Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 8,268 times

Advertisements

Morning, all:
I just found the Web site, and I hope lots of others find it, too. There's no more valid information than that which comes from individuals who live in an area and experience its ups and downs daily.
I was fascinated with the messages about Kingman and Bullhead City, and I can echo most of the sentiments, except that they should be labeled Golden Valley.
This in an unincorporated community of approximately 17,000, and it's growing. There is a hotly contested effort to incorporate as a way to control the unbridled growth we were experiencing. All of the member of the committee to incorporate and the news reporter covering the issue have been threatened, have been subjected to ridicule and harassment. These people out here are incredibly rude, cruel and just plain unbearable.
Most of the land is being bought up at outrageous prices by speculators. The new homes they have built are mostly unoccupied or rented.
Homes you could have built or bought two years ago for less than $100,000 are priced at $250,000-$300,000, an acre of land was going for $10,000-$12,000 dollars then and is up to $39,000 now. And wages here, averaging $7.50 to $13 an hour, can't support those prices.
There is also a lot in the media about the potential for a serious water shortage, and the developers won't be held responsible if this valley runs dry.
Summers here are hell. Temps this year hit the triple digits a month ago and the AC hasn't stopped running, except for about four hours at night when it gets down to 75 or 80. You can open the house up for the cool air if you don't mind having to dust and vacuum every day.
You have to clean your patio furniture daily if you don't want to sit in piles of dust. And there's always dust. The wind blows like a blast furnace here all summer. The dust is everywhere.
There are serious air-quality concerns. Remember the nuclear testing in Nevada that went on until the 1980s? That radioactive cloud settled in the soul all over this part of the Southwest. Now, major developers are stirring it up again and there's a constant dirty haze over the valley. Who knows what we're breathing?
Theres a Downwinders organization fighting the federal government now because of the high cancer death rate.
There was a dust storm yesterday that obliterated sight within a half-block of the house.
Now, let's address the attitude. I agree with one of the writers who said this area suffers from an evil vortex. The people who have lived here for a long time are just plain mean. No one waves, everyone gossips and sleeps around. Alcohol and meth are very serious problems, even in the older generation. I know of three men in their 70s who retired here with their wives, got involved in meth, alcohol and gambling. Laughlin, Nev., is just a half=hour away, and that's the main source of income and entertainment for most people here.
Those men quickly lost their wives, their homes, everything. Now, they're barely getting by on Social Security.
It's very sad, and a very, very common story.
I wouldn't advise anyone to move here. I've been here for two years and am fortunate to have a fairly decent job, but that's rare. I've also been threatened bodily harm and death a dozen times, and there's no one you can trust.
Don't get me wrong: There are good people here, but they don't leave their homes except maybe to go to church, a movieand gambling or shopping 20 miles away in Kingman or 30 miles away in Bullhead City. They don't want to draw attention to themselves.
Theft is also a serious problem here. You have to keep everything under lock and key, and not let anyone know what you have or it will disappear. The sheriff's office doesn't patrol enough here, and their response time is often hours.
So unless you have a plan to take care of these challenges, don't consider moving to Golden Valley. More than one person who has moved here has said they moved to Hell. I feel the same way, and plan to move as soon as circumstances allow.
Almost anywhere would be better than here. Good luck to the other Golden Valley residents, especially those who can't afford to sell out and move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 10:38 AM

343 posts, read 552,495 times
Too much information! What is your point besides a subjective vent? Do you have any objective? Way too confusing because there is a lot of promise in this area. They talk about water being an issue, but you can find articles from the Arizona Republic back in the early 80's stating a shortage of water in the area from that aquifer, yet that hype never amounted to being true either. There is more water than is being let on to believe, that is for sure(My opinion only).

Old 07-09-2007, 11:18 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Good luck in your move trulyred. One less nay-sayer is always an improvement for any town.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:59 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times
I really hate to say it, but a lot of what Trulyred said was true. Maybe not NORMALLY quite as bad as he/she made it out to be, however. I think it has a lot to do with where you live and who your acquaintances are. There are some pretty weird things that go on in Golden Valley, but one has to learn how to live there. That's NOT just Golden Valley though, one must learn how to live in this whole area! It's almost a different culture. I have lived here in Bullhead long enough to know how to get by here. But we pretty much stay to ourselves because we don't want the drama that tends to follow many people around here .
It's all a matter of what you're looking for and how well informed you are before making that move! It's not for everyone! Golden Valley used to be appealing because of the cost of homes, that appeal is now gone.
For me, personally, I would rather live in Bullhead (or even Kingman) because I prefer to be closer to everything.
Again, it's all about what you make it to be!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:02 AM

16 posts, read 53,363 times
Golden Valley is a pit and drugs are rampid, but drugs are everywhere. If you have a problem with theives, get a dog and a high powered rifle. The wind has always blown out there. I don't see how you could move into an area that is notorious for wind n then complain about it. Thats like people who move under airports and complain about the airplane noise.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:33 AM

6 posts, read 27,005 times
Golden Valley is my favorite place to live. Lake Mohave for boating 25 minutes away and it's great If you want fresh air and outdoor sports right out your back door. I lived in Tucson ten years and got bored and tired of the heat. Phoenix is even hotter and I go through there monthly and have friends there. I visit Laughlin, Sedona, Vegas when I feel like it which is perfect. AND I have not seen a mosquito all summer. We have a lot more wind in the winter and spring which could be the reason and some people don't like wind but I am very used to it now. It has a regular schedule in the spring and winter. Mossies and pollution simply can't hang around. Much healthier. So...Laughlin is 25 minutes from my house. Vegas is 1.5 hours and after the Hoover Dam Bypass is finished it will be one hour. Did you know that Mohave county has aprox. 1,000 miles of shoreline? Everyone who can afford it has a boat or a waverunner over here. When I hear someone complain about crime and meth addicts I just have to wonder who they are talking to because everyone I know over here is successfull or retired and quite comfortable and trustworthy. It doesn't matter where you live in this country there are druggies and thefts because America has a big problem with that. With an acre plus around my house a few barking dogs and a rifle that never has been needed is an easy answer to paranoia. Some people who complain would probably complain no matter where they lived. Summer heat is only miserable in July. Wind is only aggressive in the spring and winter. We don't have to shovel snow or mow lawns. I find it sad when someone comlains about this beautiful valley. They need to leave and go be miserable somewhere else. "Happiness is found within"

Old 11-02-2007, 04:49 AM

1 posts, read 7,984 times
Exclamation Golden Valley Was Wierd-O-Ville !!!

I moved there with family and everything bad that was written about it was true. That place has "Hanta Virus" in the sand from all of the field mice excrement. The temperatures are very very hot in summer and the wind does blow very hard. It does get very cold at night sometimes during winter. But overall I hated living there and moved as soon as possible (2 years). The people were very difficult to get along with and I think that may have to do with the job market there and of course drug problems.

Not to mention that you will need to haul your own water for most of the homes. Two of our dogs came down with a mysterious disease and died 1 year after we left Golden Valley and I believe it was hanta virus or possibly some type of Respiratory Staphyloccus Infection. I hesitate to say maybe
M.R.S.A. One way or the other it is still a difficult place to live even if you are stagnant in your personality. Please be advised that if you plan to move to Arizona check the area out thouroughly before you jump in because my experience was that Golden Valley Was Wierd=O=Ville !!!

Old 11-02-2007, 07:26 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enochian View Post
I moved there with family and everything bad that was written about it was true. That place has "Hanta Virus" in the sand from all of the field mice excrement. The temperatures are very very hot in summer and the wind does blow very hard. It does get very cold at night sometimes during winter. But overall I hated living there and moved as soon as possible (2 years). The people were very difficult to get along with and I think that may have to do with the job market there and of course drug problems.

Not to mention that you will need to haul your own water for most of the homes. Two of our dogs came down with a mysterious disease and died 1 year after we left Golden Valley and I believe it was hanta virus or possibly some type of Respiratory Staphyloccus Infection. I hesitate to say maybe
M.R.S.A. One way or the other it is still a difficult place to live even if you are stagnant in your personality. Please be advised that if you plan to move to Arizona check the area out thouroughly before you jump in because my experience was that Golden Valley Was Wierd=O=Ville !!!

That is a lot of Golden Valley's problems in a nutshell.

And; too Mohave County in general has the reputation of people who just want to 'get away from it all'-----with the notable exception of Lake Havasu City. There is little love lost between LHC (which used to very nice till about 2001) and especially Kingman.

That stated: Kingman is starting to finally 'grow up' and become a decent place to live sans its poverty stricken poor me attitude

Old 11-02-2007, 07:56 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enochian View Post

Ok. So you were forced to live in a small rural community in the middle of a wide-open desert. I can see why you'd have a chip on your shoulder. However, the decision makers in your family are the ones that brought you there. They chose to move you there by their criteria which undoubtedly included seclusion, low cost of living, and perhaps easy commuting to their jobs.

GV is probably one of the most transparent places on earth. You can see the entire town from any one place -- it's that wide open. You either want to live in the middle of the desert with similar minded folks, or you don't. If you are surprised when you get there, guess what? The problem isn't with the town, it's with you. You chose poorly. Or perhaps your issue is with your family who moved you there. Either way, move on. There's no need trash an entire town because of your own shortcomings.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 11,590 times
Default wtf?

MY Dad bought 2 1/2 acres in Golden Valley in the early 60's. We still have it. We used to go there in the sixties. No-one was there then. We had a pick up and camper and would spend two or three days shooting jackrabbits. We had a lot of fun but never really thought anyone would actually live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona