Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 06:49 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,428,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Los Agadonis (sp?) outside Yuma. We went there about a month ago to see a dentist and it seems they're fighting to stay out of the whole mess. Worlds largest concentration of Dentists, they have their own tourist police force to make SURE nothing happens.
Clean town, friendly people,cheap dental/eyeglass/prescription prices.
They know their bread and butter is the snowbird medical trade/tourists so I'd highly doubt they'd want to toss that away.
When I was there I regularly saw the jeeps with machine guns in the back, lots of military dressed people carring automatic weapons walking/driving around as well as policia everywhere.
I do think if I wanted to go much anywere else I'd transform myself into a Canadian real quick like...
I think some people get intimidated by the policia with their assault rifles, but it justs means it's more safe for everyone around them.

I took some friends down to our beach house in Rocky Point last year and one of the girls started freaking out when we went over the border and she saw a bunch of guys with assault rifles, she thought they were the bad guys!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:38 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,577,385 times
I did get on the US government's travel warning site and Mexico is definitely loaded with them (warnings, that is). Seems even Cuernavaca--the city I'd live in if I could--is now loaded with danger. What a pity that so much has been ruined in that great country with these drug wars! This is just so sad, and probably won't change during my lifetime as I'm already a geezer. Dang, dang, dang!!!!

Looks like Costa Rica will now be getting alot of the dental and medical work now from Americans...or some other country than Mexico. I mean..this is just a pity to me!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:34 AM

13,248 posts, read 21,867,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Looks like Costa Rica will now be getting alot of the dental and medical work now from Americans...
Oh yeah, San Jose, Costa Rica. Now there's a safe place. Not!

Old 06-14-2010, 12:09 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,243,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
My family just got back tonight, they had a good time and had no issues. They said Rocky Point was a ghost town though, no little kids selling chiclets, many streetside shops aren't there anymore, and there was barely any tourists compared to normal.
Good. Then maybe the highway robbery rates-wise in the hotels, houses, and condos may slow down. That's about the only problem.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Good. Then maybe the highway robbery rates-wise in the hotels, houses, and condos may slow down. That's about the only problem.
Not being a regular there, I thought the lodging prices were extremely reasonable. Maybe they used to be a lot better.

The real dangers in Rocky Point are over-eating fresh home-made Mexican food brought to your beach house by "Tony" (made by his mom), drinking too many cervesas and margaritas on the beach, and possibly sunburn. (The over-eating and drinking parts are pretty much a sure thing though.)

The fresh seafood from fish-row in the shopping district is absolutely to die for. Shrimp the size of small lobsters, and all kind of fresh fish are pretty hard to resist. Did I mention we ate well?

Old 06-14-2010, 05:35 PM

253 posts, read 464,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I did get on the US government's travel warning site and Mexico is definitely loaded with them (warnings, that is). Seems even Cuernavaca--the city I'd live in if I could--is now loaded with danger. What a pity that so much has been ruined in that great country with these drug wars! This is just so sad, and probably won't change during my lifetime as I'm already a geezer. Dang, dang, dang!!!!

Looks like Costa Rica will now be getting alot of the dental and medical work now from Americans...or some other country than Mexico. I mean..this is just a pity to me!

Makes me wonder .........If the Americans quit using would the Mexicans still have drug wars? ...hmmmm.....

Old 06-14-2010, 05:41 PM

253 posts, read 464,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Not being a regular there, I thought the lodging prices were extremely reasonable. Maybe they used to be a lot better.

The real dangers in Rocky Point are over-eating fresh home-made Mexican food brought to your beach house by "Tony" (made by his mom), drinking too many cervesas and margaritas on the beach, and possibly sunburn. (The over-eating and drinking parts are pretty much a sure thing though.)

The fresh seafood from fish-row in the shopping district is absolutely to die for. Shrimp the size of small lobsters, and all kind of fresh fish are pretty hard to resist. Did I mention we ate well?
What do things like lodging, food, dentistry, cost down there? The last time I was in Mexico was Tijuana in the 60's and I doubt if the prices stayed the same. I now live in Phoenix and would like to go down.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming Darrell View Post
What do things like lodging, food, dentistry, cost down there? The last time I was in Mexico was Tijuana in the 60's and I doubt if the prices stayed the same. I now live in Phoenix and would like to go down.
I don't have a lot of data on rentals, but I'll tell you the two I know. We rented a huge mansion on the water for $450/night. We had 11 people in our group, and the house still felt practically empty. Plus is was NICE. Giant open spaces and bedrooms, balconies, the entire house was done in custom tile with murals everywhere, etc. We found it on vrbo.com. I also know you can rent a small unit in the new Tessoro resort for $140. It's a condo resort, but they rent out units as well. The place is fantastic, btw. We visted there just to check it out. The Development : Tessoro at Las Conchas – Rocky Point Real Estate

Food was average to inexpensive. We paid a buck each for burritos and tamales delivered to our door. For fish tacos in town plus a margarita, I think we paid around $6.00. Not sure what we paid for the fresh fish. We got a huge slab of red snapper, a ton of jumbo prawns, a half of a red snapper (6 lbs maybe), and a couple of dozen oysters for $70. I thought that was very reasonable. No clue about dentistry. There are vendors who constantly walk the beaches trying to sell you stuff. It gets a bit annoying, but they take the hint when you shoe them away. It probably didn't help the women in our group bought a lot of stuff from them. We found "Tony", the food guy that way, and the young girls all got their hair braided for $10, so overall they were a win. Everybody was very nice. Even the beggars say "thank you" when you say no.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:20 PM

276 posts, read 806,265 times
Is Rocky Point also known as Puerto Penasco Mexico?

Its too bad when the lines were drawn that beach area was not included in the USA. Would of gave AZ some nice coastal lands.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierBoyBliss View Post
Is Rocky Point also known as Puerto Penasco Mexico?
Yup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona