Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:18 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,815 times

Advertisements

It's pretty much bad all over, and that's not limited to the US either if you watch to news.
Only the truck rental companies seem to be making money while people move around trying to find work or a cheaper place to live.
Just the facts as I see them.
The fat lady has no sung yet, hang in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 03:34 PM

299 posts, read 666,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Perhaps if an area has a bad climate, then this encourages people to work harder, and they achieve more in their careers and earn more money. On the other hand, if the weather is great, this encourages people to become lazy and less motivated to succeed. Could this be true?
As someone who moved from Arizona to Washington 8 months ago, I can honestly say that what you stated is 100% spot on!

Old 10-30-2011, 03:52 PM

221 posts, read 598,082 times
Quote:
Perhaps if an area has a bad climate, then this encourages people to work harder, and they achieve more in their careers and earn more money. On the other hand, if the weather is great, this encourages people to become lazy and less motivated to succeed. Could this be true?

That's an old, old theory and has lost its basis since the advent of climate control.

It's also been discredited because it's a bit tinged with racism: Dark-skinned people from warmer equatorial regions never came up with a space program--that sort of thing. Is that because of the weather or because . . . ????

Anyway, if climate were a determinant, Michigan, Wisconsin, Northern Ohio, and Upstate New York should be full of real go-getters instead of shellshocked former union employees refusing any job offer of less than $40/hr as an affront to their dignity.

So, no.

What is true is that people move to Phoenix and other places with a nice climate not because they want to wreck themselves working some crap job 80 hours per week in hopes of one day affording a really nice garden hose hanger before dying at the age of 59, but because they want to actually enjoy life and partake of some leisure activities besides cribbage and ice-fishing.

The thing is that a good part of the economy of the Valley depends on people wanting to move here to enjoy life. When fewer people are able to move here, our local economy suffers. A lot of wealth in the Valley is based on real-estate and development.

Thus, I wouldn't endorse a nose-to-the-grindstone work ethic for the Valley. It's not in keeping with the spirit of the place. It's more suited to the deathly hallows of Cleveland or something. . . . and we all see how that worked out. . .

Old 10-30-2011, 06:35 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
Zillow says my house is up in value 9900 in the last 30 days...not bad considering it only cost me 18,500. Condo is up 3500. You want to see doom and gloom go to Las Vegas..now that is a bad economy. Even though our State Motto should be "part time, temporary" it still could be way worse. Go to any other psuedo international city, and see what 50 psf will get you there.......
Prices overshot on the way up, as they did on the way down...it's the nature of bubbles. I sold in 8-2005 and bought a house in Thailand (for a few years). My buying power increased dramatically, while I was away. I honestly thought things would have been more back to normal by now. Oh well, I planned, made a back-up plan, and executed. When the job that brought me here fizzled in 1996, I began working as a Substitute Teacher in the Madison School District for 60 USD per day....it paid my mortgage...I think it was then that I realized just how hard up for cash a lot of people are in the Valley. The housing crash was easier to spot than a freight train for me....wages just didn't add up.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:42 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Yes the weather is glorious right now, this past summer (my second full summer) was way too hot and too long, but record temps...OMG...am I leaving, NO! We just bought a house I will never leave if up to me, we own two others, one in MN and a boat anchor, but rented, another in AK that is rented, but going on the market....I would not go back to either one, remember, you reap what you sow, and no place is utopia in all regards....Oh and if you want to join the higher ups you speak of, go for it...but figure your bottom line in the process because since posting this, you are no where close yet....otherwise, be resourceful

Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecoming View Post
As someone who moved from Arizona to Washington 8 months ago, I can honestly say that what you stated is 100% spot on!
As someone coming from a place that was like Seattle or worse, I have to disagree. It has everything to do with the quality of the employers. Employers out here don't have to give you lunch, and some don't, or give a monkey butt if something happens to you. Unless you have a PHD in nanoscience, a doctor, or some other highly skilled profession YOU ARE GARBAGE to this state. Pure and simple.

As proven in many posts, prove the "garbage" statement and state, "if you don't like it leave." Why exactly would I go back? That was my past and I have no family there, it wouldn't make sense.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:13 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,986 times
Quote:
I see that the northeastern USA is expecting a big snowstorm this weekend, and it is still October.

In Arizona, we have outstanding weather, with daytime temperatures right now in the 80's F with no chance of snow. However, the economy in Arizona is very poor, with high unemployment, low wages, and declining home prices.

Why can't our economy, and other aspects of our quality of life, be as good as our climate in Arizona? What causes places like Arizona that have a great climate to have a poor quality of life in so many other areas, while places that have terrible climates have higher per-capita incomes and superior qualities of life in other areas?

As a someone from a 4 season state that visited and considered moving to Arizona, these are my thoughts. Great climate is all a matter of opinion. I personally don't think I could handle the summers and like that winter spring summer and fall are right outside my window and not a drive to another part of the state to enjoy. I'd wage that Michigan has a terrible climate in your opinion, although I think it makes me appreciate summer more and the heat makes me look forward to cooler weather and the cold weather makes me look forward to warmer weather. I don't think I'll ever move from here.
Although Michigan is still climbing up from the fall, the company I work for has had the largest growth of any other plant in the country and we continue to get busier and busier. Even if I could adapt to the climate of Arizona my wage here is just shy of $19 an hour where our plant in Phoenix starts people out at around $10 an hour maxing at around $14.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
As a someone from a 4 season state that visited and considered moving to Arizona, these are my thoughts. Great climate is all a matter of opinion. I personally don't think I could handle the summers and like that winter spring summer and fall are right outside my window and not a drive to another part of the state to enjoy. I'd wage that Michigan has a terrible climate in your opinion, although I think it makes me appreciate summer more and the heat makes me look forward to cooler weather and the cold weather makes me look forward to warmer weather. I don't think I'll ever move from here.
Although Michigan is still climbing up from the fall, the company I work for has had the largest growth of any other plant in the country and we continue to get busier and busier. Even if I could adapt to the climate of Arizona my wage here is just shy of $19 an hour where our plant in Phoenix starts people out at around $10 an hour maxing at around $14.
Sounds like relocation time. Ask Sub-zero.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:02 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
You're very smart to stay.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:53 PM

168 posts, read 502,548 times
Higher wages don't always make for better quality of life. I make less than my brother does in SOCAL, but I have much more than he could ever have there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona