Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 21,903 times

Advertisements

guess who??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????? keep typing and i will tell you..........oh and by the way im adrian petersons biggest fan

Old 03-08-2009, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 22,005 times
[url=http://www.beestingcure.com/]First-Aid for all types of venomous stings and bites[/url]

Old 03-08-2009, 08:04 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,278,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug1961 View Post
My husband and I were hiking a trail a few days ago, and heard a rattlesnake. It was about six feet away and making all kind of noise. We jumped back, and watched it for awhile. It was in his defensive mode, and was ready to stand it's ground. It finally backed up a little, and we scooted by him.

My questions is if one does get a bite, do you hike out and then go to hospital? Or do you sit there and wait for help? We were about an 1 1/2 on foot from houses etc. We are new to the area, and don't have any idea on what should be done. Thanks...
In March? We were out there in April last year and every person we talked to said the snakes hibernate from November until Mid to late April and do not become really active until May. I was bummed because I really wanted to see one. Strange you seen one at the beginning of March.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:31 PM

41 posts, read 196,841 times
Exclamation Good post

Thanks for giving the information.Its really a nice post.This will definitely help those who lives in Arizona.

Arizona Bark Scorpion with babies

Brown Recluse spider:Though look very delicate but very dangerous

Looks very beautiful but too dangerous one's

Old 03-10-2009, 12:48 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,459,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
In March? We were out there in April last year and every person we talked to said the snakes hibernate from November until Mid to late April and do not become really active until May. I was bummed because I really wanted to see one. Strange you seen one at the beginning of March.
It's been a mild winter, and late Feb early March a little warmer than usual... that may make a difference. I've seen them out sooner than April-May, too.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:15 PM

2 posts, read 43,936 times
How often do people get snakes in their yards? I am thinking of moving to AZ from MN I have young children. I have a cousin in Gilbert who said snakes are not an issue in neighborhoods. They do have scorpion. I realize it's the Desert but which area's would you worry about snakes? Do some area's have more snakes? Do some area's have more scorpion then others?

Old 04-24-2009, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 43,936 times
Can children have sand boxes and swing set in their yard or is that a bad idea with the snakes etc.? I was out in AZ last summer stayed at a hotel in North Phoenix and in Mesa only thing I ever saw was a lizard. I did walk outside the hotel at night without shoes I guess that was a bad idea but never had a problem.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 PM

263 posts, read 1,079,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesunnyaz View Post
How often do people get snakes in their yards? I am thinking of moving to AZ from MN I have young children. I have a cousin in Gilbert who said snakes are not an issue in neighborhoods. They do have scorpion. I realize it's the Desert but which area's would you worry about snakes? Do some area's have more snakes? Do some area's have more scorpion then others?

i lived in that area most my entire life and never once seen a snake. i don't even know anyone that has. now if you get a house much further east, say, superstition springs area where the houses are far apart, then yeah, you'll see more critters.

scropions on the other hand are quite another story. i've only had one in 8+ places i've lived in. my parents get about 3 a month and they are on the very interior of gilbert. so it just depends on how lucky you are i guess. I personally would not live in a house with any measurable scorpion issue, especially if i had kids, but that's just my deal.

what I think you should be more worried about is black widows, considering you have kids. theyw will stay outside and in corners for the most part. they come out at dusk...and man they are something else if you've never seen them before. i had one place where i literally killed about 7 of them in just one night during the summer. i bought some clear caulking and caulked all the corners of the brick walls in the yard, under the house's exterior perimeter, under the beams that held the porch up, garage, interior of the outside storage shed, and pretty mcuh anywhere there was a hole they could hide in during the day. the next summer i maybe had one or two. maybe they didn't like the property tax hike in gilbert, or maybe the caulking worked...but it's my little discovery that appears to have worked.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 AM

28 posts, read 97,436 times
Default You're making me nervous

I have read all the posts here. I'm getting ready to move to AZ soon. I knew all about the "critters" but never realized that the scorpions were so bad as to climb into your bed while you were there! And I have 2 cats that are very curious. I'm more afraid for them. I'm already going to make them change from outdoor cats to totally indoor. That will be tough. But the scorpion threat is scary.
So, now I have some silly(?) questions. If you have an iron or brass headboard, does this discourage them at all (I'm thinking they would not be hiding behind it)? Also, I will be sleeping on a double height Aerobed - no regular mattress or boxspring. Any help there?
Isn't there anything scorpions hate? I've heard that if you put something harsh, like sharp gravel/stones around your house, snakes won't like to cross. Is there any similar idea related to scorpions?
And if you're renovating a house, I had read somewhere that there is wallboard that has some kind of boric acid in it and helps repel some insects. Anyone heard of this?
I'll still move - I'm going to the high desert (maybe less problems there?). But I want to at least be able to get a good night's sleep. I just spent 8 years of having 4-5 hrs/night because of a neighbor's yelping dog.
Last thought: do I have to worry every time I sit on my couch? Do I need to check under the cushions?
Trying to be blase' about this, but it does give me pause.
REMEMBER, I have read ALL the posts. So don't yell at me.
Thanks

Old 05-07-2009, 10:47 PM
FBG

1 posts, read 21,745 times
I have not read all the pages, but I feel like I should say a few things as I have found the page many times over the past years searching for snakes and arachnids I find around the house.

First, Maddy1001: I live roughly 30 miles west of the Tucson area in a cluster of buildings called Three Points. it roughly 3500' above sea level. I get scorpions in my room maybe once or twice a year. That is all. Living this far out of town 10 years ago I use to see a huge diversity of snakes, bugs, scorpions, arachnids, mammals, and everything else in between. Now that there are more and more people moving in and around my area the animals are moving away. here is the latest scorpion I have seen in my room.

last year I only saw a single snake, when 5 years ago it would be over 10. granted the snake was a baby rattle snake...
He is curled under a cotton wood leaf not 5" wide. I am standing about 2' from him.

I do shake out my bed sheets and pillow as well as wiping off the sheet beneath the cover to be on the safe side. being safe and cautious is the key. I have never been bitten of stung by anything harmful. I have 4 cats and two dogs and none of them have been bitten or stung either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona