it took us almost an hour to extricate ourselves from that nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 11:15 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Okay here it is, striaght. I was born and raised in Muldoon and have returned to Alaska and am living in the same house I was Born and Raised in. No, all parts of Muldoon are not bad, there are some pretty decent areas. By Muldoon area I am referring to you being required to turn off of Muldoon Rd. to get to the homes you are looking at. Anything that is between The Gleen HWY and 36th Avenue. Generally speaking, the closer you get to the Glenn Hwy the worse it is.

I live off of Muldoon and 6th Avenue. Sure, I feel safe here but its not a desierable part of town to live in for several reasons. Its kind of ran down, there is graffiti and property damage by idiots. The worst part of living on Muldoon is that you are very far from other parts of Anchorage (according to Anchorage standard) and you are always taking Tudor Rd to get to the Southside of Anchorage.

Muldoon has a bad rap because it has lower property values, the homes are getting older and there is a TON of Medium Density housing (Apartments, Duplexes, Trailers) in the area. Its cheap rent for 1 - 2 bedroom apartments and 3 bedroom duplexes.

One more thing, if you have kids and plan on sending them to public school. Do not move to the Muldoon area.

~Kash

Old 05-06-2009, 12:06 AM

364 posts, read 991,389 times
I live in a house in the Muldoon area and it's OK. I live close to Centennial Park and like being close to the woods. I haven't had any problems and neither have my neighbors, all homeowners. However, despite the fact that I have not had any problems doesn't mean that I'm crazy about the area. There are definitely better places to live in town. Unless you already have a house, I would avoid Muldoon.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:59 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Maybe it's because the last time I went down there was the time they were replacing the foot bridge over the highway and were diverting all traffic off on Muldoon. By the time I realized what was going on, it took us almost an hour to extricate ourselves from that nightmare.
I remember that, and you are right, it was a particularly nasty traffic situation for several months until they finished the Bragaw bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Muldoon has a bad rap because it has lower property values, the homes are getting older and there is a TON of Medium Density housing (Apartments, Duplexes, Trailers) in the area. Its cheap rent for 1 - 2 bedroom apartments and 3 bedroom duplexes.
It is not the property values that gives the Muldoon area a bad rap, it is the elevated criminal activity. Just like along Spenard, there are many popular bars along Muldoon (particularly with the military) which results in a lot of drunks, and an inordinate number of disturbances when compared to the rest of Anchorage (other than Mountain View, Fairview, and Spenard of course).

People who want to avoid an altercation with a drunk will avoid Muldoon, Spenard, and the downtown areas of Anchorage.

I have nothing against the Muldoon area, or any other area of Anchorage. But someone who is unfamiliar with Anchorage should be made aware of where the higher crime areas are located. Once they live in Anchorage for a while, they can form their own opinions about the various areas.

Last edited by Glitch; 05-06-2009 at 09:07 AM..

Old 05-06-2009, 11:17 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times
I'll make one more comment, then I will leave it alone. "Bad areas" is all relative. I had some family visit Anchorage a number of years ago and I pointed out some of the "bad" areas of town. They laughed at me. What we are referring to as "bad" or "crime ridden" is a joke to most people coming from the Lower 48. Unlike most cities this size, Anchorage really has very few (if any) areas that are just totally unsafe. In some cases, depending on the economic status of the person doing the relocating, these areas might even be a step up, or at least equal, to the areas they are moving from. We are pretty spoiled in Anchorage. Its not a bad place to live

Old 05-06-2009, 11:38 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I'll make one more comment, then I will leave it alone. "Bad areas" is all relative. I had some family visit Anchorage a number of years ago and I pointed out some of the "bad" areas of town. They laughed at me. What we are referring to as "bad" or "crime ridden" is a joke to most people coming from the Lower 48. Unlike most cities this size, Anchorage really has very few (if any) areas that are just totally unsafe. In some cases, depending on the economic status of the person doing the relocating, these areas might even be a step up, or at least equal, to the areas they are moving from. We are pretty spoiled in Anchorage. Its not a bad place to live
You mean other than having twice the national average of violent crimes? Even when compared to New York City or Los Angeles, Anchorage still has twice as many rapes per capita. Assaults, burglary/theft per capita are also higher in Anchorage than the national average.

The truly frightening thing is that even though Anchorage has double the national average of rapes per capita, it has fewer rapes per capita than any other Alaskan city or town.

Anchorage may not be a "bad place to live", but there are a great deal more places nationwide that are far less violent.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:12 PM

44 posts, read 134,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
No offense... but that is not comforting.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:31 PM

31 posts, read 71,446 times
So Muldoon is a fairly nice area then?

Old 10-18-2010, 07:34 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
I live in the Muldoon area. Been here for over 2 years. I love it! We have a really really great neighborhood that is really safe too.
I think there are some pretty yucky places all over this town. And there are some yucky places on Muldoon too, you just have to keep looking for the pockets of nice.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:27 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazysunday View Post
On this forum, I've read that Muldoon area (along w/ few places like mountain view, spenard, and some places near downtown) is not very good.

Recently, I've noticed that there are lots of nice houses in the Muldoon area (South of Debarr and West of Muldoon Rd). From Google Maps Street View, it looks like a
nice residential area. Going EAST, it turns into a trailer park...

I would appreciate it if you can chime in and let us know if we should avoid this area
or not (and why?). I'm looking for feedback on SAFETY (crime related) information primarily.

Thank you!
I wouldn't rent or buy in the Muldoon area. They are trying to revive it, but the people who live in this area are still dead beats in my opinion (not all of course, but just drive around that area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage