Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 05:53 AM

607 posts, read 1,335,057 times

Advertisements

In a three-season tent I expect to have windows that zip closed with fabric- not just mesh. That was the problem! In a regular cheap tent with proper windows we would have been fine in 30 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 06:08 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,662,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar311 View Post
In a three-season tent I expect to have windows that zip closed with fabric- not just mesh. That was the problem! In a regular cheap tent with proper windows we would have been fine in 30 degrees.
Temperature doesn't really make any difference. If the wind is blowing, a tent is nice. If it's snowing or raining, a tent is nice.

You weren't trying to heat the inside of the tent were you???

Old 10-09-2009, 07:28 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,295,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seastar311 View Post
Huh. I've seen a lot of family camping tents like that, but most backpacking 3-season tents are just mesh on top with a rainfly. I like that myself, as it saves a little weight when you don't really need as much protection, and it vents well. I guess 30*F for a low just doesn't seem that cold to me. Like Floyd said, it's more wind or precipitation that requires the use of a tent. If it's just cold with no wind I'm not sure how much difference solid walls would make. Maybe a few degrees, but you can make up for that by wearing a hat to bed or putting a warm bottle of water at the bottom of your bag.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:56 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,760,182 times
I backpack with a good light-weight tent that is mostly mesh & a rainfly. I have used it way down below freezing, even on the Colorado Trail at 13,000 ft elevation. The mesh is great to prevent condensation. The trick to staying warm is good insulation from the ground, thus a good thermarest self-inflating mattress or some other sleeping pad. Plus, a good sleeping bag. I go with a 32 degree bag in the shoulder seasons but use my clothing layers to augment that with a warm hat & warm socks if needed.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:01 AM

bongo, do you use a closed-cell pad under your thermarest? I haven't needed it in the temps I've slept in, but I'd imagine much below freezing and the extra insulation would help a lot, especially with snow on the ground.

My friend has a decent-sized 3-season tent with two vestibules and closeable vents at the top of the fly, so I'm thinking of taking that up and not worrying about renting a tent. The fly comes down pretty far on it, so even if the wind picks up or it snows while we're out it ought to work fine, maybe make our tent platform a little deeper in the snow in order to block the wind if need be.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:29 AM

Another thing to remember is to not get in your sleeping bag cold if you can help it. A little exercise before going to bed will help you warm up your bag faster. I read a tip the other day about using a frisbee as a makeshift snow shovel, and I think I'll bring one with me and try it out. They can also be used as cutting boards or plates if needed, as well as for recreation. Throwing a frisbee around for a few minutes before bed should get your temp up a little and I think it would be kind of hilarious to play with a frisbee in the snow. Maybe I'll get a glow-in-the-dark one.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:38 PM

I know folks who put a closed cell under their thermarest for cold-weather camping; however, I am a 3 season backpacker so I just use an ultralight thermorest. In winter we have used forest service cabins.

Another trick is to eat carbs before bed to activate digestion which warms up the core.

One has to be very careful of becoming hypothermic in Alaska, even in the shoulder seasons. Keeping dry, especially hands & feet. is imperative. The toughest thing is manipulating a stove when it is cold or pumping water. I prefer aqua mira tablets rather than pump with a purifier for that very reason. Also, liquor & hypothermia can be a deadly mix.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
One has to be very careful of becoming hypothermic in Alaska, even in the shoulder seasons. Keeping dry, especially hands & feet. is imperative. The toughest thing is manipulating a stove when it is cold or pumping water. I prefer aqua mira tablets rather than pump with a purifier for that very reason. Also, liquor & hypothermia can be a deadly mix.
Also, any remaining water in the filter can freeze and crack seals, etc. The stove thing is one I'm still unsure about. Traditionally, cold weather has meant white gas, but it seems that some of the newer canister mixes do a respectable job in the cold, especially if you keep them in your sleeping bag or somewhere else that's warm before you use them. I'm still reading about that, but it may be better to bring my multi-fuel stove even if it's bigger and heavier.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:18 AM

607 posts, read 1,335,057 times
I use a hot water bottle to warm the sleeping bag. Any nalphene-type container works.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Also, any remaining water in the filter can freeze and crack seals, etc. The stove thing is one I'm still unsure about. Traditionally, cold weather has meant white gas, but it seems that some of the newer canister mixes do a respectable job in the cold, especially if you keep them in your sleeping bag or somewhere else that's warm before you use them. I'm still reading about that, but it may be better to bring my multi-fuel stove even if it's bigger and heavier.
Tigre, I sure lose efficiency with my canister stoves, even the new 4 season blends, from condensation on cold mornings. One morning up at Rabbit Lakes with the wind chill & condensation we had to use a lot of fuel. For one or two nights they would be fine. I keep the canister in my tent wrapped or in the toe of my bag. As much as I am spoiled by my canister stoves, I would take my whisperlite & white gas for multi-day winter camping up here. But that would only be in my dreams!

In the summer I fly down to backpack the Colo. Trail with all my camping equipment in one big duffle bag & a carry-on, so it is possible to fly with your own equipment. You could wear your down coat & hiking boots on the plane, taking slip on shoes to switch into for the flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage