Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2007, 03:55 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,755,570 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the information Steve-O. I tried to give you a point, but I have to spread some around first. Thanks again.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:56 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,416,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Thanks for the information Steve-O. I tried to give you a point, but I have to spread some around first. Thanks again.
No problemo.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:47 AM

1 posts, read 11,456 times
Default Scorpions DO play dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
They dont play dead per se, theyre just freaked out and dont move. They sense movement via setae, or fine little hairs that are all over their bodies. When something too big comes along, they freeze, hoping to avoid detection.
I've put them under a glass to wait for someone else to deal with & later came back to find it turned over and played dead! I respect whatever thoughts are in those creatures...

Old 02-16-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevilkat View Post
I've put them under a glass to wait for someone else to deal with & later came back to find it turned over and played dead! I respect whatever thoughts are in those creatures...
Well then, youve just found something that scorpiologists the world over cannot prove. Theres no need for scorpions to play dead, and putting themselves on their backs only makes them that much easier to kill. Animals that play dead emit noxious fumes that make them unattractive to potential predators (ie opossums, some snake species, etc). Scorpions do not emit any scents, and lying on their backs would only invite them to get eaten. Flip a scorpion over sometime, see how fast and frantic it tries to upright itself.

Let me offer an explanation as to perhaps why it was on its back. First off, they cannot climb glass, it probably was attempting to climb the glass and flipped over, Ive seen MANY of my scorpions do that. When on their backs (which scorpions HATE--leaves them vulnerable to attack), they use their stingers (aculeus) and "tails" (metasoma) to upright themselves. Many times the stinger will get caught in the substrate (in this case, wood) and they cannot get upright.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:39 AM

641 posts, read 2,367,483 times
I have been stung by two scorpions. One was black, and one was kind of see through.
For me I felt tingling, and numbness and funny feelings for about 8 hours. I have Chronic Inflammitory Demylinating Polyneuropathy, from Gullian barre, and I can tell you the neurologial pain from that hurts worst than the scorpian sting. CIDP is like having scorpian stings all over your body when it relapses. So for me mabey its a matter of what you are used to. We move into our new home in AZ city tommorow, and I was talking to the neighbor thier, and she said our home has a scorpion problem. When I lived in the outskirts of NM, my pool deck at night was litterly covered with them. We also got those horrid centipedes. The worse one, I was getting out of the tub,
and had the towel. I walked by the mirror, and on the outside of the towel was one that was a half a foot long. I freaked. Imagine if I put the towel on the other direction. They charge at you too! But I have lived with scorpions before , but I also have 5 cats and I have trained them all to be bug killers. I say bug and they come running, so in my house at least I dont usually have too much of a problem. When I got stung I was outside in the rocks barefoot . I have seen one inside my current home in 4 years, but im sure that will change when I move. I also have a black light. They do like moisture and the front of my new house does not get sun, and there is a lot of mud. Fist thing I plan on is putting some bushes in there that will soak up that water. Will also spray outside the house for other creepy crawlies. I have been bit by a recloose and black widow, but not in this state. The black widow bite was worse for me than the scorpian sting ever was,
because I cramped so bad, and was so sick to my stomach. Then they gave me demerol and I had an allergic reaction to that. That was pure hell. I got luck with the recluse, it was a minor skin surface bite, I do have a small scar, but nothing bad.

Ama

Old 02-17-2008, 03:46 AM

641 posts, read 2,367,483 times
Default re

Here is a link to the personw ho was bit by a hairy one. They do exist. Arizona Pest Control Scorpian Removal (http://www.azpest.com/residential/scorpions.html - broken link)

Old 05-20-2008, 12:49 AM

5 posts, read 21,739 times
Hey DML, I recently moved here to Tucson, Arizona from Illinois and I absolutly love it. I don't know much about scorpions, and it is quite obvious you do. Actually I got on here just now after killing one in my living room. It didn't sting me but it tried. I have searched the web for awhile looking at pictures of every scorpion in Arizona and have decide that it was not a bark scorpion, but a [SIZE=2]STRIPE-TAILED SCORPION. What do you know about this species, because all I can find here on the internet is short non-descript little tidbits. Also there is quite alot of construction across the street, should I expect more to be stirred up from this? [/SIZE]

Old 05-20-2008, 08:09 AM

6 posts, read 34,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Joseph View Post
Hey DML, I recently moved here to Tucson, Arizona from Illinois and I absolutly love it. I don't know much about scorpions, and it is quite obvious you do. Actually I got on here just now after killing one in my living room. It didn't sting me but it tried. I have searched the web for awhile looking at pictures of every scorpion in Arizona and have decide that it was not a bark scorpion, but a [SIZE=2]STRIPE-TAILED SCORPION. What do you know about this species, because all I can find here on the internet is short non-descript little tidbits. Also there is quite alot of construction across the street, should I expect more to be stirred up from this? [/SIZE]
STRIPE-TAILED SCORPION

Another genus frequently found is the devil or stripe-tailed scorpion group (Vaejovis spp.). There are several Vaejovid species found in Arizona. They are intermediate in size (1-2 inches in length) and are more robust than bark scorpions.

The stripe-tailed scorpion is typically found under many surface objects (including sleeping bags, shoes, etc.) where it digs a short burrow or "scrape" for protection. This species is normally an obligate burrower, digging burrows about one meter deep in gravel soils.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBound10 View Post
STRIPE-TAILED SCORPION

Another genus frequently found is the devil or stripe-tailed scorpion group (Vaejovis spp.). There are several Vaejovid species found in Arizona. They are intermediate in size (1-2 inches in length) and are more robust than bark scorpions.

The stripe-tailed scorpion is typically found under many surface objects (including sleeping bags, shoes, etc.) where it digs a short burrow or "scrape" for protection. This species is normally an obligate burrower, digging burrows about one meter deep in gravel soils.
Yay! Another person who knows something about scorpions! Good to have you aboard! Please feel free to educate people about scorpions, Im getting tired of it.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:15 AM

99 posts, read 386,882 times
"As far as the brown recluse spider is concerned, the true brown recluse (Loxosceles Reclusa) does not exist in Arizona, despite what anyone tells you. Click the link below and see the distribution map of the true brown recluse.

Brown Recluse Spider
finger is presented and struck."

I guess it depends on which website you go to this websites states that they are in some areas of AZ. So who know??

Protect yourself from Brown Recluse Spiders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona