Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2007, 06:00 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times

Advertisements

If you are over 10 or less than 70 and in reasonable health then you just tough it out. There's no stinger to remove. In fact, it's hard to see anything. It stings like a bee sting but worse, then the area near the sting slowly gets numb (pins and needles feeling). If you get any difficult breathing or other non-local stuff then call 911.

Garage is, in my experience, the worst place for them. I have seen more in the garage than anywhere else. Be vigilant out there. And the exterminator is not going to do much. You can't poison them easily (scorps not exterminators), but killing off their food supply can help I guess. My thought is that an occasional nip from a scorpion may be better than constant exposure to pesticides.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 09-01-2007 at 06:08 AM..

Old 09-01-2007, 09:29 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,329,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If you are over 10 or less than 70 and in reasonable health then you just tough it out. There's no stinger to remove. In fact, it's hard to see anything. It stings like a bee sting but worse, then the area near the sting slowly gets numb (pins and needles feeling). If you get any difficult breathing or other non-local stuff then call 911.

Garage is, in my experience, the worst place for them. I have seen more in the garage than anywhere else. Be vigilant out there. And the exterminator is not going to do much. You can't poison them easily (scorps not exterminators), but killing off their food supply can help I guess. My thought is that an occasional nip from a scorpion may be better than constant exposure to pesticides.
So what do they like to eat (scorps not exterminators)?

Old 09-01-2007, 10:03 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,732,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
LMBO @ Gretchen . . . GOOD ONE! ! ! ! !

Old 09-02-2007, 02:57 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,448,457 times
Quote:
Okay all you scorpion experts out there. Here's a pic of the scorpion I stepped on in my garage last night! Didn't even know he was there til I heard a *crunch* under my sandal. (Did you get that? I was wearing sandals!!!) I'm sorry but these things do scare me. This is the first scorpion I've seen this year. Time to call the exterminator I guess.

But I'm really curious as to whether or not this is the infamous bark scorpion and IF I was ever bit by one of these, do I just put Caladryl on the bite, or do I rush off to the emergency room?
Thats a Vaejovis spinigerus (pronounced Vy-joe-viss spin-a-gair-us), a harmless species. Notice how thick the segments are on the metasoma (tail)? If it were a Centruroides species (ie AZ bark scorpion), those segments would be very slender.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Pretty much anything that they can take down. Examples: crickets, spiders (including tarantulas and black widows), cockroaches, small lizards, grasshoppers, other scorpions, etc, etc.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:29 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,329,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats a Vaejovis spinigerus (pronounced Vy-joe-viss spin-a-gair-us), a harmless species. Notice how thick the segments are on the metasoma (tail)? If it were a Centruroides species (ie AZ bark scorpion), those segments would be very slender.
Whew! That's a relief! Thanks for the info.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:49 PM

338 posts, read 1,625,986 times
I do agree with the original poster that being afraid to move to Arizona because of fear of spiders, snakes and scorpions is a bit much. I have lived in Arizona for 28 years and I have seen several scorpions over the years and I was just stung by a bark scorpion on Saturday for the first time (the bark scorpion is the most dangerous scorpion in Arizona). Well....I lived to tell about it! The little critter was in my bed! I was reaching for the remote control and my arm went right on it and it stung me. I immediately suspected that it was a scorpion sting because we had just seen and killed one in our apartment 4 days prior and we have a problem with scorpions because we live next to a mountain preserve.

When it stung me, it felt like a pin prick and then a few minutes the real pain started kicking in. It was like a burning, piercing pain that lasted 5 hours. Then little goose pimple like bumps started to form around the sting site which started out as a little white bump and then later turned red. I called Poison Control and they told me it was hardly ever fatal and that the venom will attack my central nervous system but it does not enter the blood stream. I was told I would experience pain, numbness, or even muscle twitching or spasms and I may feel like a have a lump in my throat or I may have a salty or bitter taste in my mouth. She said the worst of the symptoms should subside after 6 hours but some symptoms could linger for as long as 3 weeks.

The only symptoms I experienced were pain and numbness and feeling a little out of sorts. The area where I was stung is still partially numb after 36 hours. We purchased a black light flashlight yesterday and will be using it every night before bed just to be safe.

All in all, my experience was not THAT bad--- although unpleasant, I have been through a lot worse experiences in my life. BTW, I am a healthy 35 year old female and I weigh 115 pounds. I wonder if I was a bigger person, if the venom would have affected me less... I read that size can play a factor so very small children may react badly and also elderly people or people with compromised immune systems. I am most concerned for my two small dogs who weigh 13 and 18 lbs.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:18 PM

Sounds like the typical bark scorpion sting symptoms. Im just curious, did you find yourself sweating at all or having uncontrollable tongue movements?

Old 09-11-2007, 10:42 AM

338 posts, read 1,625,986 times
No tongue movements but Poison control did tell me that may happen. I felt like I was having hot flashes all night after I was stung. Even today, it is still slightly numb right on the surface of the skin at the sting site. That venom is sure potent!

BTW, I forgot to mention in my previous post that my b/f did find the scorpion after it stung me and it fit the description of a bark scorpion.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:28 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,763,880 times
Hmm. It sort of sounds like childbirth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona