Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 03:02 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,444,370 times

Advertisements

Im gonna cover my butt: KIDS, DONT TRY THAT (^) AT HOME!!!!

Old 08-30-2007, 03:08 PM

39,099 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Not as big as the first one that's for sure . I've never seen a black one here only the garden variety bark scorps. The biggest was maybe two inches long - good size - the biggest I have seen. It was hiding under a wet towel we had put down to pick up water that spilled from the dog dish. They are flat Stanleys now.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:27 PM

18 posts, read 84,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
After a lull, the scorpions have returned to my place. We killed 4 or 5 in the last month. Big devils too. I found several outside but don't count those in the total. It's kind of interesting. We live on a "preserve" lot and have a lot of scorpions. Neighbors just across the street have never seen one.
I saw a report on the local news that stated the scorpions will not cross asphalt...too hot. So, if you back to open space, you are more likely to see scorpions in your home than your neighbor is if they back to another home or something other than open space.

Also, this is my third home in the valley and never had them in my home prior to living in this home. We are surrounded by open preserve.

You just need to get used to them and put a pair of flip flops on your night stand in case you need to get out of bed in the middle of the night.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Not as big as the first one that's for sure . I've never seen a black one here only the garden variety bark scorps. The biggest was maybe two inches long - good size - the biggest I have seen. It was hiding under a wet towel we had put down to pick up water that spilled from the dog dish. They are flat Stanleys now.
Sounds typical, they usually seek out moisture. From the sound of it, those were bark scorpions, they can be 2-3". Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnDreamer View Post
I saw a report on the local news that stated the scorpions will not cross asphalt...too hot. So, if you back to open space, you are more likely to see scorpions in your home than your neighbor is if they back to another home or something other than open space.

Also, this is my third home in the valley and never had them in my home prior to living in this home. We are surrounded by open preserve.

You just need to get used to them and put a pair of flip flops on your night stand in case you need to get out of bed in the middle of the night.
Scorpions can and will cross asphalt. They wont do it in the middle of the day of course as theyre nocturnal, but you can see them at night crossing roads all the time. Heat doesnt bother them as long as theyre not directly in the blazing sun for hours. They have exoskeletons and walk on tiny little claws called "ungues", so hot pavement doesnt really bother them.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:53 PM

39,099 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnDreamer View Post

The shoes are good advice. Most of our stings have been in the foot from stepping on one. I got stung in the head laying on the carpet one night. Felt this thing tickling my ear and swatted at it. Bam!

Old 08-30-2007, 04:03 PM

683 posts, read 2,653,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Heat doesnt bother them as long as theyre not directly in the blazing sun for hours. They have exoskeletons and walk on tiny little claws called "ungues", so hot pavement doesnt really bother them
An atomic bomb can't take out a scorpion! You can freeze them in a block of ice for weeks and thaw them out with a blowtorch and they emerge unharmed!

Check out this video

Movie Player (http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/movies/moviePlayer.php?movie=movies/scorpion%20freeze.flv - broken link)

Old 08-30-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
An atomic bomb can't take out a scorpion! You can freeze them in a block of ice for weeks and thaw them out with a blowtorch and they emerge unharmed!

Check out this video

Movie Player (http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/movies/moviePlayer.php?movie=movies/scorpion%20freeze.flv - broken link)

Yes, there are certain species in the Andes that can withstand being frozen solid, then return to life when thawed. Most other species will most certainly die when exposed to prolonged freezing temps, hence why they dont exist north of the Mason-Dixon where temps become too cold for year-round survival.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:58 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,088,403 times
Nothing like a couple of boys talking bugs! he he he

Old 08-31-2007, 11:36 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,329,204 times
Default What kind of scorpion is this?

Okay all you scorpion experts out there. Here's a pic of the scorpion I stepped on in my garage last night! Didn't even know he was there til I heard a *crunch* under my sandal. (Did you get that? I was wearing sandals!!!) I'm sorry but these things do scare me. This is the first scorpion I've seen this year. Time to call the exterminator I guess.

But I'm really curious as to whether or not this is the infamous bark scorpion and IF I was ever bit by one of these, do I just put Caladryl on the bite, or do I rush off to the emergency room?
Attached Thumbnails
Some facts about scorpions/spiders/snakes in Arizona.-scorpion-.jpg  

Last edited by Gretchen B; 08-31-2007 at 11:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona