Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 02:31 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,997,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
The ad isn't being run by McSally and that isn't what the ad says at all. What Sinema said in 2007 is horseshoe*t though and she successfully got the bill altered.

The entire point was to curb child prostitution by making people who solicit MUCH more responsible but Sinema, and others, got the bill changed to give those people an excuse, the bill as passed has an exception that's something like if the prostitute reasonably looked of age then no felony for you. Basically she stated that young looking child prostitutes are bad because they look their age but older looking child prostitutes aren't as bad. So remember, if you are going to pimp a minor just make sure she reasonably looks of age...

Here is the entirety of what she said.
Yes and no. The bill wanted to impose strict liability on Johns—i.e, no matter what you knew or were aware of, you are guilty. Kinda like statutory rape.

She was raising the point that there should be a mental state requirement (like you knew or should have known the prostitute was a minor) since the penalties are harsh. They wouldn’t get off, but they’d be allowed to present a defense.

Her statements were probably better suited for a law school classroom, but I’d rather have policy makers who debate the bills rather than “rah rah criminals are bad (unless they’re me).” Sometimes ideas get fleshed out better and you get better policy as a result.

In this instance she ended up voting for the bill anyway. The policy of putting a mental state requirement could back fire pretty easily.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:58 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,255,821 times
Thanks for the explanation. The date used on the ad was '07, so years before I moved here. I appreciate knowing what was actually said about this issue.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:39 PM

499 posts, read 474,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
But securing the boarder against illegal crossings is ok, right? Or will that also ruin our trade relationship with Mexico?
Border (not boarder) crossing arrests in Arizona have steadily decreased from 616,000 in 2000 to 38,700 in fiscal year 2017, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection data. That's about a 95% decrease over 17 years. The hype about border crossings is just that--hype. Further, economic data show that Mexicans working in the U.S. are net tax positive, meaning they pay more in incomes, sales and indirect taxes than they cost in any kind of public benefits (and they cannot receive most public benefits). And to your question, yes, our trade agreements with Mexico keep a lot of people in this country employed, so screwing that up isn't a great idea.

This sort of policy is an "us vs. them" policy that seeks to single out a particular group and make them suspect. It's petty and beneath us as Americans.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:32 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,748,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
Border (not boarder) crossing arrests in Arizona have steadily decreased from 616,000 in 2000 to 38,700 in fiscal year 2017, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection data. That's about a 95% decrease over 17 years. The hype about border crossings is just that--hype. Further, economic data show that Mexicans working in the U.S. are net tax positive, meaning they pay more in incomes, sales and indirect taxes than they cost in any kind of public benefits (and they cannot receive most public benefits). And to your question, yes, our trade agreements with Mexico keep a lot of people in this country employed, so screwing that up isn't a great idea.

This sort of policy is an "us vs. them" policy that seeks to single out a particular group and make them suspect. It's petty and beneath us as Americans.

Jeez, simple questions (Is it still ok to secure the border against illegal crossings? And how will securing the border against illegal crossings ruin our trade relationship?) And I get a paragraph of highly debatable talking points and no answer. Oh, and a spelling lesson. Thank you very much.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:54 AM

344 posts, read 644,848 times
As a retired 11BM (Bullet magnet) I have to support McSally. I live in S Vista, am often teaching classes on range 3 and I can say that Obama darn near destroyed the Army. My buddies have done deployment after deployment bcause the Signal units and Special Forces units have been down sized so badly that a soldier is lucky to have 6 months home before another 9 month to a year deployment. Two of them at Ft. Huachuca who I knew well committed suicide.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:25 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,958,014 times
Turns Out Kyrsten Sinema’s “Homeless” Past Included A Home
https://hotair.com/archives/2018/09/...included-home/

Quote:
Allow me to offer a tip of the hat to the New York Times who did some serious digging and obtained court records showing that the family had been paying electric, phone, and gas bills the entire time. The gas station wasn’t exactly abandoned. It was closed but owned by a family member. And since it had a working toilet it obviously had running water.
So sinema has been caught in several big lies.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:25 AM

381 posts, read 346,843 times
Liberals will stop at nothing to push their agenda and have become increasingly desperate as their grip on power has slipped away. Beware the caged animal with nothing to lose. We are witnessing this with Kavanaugh, Russia, etc.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:29 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,941,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Turns Out Kyrsten Sinema’s “Homeless” Past Included A Home
https://hotair.com/archives/2018/09/...included-home/

So sinema has been caught in several big lies.
shocking!
A politician making up stories, and exaggerating about their past..

Wonder how long until this makes it to the next McSally Attack ad..

Old 09-29-2018, 08:44 PM

221 posts, read 194,020 times
Pastime pursuits for each woman are intense. Each have completed the Hawaii Ironman. Recent story in the WSJ had deep coverage which detailed their sweat motivation.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:28 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,748,296 times
So, does Sinema air an Obama endorsement ad or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona