Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 04:26 PM

44 posts, read 116,473 times

Advertisements

I know that there has been a lot of negative about Kingman, and I llive just 20 miles outside of Kingman, but there are a couple of reservations nearby, Hualapai and Havasupai and I am at 3500 foot elevation and we have decided to do organic gardening on a little larger scale. Yes it is a challenge, but so is living in the "desert". With fourteen head of horses and sheep, we cannot just decide to move, so we are doing raised and containerized gardening with recycled materials. Oh and we have a GREAT source of manure!! LOL. Contact me if you want to discuss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 07:45 AM

4 posts, read 10,994 times
Thanks for your post! Ganado actually sounds like the place for me: deep experience with different group in slow lifestyle!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:56 PM

19 posts, read 112,561 times
Default Ganado

I lived in Ganado for two years. I taught high school at Ganado High. I am anglo, and moved to Ganado from Flagstaff. Around Ganado you do have access to some incredible, remote country, but it is a solitary lifestyle. You have to go to Gallup for shopping of any kind. The native people were slow to accept me. I did make a few friends after many months. I also felt the lack of acceptance in Gallup just doing everyday things like laundry. I understand why it is this way, but it was difficult. However, every anglo should experience it because others face it all the time from us.

I grew up near the Nez Perce reservation, and I can tell you that the two places are entirely different. There is more sense of community on the Nez Perce Reservation. Just letting you know the two locations are not very similar in terms of country or people.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:50 AM

Default other teaching posts?

Jank,

Thanks so much for your reply! I liked the sound of the Ganado Intermediate school, but I am open to suggestions. Are there any other communities you think could be friendlier on the Navajo Rez? I'd still really like to go there, and I like somewhat rural areas. Also prefer more moderate temperatures such as Ganado's (80s or 90s rather than 100s in summer). Any thoughts on the Shiprock area?

Old 09-30-2008, 01:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,303 times
Rainbow'smom,
I agree with Jank about the incredible, remote country and the driving to Gallup for shopping but
Ganado also has very beautiful sunsets too. Amazing! The Navajo people are very kind, gentle and accepting of anyone if you are respectful and address them with kindness. Ganado is 87% Natives. It seems to me that Jank was another anglo who came and was unfriendly and never really cared to mixed with the Natives to understand who they really are. I think Jank only tried to make friends with the 8-10% non-natives that lived there. Jank lived a solitary lifestyle because that is the choice Jank made and I think it is very sad. Navajo people will not be accepting of you if you live among them with a stand-offish attitude. They can read your expressions and body language. I think that is rule all over America. So, Rainbow'smom, It is a beautiful place to live and teach. Lots of exciting places to see and the Natives are very friendly and kind if you are accepting of their culture and who they are. Shiprock is also a great place to be! Same rule stands in Shiprock! I grew up in Ganado and Shiprock. Thanks!

Old 09-30-2008, 05:01 PM

Default Encouraging words about Ganado

Thanks for the positive info on Ganado and the Navajos! I wouldn't be so quick to label Jank unfriendly, but I agree that most people will accept you if you show a genuine interest and friendship, and also if you take your time. I spent several years in China, and though I think that may have been easier, as people wanted to meet Westerners, you still had to expect to spend a while there before making friends.

I think I have some experience with adapting to different cultures and environments, and have starting to learn the Dine Bizaad (Navajo language) which I always think is an important starting point.

Am still just seeing my kids through school (the youngest just started high school) and helping my 92-year-old father (I'm the only surviving local relative). Don't plan to move just yet, but I'm also deciding what I need to do to prepare for a job there. Thinking of working in elementary school. it's what i do now, as an ESL tutor, and I'm licensed and havea MEd in it,but I'm wondering if getting certfied in elementary ed would be more useful there. (Of course, I'd have to meet AZ standards, too!)

Have lots of experience teaching adult ESL, but I'm thinking maybe the kids need the help more? Their world is in such a state of flux. I hear a lot about all the alcoholism/drug abuse etc plaguing the Rez.

Any suggestions? Would be happy to have them!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:50 AM

2 posts, read 5,303 times
Default Encouraged

Hi Rainbowsmom,
You sound like a very nice and considerate person. I appreciate that! I think that the Natives in the Ganado area get a bad rep and it saddens me
because the Navajos are very kind hearted and all they want is respect of
who they are and the culture they live in. Hundreds of anglos and non- anglos in the past and present, come to work in the area to serve their contract of work release. A majority of them are unfriendly, anti-social, and their unwillingness to care and make a difference is communicated in their body language. The Navajo People are real who have all the five senses like anyone else.
Ganado is very beautiful with lots of fun and exciting things to do in the surrounding areas. There is Window Rock and Chinle about 30 min drive where they have McDonald, Burger King, KFC, Church's, Grocery Stores and the oldest Trading Post in Ganado that acts like a 7-11. You can Drive about 1 hr to 1 1/2 hrs to Holbrook, Flagstaff and Gallup to do some serious shopping. They are not boring drives but very scenic. I would not raise teenagers in Ganado because there is not much to do for them. But if they like hiking, fishing, running, reptile searching and just like being outdoors, there is much for that.
The Navajos are trying to preserve their heritage and language. There is alcohol & drugs, teenage preganancy but what city does'nt. The Natives do not want to loose their culture but should they be looked down on for wanting to try and save their way of life. Shiprock is a little more advanced than Ganado because of its population. The area is also very nice. I hope this will help you get a better perspective of the remote area of Ganado.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:25 AM

Hi, Como Whistler!

I did get to Window Rock when I visited 2 summers ago. You're right, it would be possible to run some errands there. I didn't get to visit Chinle.

I was disappointed that our trip wouldn't take us more places. we were just supposed to drive from Albuquerque to Fort defiance, and have couple of short trips to Window rock (a great hike and museum) and Gallup (a fair and fireworks on the 4th of July, and I was delighted to get some fry bread and mutton!) However, there was a major accident blocking Rt 40, so somehow we ended up returning to albuquerque and driving northwest through Shiprock and then south again through Crownpoint etc. Got to see lots of NM, and definitely saw the Ship Rock, which was a real treat. 9 hours on the road, but I was euphoric!

Old 09-11-2010, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,769 times
i am a speech language therapist going to work in Ganada, IF i can find a place to live/reasonable commute. There is some housing that the hospital/clinic personnel can rent, i don't know if school personnel are eligible, but it 800 month! i'm not paying $800 a month in Phoenix! I don't understand 800 bucks to live in the butt end of nowhere. any ideas? thanks michelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona