Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:49 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1001 View Post
I have read all the posts here. I'm getting ready to move to AZ soon. I knew all about the "critters" but never realized that the scorpions were so bad as to climb into your bed while you were there! And I have 2 cats that are very curious. I'm more afraid for them. I'm already going to make them change from outdoor cats to totally indoor. That will be tough. But the scorpion threat is scary.

Last thought: do I have to worry every time I sit on my couch? Do I need to check under the cushions?
Trying to be blase' about this, but it does give me pause.
REMEMBER, I have read ALL the posts. So don't yell at me.
Thanks
I think your cats should do just fine. From my experience my cats actually killed some scorpions (of course, if I saw the scorpion first I would kill it and not let my cats get it, just in case). I don't know if they ever got stung, but if so it didn't hurt them.

And I wouldn't worry everytime you sit on your couch, bed, etc. You will just become over paranoid!! Yeah there are plenty of scopions, but you aren't going to find them everywhere like you may be thinking.

The past few years of me living in Mesa & Gilbert I have only seen about one scorpion a year in my home. When I lived in Safford I probably saw 3-4 scorpions in my home each year. So, just don't worry about it too much is what I say. Just spray your house with bug killer (inside and out) a few times a year.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:47 PM

4 posts, read 25,989 times
I have lived in AZ now for more than 20 years and have seen only 2 scorpions in my house. That said, I always shake out my shoes and check the bed. My SO came within inches of stepping on a scorpion barefoot.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,679 times
It also depends a lot on where a person lives. I am on the open desert... I have an exterminator, too (their number is on speed dial.) I tend to get a LOT of scorpions, Arizona recluses, and even desert mice. If there's an area with new contruction going on, expect to see the creepies since they are being displaced.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,040 times
Unhappy Snake control myth

It's a myth that the fire department will remove snakes for you out of your home or yard. I had a rattle snake in my front yard a few years ago and tried to call the fire department. They told me they don't retrieve snakes and I would need to contact a local snake control professional. Luckily I was able to trap the snake into one spot until I located a professional to come get it and take it out to the desert.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:41 AM

923 posts, read 1,430,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonLPN View Post
It's a myth that the fire department will remove snakes for you out of your home or yard. I had a rattle snake in my front yard a few years ago and tried to call the fire department. They told me they don't retrieve snakes and I would need to contact a local snake control professional. Luckily I was able to trap the snake into one spot until I located a professional to come get it and take it out to the desert.
It's not a myth, some fire departments do remove rattlesnakes from your property for you. Guess it depends on where you live.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,715 times
So what do you do when you find scorpions in your house? Do you squash them? I live in the midwest and can't even imagine living in a place with these critters. We have spiders and I can't get close enough to kill them, so I just spray them with cleaning spray or something. I am planning a trip to visit AZ so was just curious. Not sure if I can handle it after reading all your posts!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 5,552 times
from what ive seen the best advice (aside from the bees) is just leave them alone. most animals wont attack you unless you bug them first. most of nature follows this rule, don't bother me i wont bother you. you cant say "all i was doing was trying to catch it and it stung me" to an animal most aggression is either predatory or territorial. if something massive compared to you started harassing you would you be like "sure go ahead put me in a jar" no you'd run or fight back. a very good rule to make animals leave you alone if they're in your yard is just keep your distance and make annoying noise and they'll just leave. most animals express "get off mah yard" like this. physically removing things inst usually necessary. noise doesn't bother "bugs" as much as other things but air pressure changes does so just fan them or shoot them with a hose a little they'll usually just leave. that's what i do.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:15 AM

115 posts, read 291,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEwife View Post
So what do you do when you find scorpions in your house? Do you squash them? I live in the midwest and can't even imagine living in a place with these critters. We have spiders and I can't get close enough to kill them, so I just spray them with cleaning spray or something. I am planning a trip to visit AZ so was just curious. Not sure if I can handle it after reading all your posts!
Yep, just like you handle critters there you KILL scorpions here. The situation isn't as bad as some people on here make it out to be. There areas that have more scorpions than others but really it's not that bad. I wouldn't change my trip plans over the possibility of finding a scorpion.

I don't really like tornadoes but that hasn't stopped me from visiting the midwest.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 5,552 times
its probably an evolutionary trait. the smaller baby snake makes up for being vulnerable by having more venom and using it so animals dont bug them.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:30 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud0 View Post
its probably an evolutionary trait. the smaller baby snake makes up for being vulnerable by having more venom and using it so animals dont bug them.
No they don't have more venom. An adult snake has far more venom. However, a baby rattler doesn't have the muscular control of the adult and will typically release their entire load of venom on a single bite. Whereas an adult will ration its venom for subsequent bites if necessary. Reference: http://www.reptilechannel.com/media/...ths-2.aspx.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona