Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 06:00 PM

5 posts, read 8,753 times

Advertisements

By the way I know you're in J6 but the last post here was in 2019 and you seem to follow this forum faithfully so figured you might run across my post. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 01:17 PM

33 posts, read 46,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, it's terrific here. Keep in mind too that THIS summer has been MUCH warmer than usual.

Ken

We are out in Hereford and have few complaints other than the wind. This has been a decent monsoon season so far too. Moved from Texas, so really enjoying the more mild weather. I realize that sounds crazy but Texas just gets the worst of both seasons. 100°+ heat with high humidity made the heat index like 110° in the summer then in the winter we had crazy hail and ice storms all the time. Plus, its cold! We haven't regretted the decision and the outdoor activities are incredible. Need to get an ATV though

Old 07-09-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdog View Post
Anybody live in SV that bikes ? Or grows a vegetable garden ?

I do both and some hiking and camping too. Make sure you have raised beds and you're going to want to cover them with chicken wire to keep the birds out. Otherwise, it's not too shabby

Old 07-12-2021, 04:38 AM

1,047 posts, read 725,902 times
Default Ac

Why do 99% of the homes in SV we look to buy say refrigeration and not central ac? Is that a swamp cooler? It's over 100 a lot these days and I don't know how they live with this? I had a small room with one big enough just for a bedroom when I was in UK but the swamp cooler made my room smell like dirty socks within one day. It took the room from 95 to 80 is my guess. I prefer 70.
Would this thing called "refrigeration" do the same to a whole home, smell-wise? Will that be the first thing I need to do is get an HVAC (I think is term for central ac)? Thanks!

Last edited by fly_me; 07-12-2021 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: subbed

Old 07-12-2021, 04:46 AM

Few homes say evaporative or spilt. I have looked all this up but nobody discusses the odor online. I saw a YT video of a man putting in frozen bottle to his large box outside that look like same thing (just bigger) as my bedroom swamp cooler. I had to put ice in it often with the water. I don't know if it smelled terribly due to chemicals in water in that country. One home says Central ac so it makes me think it's different from refrigeration.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:34 AM

30,360 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
Why do 99% of the homes in SV we look to buy say refrigeration and not central ac? Is that a swamp cooler? It's over 100 a lot these days and I don't know how they live with this? I had a small room with one big enough just for a bedroom when I was in UK but the swamp cooler made my room smell like dirty socks within one day. It took the room from 95 to 80 is my guess. I prefer 70.
Would this thing called "refrigeration" do the same to a whole home, smell-wise? Will that be the first thing I need to do is get an HVAC (I think is term for central ac)? Thanks!
Swamp coolers work best in dry climates so don't know why they use one in UK. When I was younger we lived in west Texas with just a swamp cooler which did okay most of the time until it got both hot and humid. Personally I would always opt for an AC unit over swamp cooler. We also lived near the coast of Oregon without AC for years and even in that climate, there were times we wished we had AC.

In general SV has a fantastic climate but I would have to have an air conditioner to live there.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:04 AM

Default how many degrees does a swamp cooler cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Swamp coolers work best in dry climates so don't know why they use one in UK. When I was younger we lived in west Texas with just a swamp cooler which did okay most of the time until it got both hot and humid. Personally I would always opt for an AC unit over swamp cooler. We also lived near the coast of Oregon without AC for years and even in that climate, there were times we wished we had AC.

In general SV has a fantastic climate but I would have to have an air conditioner to live there.
It was a 2 week rental in UK, and in order to get the large deposit back we couldn't damage the window w a window ac, so I went to appliance store and they said you can put this on top of your dresser. It wasn't the norm to my knowledge.

Still confused what refrigeration and evaporative mean. These homes are built in 90s. I realize it has gotten a little warmer last few years.

Old 07-13-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post

That's odd, the only homes I see hooked to Swamp Coolers are out in the very rural areas or trailers. I'd like to have one to cut down on my power bills though! I had one growing up in SLC and although not the most efficient cooling method, it is by far the most practical and affordable option. Living in AZ is all about practicality. This is an extreme climate and a little musty smell will probably be the least of your concerns on 100° + day.

Old 07-13-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
That's because it isn't "overrun by illegal immigrants". Neither is Benson for that matter. You actually see very few in either place. Are there some? Sure - but not nearly as many as you find further from the border. Folks sneaking across the border leave that area as fast as they can. In outlying areas around the city, you might see them from time to time as they pass through the border area itself, but you don't really see huge quantities of Hispanics in SV in general.

Much of what you hear about SE Arizona and illegal immigrants is BS spouted by folks pushing a political agenda. Some folks like to make it sound as if Cochise County is some kind of illegal immigrant war zone - something that is not even REMOTELY true. SV is VERY SAFE.

Ken

Funny to see this post and its 100% accurate. I do have to share a story though about living down here in SV/Bisbee. On Monday I was driving into Bisbee on HWY 92 in between Hereford and Bisbee, and I saw the regular Border Patrol SUV parked to the south of the road and looking out towards the border. Once I passed him (not even 100 feet), I see a white Suburban with AZ license plates pull up to the north side (Road travels East - West) of the road and four undocumented migrants in full camo ran across the road and jumped in the suburban. They pulled off and drove right past the BP in the opposite direction of myself. Extremely brazen.. they didn't even wait for a pause in traffic, they just came right out of the bushes and ran across the street in front of about five cars. No one stopped or slowed down but me. I decided not to put myself in any danger. Where there is a will, there is a way I guess.

Old 07-14-2021, 12:14 AM

They say refrigeration or evaporative all over zillow. I am used to ads saying hvac or central ac in my current town.

I don't understand the meanings.

I am asking if that means swamp cooler? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona