Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 PM

129 posts, read 336,248 times

Advertisements

if you had to pick one, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymanero View Post
if you had to pick one, and why?
What an absurd question. The type of person who would live in a city with 1.5 million people couldn't be more different than somebody who wants to live in a resort town with 41,000 people.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:47 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,644,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
What an absurd question. The type of person who would live in a city with 1.5 million people couldn't be more different than somebody who wants to live in a resort town with 41,000 people.
Sheesh! That was a little harsh, wasn't it? It's a legitimate question.
Me personally, I could live in both but prefer the phoenix area a little more for several reasons. Just more things to do around here. More bodies of water for me to explore and more outdoor opportunities although I must admit, living in a smaller town has it's perks as well.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,562 times
Well I for one have worked and lived in most every corner of the Phoenix Valley but preferred the Goodyear area I could Mountain bike at Estrella or White Tanks during the cooler months head to the White Mountains to the lakes or fish at Bartlett or Lake Pleasant. Everything I needed was in the area that I required for Shopping and never really needed to go East of 99th Ave and I-10.
Lake Havasu now is totally a different Animal, there are plenty of offroad trails to explore and hike during the winter. During the summer when I have a job there I get started at Sunup or earlier because it can be a real scorcher during the summer working outdoors.
Just like here in Kingman I wish the White Mountains were closer so I could do a weekend fishing trip but not really possible.
Havasu has some shopping but again it maybe a trip to Vegas or the Internet for most things required where in Phoenix its all available.
Summers in Havasu are HOT and Winter the Snowbirds flock to town causing congestion

Old 02-28-2012, 11:10 AM

58 posts, read 188,903 times
I agree with Kdog, apples and oranges question. Personally, I like oranges better.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
It truly is apples and oranges. Havasu is a nice place to visit, but live there, no. Aside from the lack of enough amenities in Havasu, I like to see a little grass and a tree or two now and then. I've never been anywhere so devoid of both.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:47 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It truly is apples and oranges. Havasu is a nice place to visit, but live there, no. Aside from the lack of enough amenities in Havasu, I like to see a little grass and a tree or two now and then. I've never been anywhere so devoid of both.
I've driven thru Havasu so I know what you mean; it's rough there with no decent shade trees. Even Bullhead is better.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:59 PM

35 posts, read 117,414 times
I have a second home in Havasu and love it! However, I would not be able to live here year round. I am looking at Wyoming when I retire. True enough that Havasu does not have any trees but hey, we are in the desert! I have a home there because I have a boat and I am on the water every chance I get. Havasu is great for what is is not. Is has a low crime rate, no traffic, no graffiti, no smog and a great sense of community - great for the retirement crowd. One huge drawback in Havasu is the level of healthcare. It is simply substandard. As opposed to Phoenix, it has great medical care, more restaurants,movie theaters,shopping etc. It also has a high crime rate, traffic, graffiti, smog and tons of people! So, for me its Havasu... Phoenix is too much like L.A.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:28 PM

58 posts, read 188,903 times
Less traffic in the summer maybe, during snowbird season traffic sucks and your better make a restaurant reservation. The 'birds also contribute to the healthcare level as they jam up the hospital and stretch the staffing beyond limits.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:05 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Havasu doesn't even have a significant number of desert trees- mesquite, Palo verde. There's desert, and then there's desert. Other than the mountains, the desert around Havasu is not much to look at. Within the city, I think there are so many part year residents that don't want to have much landscaping upkeep. I've even seen a few of those green gravel yards like you see in the old Sun City.

Last edited by observer53; 03-01-2012 at 06:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona