Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 PM

254 posts, read 281,025 times

Advertisements

I use to live in a house that had a similar layout except the master suite was very different, the garage/utility room was flipped with the front bedrooms/bath, and the kitchen counter and entrance by the fridge were swapped. I think those changes made the floor plan much more workable because it was a straight shot from the garage to the pantry/fridge and you didn't need to take your Thanksgiving turkey on a detour to get to the table.

I liked the kitchen layout, but it was a one person kitchen and unloading the dishwasher took a while since the cabinets were not near by. I really liked how the kitchen, nook and family room were connected and it was easy to watch the kids in the house or back yard while working in the kitchen.

The front bedroom was not practical for anything that would be used on a regular basis, because the large window made it really hot and gave little privacy.

For Florida, I would go with tile floors. They handle heat and sand better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
I'd hate that floor plan. The dining room is completely cut off from the kitchen and living room, the two bedrooms are squished in wherever, and the master bedroom is off the kitchen.

The closet in the master bedroom is bigger than the hall bath. What kind of sense does that make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime2012 View Post
2. Both these bedrooms share a bath-room along with the rest of the family for the entire day.
What on earth does that mean?

Old 04-17-2012, 02:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,723 times
I did not expect so many replies to my question. I was wondering if I was the only one who felt about the plan. The kids are grown up and will be out in the next few years however they could come back in the future though I doubt it will happen.

Ohiogirl,

The common bathroom is shared by the two bedrooms plus any visting guests and I expect it to be most used location when entertaining folks.

The builder is not modifying the plan however I can go for an extra bedroom and bonusroom on the 2nd floor which the builder is adding for a minor cost.

Some of the comments about the kitchen area are valid and I will revisit it. I sometimes really wonder on the thought process of these architects. If this is the best design they can come up on a 6500 sq ft lot, I don't know what to say

Old 04-17-2012, 05:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Ok, that changes a lot. Since you will be empty-nesters and those will be guest rooms for the most part, I don't really see an issue with that plan. I don't see anything wrong with having your living space at the back of the house as back yards tend to be nicer to look at than front yards. As you age, the compact space of the living areas will be a bonus.

Since it's possible you will have grandkids in the not too distant future, put in the bonus room, you will be very glad you did!!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:54 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
The common bathroom is shared by the two bedrooms plus any visting guests and I expect it to be most used location when entertaining folks.
And this is a problem ... how?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
I sometimes really wonder on the thought process of these architects.

Well, for one they're generally not architects; they're designers (designers create the plans- architects if and when used figure the structural). As far as the thought process- that's very involved.
As I previously mentioned- a 2-3 year process. A lot of marketing questionnaires to the general public, questionnaires for RE people, then there's the regional questionnaires (what plan(s) that are popular in one region of the country may not garner the same fondness in another). Then there are zoning issues (which can be lot sizes, minimum sq/ft, height restrictions), regional demographics, and price point objectives.
Wait we're not done- and last but not least; structural cost (materials), local labor costs, construction loan costs, land cost, environmental impact fees, and insurance.

All of these play a role in not only design considerations but also the final cost to the consumer.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:10 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
This is a small house, with small compact rooms/ small closets when you subtract the square feet of the garage and lanai. I have a front bedroom. I can hear every car, every garage door open and close, etc.. A heavy sleeper need the front bedroom.

I would add a 3rd garage without the optional door for yard and garden tools. You don't want a door there unless it is steel with a double key lock. It is too easy for thieves to enter and you DO want a steel door between the garage and house, too, for the same security reasons.

It is a good starter home. I would not buy expensive eye candy now. Save your money so when you decide to sell you have the $$$ to upgrade it for the next buyer. 3b/2ba house sells best , but not if it looks and feels old and dated. It is not a big deal to change light fixtures, sinks, faucets and paint. It makes money. I personally would not have a ground level wood floor in Florida due to termites. Linoleum will take a lot of beating before it needs to be replaced.

Do understand what a slab foundation is before you buy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum