Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:43 AM

63 posts, read 151,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Well, I'd be happy to close off all the rooms I'm not using, however I have no inside doors in my house. lol Only one wall too! It's all open but it's not that big...about 750 sq. ft.. This is my mom's 'guest house' and she's not about to redo the cooler to put it up on the house. It's working fine so why bother? My house is surrounded by a ton of trees and it doesn't get broiling hot...mostly stuffy and 'too warm'. So the cooler where it's at, operating as it is, is just fine.
"if it's not broken don't fix it" right? The unit/s I have looked at sit directly on top of the roof, i'm sure you could pick up the phone and have 3-4 free estimates in no time. Just make sure whoever does the work has darn good references! This would be a nice gesture on your part seeing as she's giving you cheap rent. In either case thanks for not sucking on the grid, energy usage is a big concern of mine! In the northeast I see AC's all over the place and can't figure it out? I have this little honeywell fan in my apt and it's fine, my avg utility bill is around 15 dollars monthly, In the winter I bundled up with my field coat and it was around 40-50! ONLY because one of the pipes burst leading into the shower. The landlord wasn't happy at all about that and forced me into setting the thermo at 50F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 06:23 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times
Only in the desert southwest would someone post that it "cooled off to a high of 110"!!! A low of 95 is not low enough for me... But I'm not bashing Arizona people; if you all think the lower cost of housing is worth it, who am I to judge? I could end up retiring there, who knows? I probably won't be able to afford to stay in southern California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
Its cooled off to a high of 110 today but with night time lows of 95 there is not much relief.
Oh this heat is not a dry heat its a bit muggy and no storms

Old 07-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 11 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,923,623 times
Sandyco: There are parts of Arizona that dont get as hot as Phoenix, such as the higher elevations of Arizona around Flaggstaff. I think Flaggstaff's all time record high is only 97 degrees! Even Seattle, Portland, and even Fiarbanks, Alaska have higher all time record highs than that! And Flaggstaff is one of the snowiest populated places in America. Its very hard for me to believe this and its only 2-3 hours north of Phoenix.

But yeah its ridiculous for a city metro with at least a million metro around Phoenix to have lows in the low-mid 90s and highs 100-115 for weeks to months at a time. Anything above 80 degrees feels too hot for me.

Phoenix is the 5th most populated city in America! Its so hard for me to believe that so many people dont mind the weather/climate in Phoenix. I dont understand why Phoenix metro wasnt built where Flaggstaff is.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:12 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
I like the heat, but when its over 120 thats a bit to much.

Maracaibo Drive, Lake Havasu City, Arizona (PWS)
Updated: 4 sec ago
122.7 °F
Clear
Humidity: 8% Dew Point: 45 °F Wind: 4.9 mph from the West

Wind Gust: 4.9 mph Pressure: 29.79 in (Falling) Heat Index: 116 °F Visibility: 10.0 miles UV: 9 out of 16
And I thought my summers sucked! As hot as Southwest Louisiana gets, I don't think I've seen 100 degrees yet. That would be a record.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:33 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Wow this has got to be the first time since the 90s' that the temps rose to 120 anywhere in Arizona. In other words this is like the second time this has happened!
I believe you will find that 120+ is not that uncommon along the River - Yuma, Parker, Bullhead City, Lake Havasu.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:23 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,577,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
Phoenix is the 5th most populated city in America! Its so hard for me to believe that so many people dont mind the weather/climate in Phoenix. I dont understand why Phoenix metro wasnt built where Flaggstaff is.
Because many people like me think living in Flagstaff would be way too cold.

Yeah the weather here in July (I can't speak for August as I haven't been through an August here but I hear it's exactly the same as July) isn't the most pleasant. But no place has perfect weather. Not even San Diego (which so many claim has perfect weather - I found it too cold when I visited). We all have to "put up" with something.

In Minnesota and the upper Midwest - Cold cold cold winter temperatures. Not to mention, unreliable weather. You could never plan anything outside, because it could always change just like that.

In Phoenix - Very high summer temperatures that some can't "handle".

Other places have their downfalls - Seattle and the PNW has the cloud cover, the Southeast has high summer temps with high humidity, etc etc etc.

So you don't understand why a huge amount of people would live here. That's fine. I can't imagine why one would live in a place where cloud cover is prevalent much of the year, or a place where it rains a ton, or a place where it's extremely cold, etc.

Many of us are happy here in the Phoenix area. We see a couple months of high temperatures mixed with higher humidity and nights that don't cool down as much as a trade-off for the absolutely wonderful weather the majority (at least 75%) of the year.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:08 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQp View Post
"if it's not broken don't fix it" right? The unit/s I have looked at sit directly on top of the roof, i'm sure you could pick up the phone and have 3-4 free estimates in no time. Just make sure whoever does the work has darn good references! This would be a nice gesture on your part seeing as she's giving you cheap rent. In either case thanks for not sucking on the grid, energy usage is a big concern of mine! In the northeast I see AC's all over the place and can't figure it out? I have this little honeywell fan in my apt and it's fine, my avg utility bill is around 15 dollars monthly, In the winter I bundled up with my field coat and it was around 40-50! ONLY because one of the pipes burst leading into the shower. The landlord wasn't happy at all about that and forced me into setting the thermo at 50F.
My mom has two units on her roof but my place used to be a garage/workshop/carport turned little house. I don't have the money to put a cooler on this place. I'm happy with what I've got.

I can see being conservative, and I am, but I'm not going to 'suffer' just for the sake of saving a few kwh or dollars. I'm old and I like being comfortable.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:14 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Mod Cut: Quote deleted.

Flagstaff doesn't get THAT much snow. What they do get doesn't last long. Once in a while they'll have a year with more snow than 'usual' but mostly it comes and goes. It doesn't hang around for weeks/months at a time, for sure. We've also had a few winters with very little snow and that's when you hear the skiiers crying. Last winter they were happy, I guess.

I spent one winter in Flagstaff, years ago, and the snow didn't bug me but the cold sure did! Even in Aug., if you go up for a weekend you're liable to be wearing sweats and carrying an umbrella! lol That happened to me two years ago when I spent the weekend at Mormon Lake Lodge. I'd go again though.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 07-18-2010 at 02:43 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 03:36 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,266,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Official high (Seatac airport) was 103 - but you are right in that some areas were even higher (108 in Lynnwood). If you would have asked me prior to hitting that temp if it was EVER going to get that hot in Seattle, I'd have said "no way in h*ll".
UNBELIEVABLE for it to get that hot up here in Seattle.
UNBELIEVABLE.

Ken
Imagine, I just left AZ and the heat (forever) I thought only to get heat blasted in Seattle two weeks later. I did return to AZ in December, as It was not to be in Washington. I miss it, but it just seems to be sunshine that makes me the happiest. Thank goodness for flagstaff right? BTW LordBalfor, do you live in AZ now or still in WA

Old 07-18-2010, 07:26 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,003,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I won't contradict you, Geechie. I saw something on the weather that I thought said those things. Do you think I can find that video now? Of course not! So, I may not have had the temp correct but the winds sure are the strongest. Maybe that's what they said! It's tough seeing things when I can barely keep my eyes open for the news!
No worries. Weather has always fascinated me, so I tend to remember obscure facts about it.
Which is why you are 100% correct about the winds on Mt. Washington- 235 mph gust recorded there, strongest ever measured on Earth's surface.

For myself, I can do both heat and cold- but more the tropical heat of Amazonia than the dry type of Arizona.

As for cold, once it was -25F with winds than made the chill (old system) -90F.
Being from the SE, I thought "I gotta see this", and bundled-up for a 20 minute walk.

But I was younger then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona