Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 03:23 PM

23 posts, read 57,424 times

Advertisements

Thanks alyric2 ... sounds like Suddenlink would be similar to Charter here in Reno, or Cox in Vegas. I'm flying to Phoenix in a couple of weeks to get a car and hit Wickenburg, Kingman, Lake Havasu City, and Pahrump (electric company there is rolling out residential fiber very soon) for visits to choose a destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 12:30 PM

6 posts, read 25,079 times
alyric2 THANKS!
We live in Highland, IN. practically neighbors, or were, anyway. lol!
Great input.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:06 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Is it safe to say Kingman is the diner/gas station and motorcycle capitol of AZ?

Old 10-20-2017, 10:17 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno58 View Post
For those living in Kingman ... how is the high-speed internet and cable TV situation? I've been considering Pahrump, NV, Kingman, AZ, and Wickenburg, AZ for my next move and reliable, high-speed internet without any data caps (eg. cable internet) is a must. No video streaming or stuff like that, but my business requires lots of large file transfers via FTP and essentially all day activity doing emails, trading, etc. Pahrump has dropped to the bottom of the list for that reason, and Wickenburg looks a little too small and is considerably more expensive than Kingman. But it would be interesting to know what the internet situation is in Kingman.

I'm 59 and not into night clubbing or that sort of thing ... and lived for 1 year in Henderson, NV in 2014 so have been through Kingman on I-40 a few times but never checked out the area. A quick web search showed only Suddenlink Communications as a cable/internet provider in Kingman ... so looks like a monopoly which usually means horrible service and high rates.
No monopoly and excellent internet service. We used Frontier for cable only (Dish for TV). I too rely on a fast internet net connection for work for both large volume uploads and downloads and always had excellent performance at a reasonable price.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:43 PM

6 posts, read 7,305 times
My husband and i just moved from Kingman last year we lived there 3 years. There is alot to say about it like you i had read all the drug issues extra. Coming orginally from bigger suburbun areas it is no worst than most. I think it just gets brought up beacuse its such a small town therea not much more to identify it. Personally we miss it sooo much. We are young but it is perfect for retirement. Property is cheap you can get anywhere in 10 mins. Ib always thought id hate a small town but you kind of get use to it and everybody knows everybody. Kingman is made up of people from all over the US that kind if just end up there. So its not hard to bmeet people and everyone some how blends together. There is not much of a nightlife or anything to do us the downside. There are 2 breweries 1 wine bar. Those are more modern/urban you could say. And a really nice golf course. Other than that there are a few kind of rough bars and dive bars. Not much to choose from in food or shopping one really small movie theatre and a bowling alley . We get the occasional snow but not bad if you ever miss the snow and trees the Hualapai moutains are a 10 min drive up the mountain. It n is a small isolated city but 25 mins down the road is laughlin nv which is a very mini vegas on the river one ofbthe main reason retirees choose kingman. Then 30 mins from llake havasu kinda like a wanna be florida in the middle of the desert then a little over an hour away from vegas so if you really want something to do all of that is a day trip away. Sedona is super cool as well and gorgeous youre just going to spend more money on living expenses

Old 02-28-2018, 07:14 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
If we had to move to Arizona my personal choice would be, in this order:
Strawberry, Pine, Heber-Overgaard, Show Low, Lakeside, Pinetop, Payson.
We haven't seen Prescott. Jerome is a must see, something out of the fairies, but I couldn't live there permanently.

Sedona is a tourist hub like Carmel or Santa Barbara. One day was enough for me.

We visited Arizona several times before retirement, but we realized that Paradise-Magalia-Chico in the Sierra foothills of California is a much better place for us. Three years later and happily living here my opinion didn't change.
Your mileage might vary.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:34 PM

375 posts, read 609,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
If we had to move to Arizona my personal choice would be, in this order:
Strawberry, Pine, Heber-Overgaard, Show Low, Lakeside, Pinetop, Payson.
We haven't seen Prescott. Jerome is a must see, something out of the fairies, but I couldn't live there permanently.

Sedona is a tourist hub like Carmel or Santa Barbara. One day was enough for me.

We visited Arizona several times before retirement, but we realized that Paradise-Magalia-Chico in the Sierra foothills of California is a much better place for us. Three years later and happily living here my opinion didn't change.
Your mileage might vary.
I checked out Paradise on Wiki and Zillow because I hadn't heard of it. Took a drive down several areas on Google street view. That area does look tempting. Not far from Chico also.
Well - You let the secret out. LOL
IMO You chose well.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:52 PM

75 posts, read 99,336 times
any new insights on Kingman (March 2017) or updates on these posts? we will be coming into Kingman next week ... planning on moving back to AZ after a long hiatus now that I've retired

Old 03-16-2018, 10:44 PM

59 posts, read 140,157 times
Still glad we moved here. Love the low utility bills and affordable cost of living. Great weather compared to the Midwest or East coast. They are building a Dunkin donuts, Jersey Mikes, Menchies yogurt,a pizza place, Human Bean, Perkins, and I think a Dairy Queen in the old Pacos tacos. Also a Stuff It Burger, and Victoria's Sugar Shack both on Northern Ave. Friendly people (for the most part) Small town feel, Nice downtown area.A lot of new homes going up in all price ranges. The prices of homes are going up. People here seem to like pick up trucks and 4 wheelers/ATV's and dogs.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:55 PM

555 posts, read 595,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyric2 View Post
Still glad we moved here. Love the low utility bills and affordable cost of living. Great weather compared to the Midwest or East coast. They are building a Dunkin donuts, Jersey Mikes, Menchies yogurt,a pizza place, Human Bean, Perkins, and I think a Dairy Queen in the old Pacos tacos. Also a Stuff It Burger, and Victoria's Sugar Shack both on Northern Ave. Friendly people (for the most part) Small town feel, Nice downtown area.A lot of new homes going up in all price ranges. The prices of homes are going up. People here seem to like pick up trucks and 4 wheelers/ATV's and dogs.
Wow, good to hear! We have considered Kingman in the past but I think it's just a little too small for me. Maybe if you get a Costco... But a Dunkin' Donuts and a Menchies? Awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona