Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
They look like lobsters
Minus the claws, they dont look like lobsters whatsoever.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:59 AM

189 posts, read 711,147 times
Default How I Control My Scorpions

Haven't read every single post in this huge thread, but here's my scorpion story.

First, I used to have a house in south Austin, TX. Every summer, I'd kill 12 of them in the house -- never saw them in the garage. I think they came in under the door thresholds. Exterminators couldn't seem to do much good. I left cause I couldn't handle it.

Now I live in western Colorado in a subdivision with a wash beyond my back fence -- heaven only knows what lives down there! So last summer was my first in this house (built in '06). I started seeing scorpions in the garage in July '07, then saw a few out on the back patio. I called the exterminator -- she dusted the whole place with boric acid. Also, I put down about 10 flat glue traps on the garage floor -- caught quite a few scorps out there. NEVER have had scorpions in the house here, unlike Texas -- that's two summers I've been here.

Lots of posters on here have said if you control the other bugs, especially crickets, the scorpions will not come around -- no food, no visit. This must be true, cause my glue traps get loaded with crickets and other small bugs and spiders. Only caught about 3 scorps out there this summer, compared to lots last year. One was really long -- never saw one that big in Texas even!

Now I'm thinking about moving to Arizona -- not sure why, cause I am a severe arachnophobic -- if I ever see a tarantula in my house or garage, I will freak out big-time even though I know it's illogical. I can't seem to re-program my brain with education about these creatures. It's a real handicap to be so fearful of anything in nature.

Happy critter-ing.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:26 AM

45 posts, read 233,971 times
My husband and I were hiking a trail a few days ago, and heard a rattlesnake. It was about six feet away and making all kind of noise. We jumped back, and watched it for awhile. It was in his defensive mode, and was ready to stand it's ground. It finally backed up a little, and we scooted by him.

My questions is if one does get a bite, do you hike out and then go to hospital? Or do you sit there and wait for help? We were about an 1 1/2 on foot from houses etc. We are new to the area, and don't have any idea on what should be done. Thanks...

Old 09-30-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug1961 View Post
My husband and I were hiking a trail a few days ago, and heard a rattlesnake. It was about six feet away and making all kind of noise. We jumped back, and watched it for awhile. It was in his defensive mode, and was ready to stand it's ground. It finally backed up a little, and we scooted by him.

My questions is if one does get a bite, do you hike out and then go to hospital? Or do you sit there and wait for help? We were about an 1 1/2 on foot from houses etc. We are new to the area, and don't have any idea on what should be done. Thanks...
Neat experience! Rattlesnakes are amazing creatures who are very despised, sadly.

If you were bit, you should stay and wait for help. Dont panic, a rattlesnake bite is not a certain death sentence like some think it is. If youre alone, use a cellphone to call for help, and give them the best directions to find you.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:29 AM

45 posts, read 233,971 times
Thanks Steve. We have only lived in Prescott three weeks when we saw our first diamond back. Truthfully, I was hoping not to have that experience. On our hikes I was always pretty carefree, not worried at all about what I might come across. I know now that I will have my eyes and ears wide open!

I have asked other people here, and they didn't know for sure what to do. Thanks again.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug1961 View Post
Thanks Steve. We have only lived in Prescott three weeks when we saw our first diamond back. Truthfully, I was hoping not to have that experience. On our hikes I was always pretty carefree, not worried at all about what I might come across. I know now that I will have my eyes and ears wide open!

I have asked other people here, and they didn't know for sure what to do. Thanks again.
Yes, when in the desert, having a "carefree" mentality is dangerous. Its those who let their guards down who are more likely to run into trouble. Always be aware of your surroundings, always keep a sharp ear out as well. I actively look for snakes and even with a trained eye, theyre still darned near impossible to spot if theyre sitting still.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 11,151 times
Default Bark Scorpion?

Hey SteveO! I read through all 18 pages of this thread and think you're given a bad rap in the beginning. I respectively appreciate DML and your posts.

I just moved to AZ 6 weeks ago for a job transfer. And my husband and I were especially excited FOR the creepy crawlers - imagine that! We currently have 11 snakes, 9 lizards, 2 scorpions, and 1 tarantula. My husband, more than me, searches them out. He is a rattlesnake fanatic and is pretty educated on them. However we keep running across these scorpions in wood piles. I was wondering what type they were. We were told they were Bark Scorpions by the locals, but eventually realized EVERYBODY has a story to tell and it usually the worse imaginable...

Here is a picture, hopefully the quality isn't too bad...
Attached Thumbnails
Some facts about scorpions/spiders/snakes in Arizona.-dscf9051.jpg  

Old 10-04-2008, 01:02 PM

94 posts, read 318,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizarack View Post
Hey SteveO! I read through all 18 pages of this thread and think you're given a bad rap in the beginning. I respectively appreciate DML and your posts.

I just moved to AZ 6 weeks ago for a job transfer. And my husband and I were especially excited FOR the creepy crawlers - imagine that! We currently have 11 snakes, 9 lizards, 2 scorpions, and 1 tarantula. My husband, more than me, searches them out. He is a rattlesnake fanatic and is pretty educated on them. However we keep running across these scorpions in wood piles. I was wondering what type they were. We were told they were Bark Scorpions by the locals, but eventually realized EVERYBODY has a story to tell and it usually the worse imaginable...

Doesn't look like a bark scorpion to me, the tail and claws are too thick. SteveO will be along shortly with a more definitive opinion.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizarack View Post

Thanks for the comments! Im glad you love the wildlife in AZ, it really is amazing isnt it?

As for your scorpion, its definitely not a bark scorpion. The chelae (claws) and metasoma (tail) are too large to be a bark scorpion, and the mesosoma/prosoma coloration is also too dark. That looks like a Vaejovis spinigerus, but Im not 100% sure. The stripes on the ventral side of the metasoma (actually shown facing up in your photo) are typical of V. spinigerus. The coloration is very dark though, but it could be a dark morph or something. If you really want it ID'd 100%, contact Eric Ythier (at the website I provided the link to).In any case, its not dangerous, its sting will feel like a bee sting, with similar effects. I believe this is your scorp, just a darker version of it:
The Scorpion Files - Vaejovis spinigerus (Vaejovidae)

Old 10-06-2008, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 11,151 times
Thanks for the info! It is much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona