Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 11:56 PM

861 posts, read 2,191,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I hate the Gay bar scene. And you have just a good a chance of meeting up with someone at a Straight bar, with those under the influence.

I agree with Freud: We were all born bisexual. So technically speaking, there are no Gay people, no Straight people, no one born Gay, no one born Straight.

Our conditioning, environment does the rest!

I agree with some of that...

Old 08-13-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post
I agree with some of that...

Clarification....I agree that it is conditioning and environment that causes a person to become homosexual.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:00 AM

857 posts, read 1,732,534 times
Default Arizona is NOT Gay Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Cool, you have your opinion I have my own. But I don't limit myself to gay bars, scenes, etc. I live in a city with variety and openness so I go everywhere, pubs, sports bars, gay/straight/lesbian, alternative, bi-sexual, latino, urban, whatever I end up with friends...no limits and no "comfort-zones."
Are you kidding? Phoenix gay friendly? With the high Mormon percentage and several Mormon temples? Arizona is THE MOST Anti-Gay state in the SW US, passing an anti-gay marriage ban, and is one of two Southwestern States to still not have an anti-gay discrimination ordinance for hiring and real estate accommodations (the other is Utah). Arizonans are very anti-gay, and can also commit anti-Semitic hate crimes as shown by this article: The Explorer - The Voice of Marana, Oro Valley and Northwest Tucson > Archives > News > 'My wife's scared of her life'

And it's a right to work state, a very low minimum wage, high taxes, high utilities, inferior gasoline, and a very difficult place for anyone to move to and make a living, unless you're already retired!

Anyone who is coming out (as a gay person) would be advised to exit Arizona for the West Coast, Boulder-Denver, Austin, Chicago, Washington DC, Florida, or New England. Coming from Seattle where I observed 100% respect for gays, I saw absolutely no respect whatsoever for gays in my short time in Arizona.

Sadly with the recent horrific Oro Valley Anti-Semitic hate crime, it's only a matter of time before something similar happens to a gay person in a place like Flagstaff or Cottonwood! The City Council in Flagstaff couldn't pass an anti-discrimination ordinance in part because of threats that local Church(es) would sue them! I concluded long ago that there's no immediate solution to the discrimination issue in places like Flag, and there probably never will be!

GLBT folks: The Best Advice is to Get out of Arizona while you still can !

And, those of us who advocate for Civil Liberties (Equal Rights) for all, it's a wasted effort in places like Arizona!

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 08-14-2009 at 03:12 AM..

Old 08-14-2009, 07:21 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Interesting, can you explain a little more?
When push comes to shove: Gays, LDS (Mormons) as well as Marines (there is no such thing as an ex Marine) tend to drop their quarrels and close ranks amongst themselves when threatened by 'outsiders' Jewish people are another example.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:29 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
Are you kidding? Phoenix gay friendly? With the high Mormon percentage and several Mormon temples? Arizona is THE MOST Anti-Gay state in the SW US, passing an anti-gay marriage ban, and is one of two Southwestern States to still not have an anti-gay discrimination ordinance for hiring and real estate accommodations (the other is Utah). Arizonans are very anti-gay, and can also commit anti-Semitic hate crimes as shown by this article: The Explorer - The Voice of Marana, Oro Valley and Northwest Tucson > Archives > News > 'My wife's scared of her life'

And it's a right to work state, a very low minimum wage, high taxes, high utilities, inferior gasoline, and a very difficult place for anyone to move to and make a living, unless you're already retired!

Anyone who is coming out (as a gay person) would be advised to exit Arizona for the West Coast, Boulder-Denver, Austin, Chicago, Washington DC, Florida, or New England. Coming from Seattle where I observed 100% respect for gays, I saw absolutely no respect whatsoever for gays in my short time in Arizona.

Sadly with the recent horrific Oro Valley Anti-Semitic hate crime, it's only a matter of time before something similar happens to a gay person in a place like Flagstaff or Cottonwood! The City Council in Flagstaff couldn't pass an anti-discrimination ordinance in part because of threats that local Church(es) would sue them! I concluded long ago that there's no immediate solution to the discrimination issue in places like Flag, and there probably never will be!

And, those of us who advocate for Civil Liberties (Equal Rights) for all, it's a wasted effort in places like Arizona!
WHAT?!?

I have done much better financially here in Arizona (at least in the BHC area as well as Phx) vs. either California, Florida, Oregon or Wash DC.

Remember too that our Gays tend to be rather 'conservative' here as well---------pickup trucks, like their guns and so on............which would gag a New England class of 'liberal'.

Frankly; I have had more overall trouble in the putative 'liberal' areas of this state where intolerance reigns against being a patriotic American than with even Mormons--------and, I am something of an old Hippie at heart.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:56 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,816 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
LMFBO!!! Wow, YET ANOTHER great and confused Tom Lane post...LOL! Ok, Phoenix and the metro region has a very LOW mormon population. I think you mean Mesa has a slightly higher mormon presence, about 5% of the population LOL! But in Phoenix the Mormon percentage is closer to .08% of the population, LOL! They are a small group to begin with and DO NOT dictate the social values in Phoenix. Our city council, mayor, police cheif, etc. are democrats that are all pro-gay. The gay marriage ban failed once in 2006 and barely passed this year with 54% of the vote. Unlike Colorado and Texas (where Austin is) where nearly 74% of the voters passed a gay marriage ban. Also California passed a gay marriage ban BY THE SAME percentage! Are you kidding me...you are pathetic and have no idea what you are talking about...Marana, Oro Valley and Tucson are NOT Phoenix...and what does, "my wife's scared OF her life" mean anyway??? This also wasn't a physical attack but someone spray painted a swastika on their home; probably some bored teenager.

Hate crimes against anyone in Arizona and especially Phoenix are lowest in the nation. There are actually more gay and Jewish hate crimes in NYC, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles. Get your facts straight. ONE incident in Marana isn't characteristic of the state or city. Actually, Phoenix and most of the metro area DO have discrimination ordinances against such practices...the state may not have a sweeping law, but cities do as well as the Arizona Real Estate Board, and the AMA, Multi-Housing Association, etc. Learn your facts before you speak! You spread very hateful and incorrect lies on this forum and it has to stop.

Quote:
Yep a right to work state and VERY business friendly. Amongst the LOWEST unemployment rates in the nation and one of the smallest gaps in pay AND cost of living. Places like NY, Cali, Florida, WA, etc. are far too expensive for the average pay of their citizens. Our minimum wage is higher than the national rate and every state has the same minimum wage as that is a FEDERAL guideline.

Quote:
The gay community in Phoenix and throughout Arizona is one of the largest networks in the country. We have a huge gay neighborhood and social groups in Phoenix and the largest number of gay bars, churches, support groups, etc. per capita in the nation. Our PFLAG organization is one of the largest in the country as well. Again you HAVE NO idea what you are talking about. There is a pride event in cities throughout AZ big or Small...from Phoenix to Bisbee and Jerome! More lies that are deceitful and wrong. I graduated from high school in Seattle, have friends there so I know Seattle is "gay friendly" like Phoenix, but unfortunately, Seattle has had some recent gay-bashing incidents that were pretty brutal including stabbings and shootings. That hasn't happened in Phoenix. There was a gay-bashing incident in Scottsdale a few years ago where a group of straight men fought a gay couple but no threat to life.

Quote:
Actually, Flagstaff DID pass the anti-discrimination ordinance AND declared June 22, Flagstaff's Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Transgender Day of Celebration in connection with its Pride in the Pines event. LOL, you sound so uninformed. Where do you come up with this stuff...I'll tell you, they are lies. Silly, silly lies for which I have no idea what your agenda is on spreading such vicious and malicious lies??? One incident in Oro valley isn't emblematic or telling. This happens in San Francisco for goodness sakes.

Quote:

This is an awful post. As a member of gay coalitions and gay rights groups here in Phoenix, this a a totally unfounded and hateful remark. I actually think you are a member of a right-wing hate group cloaking yourself as a liberal. That is the only congruent and relevant answer to why your posts are so wrong and hateful. Do you even live in Phoenix or Arizona? Been to the gay pride event(S) in which there are several in Phoenix besides the typical gay pride day? There are NEVER anti-gay protesters in Phoenix and Phoenix P.D. statistics show no hate crimes linked to pride celebrations in Phoenix for the last three years. My boyfriend is a cop in the Phoenix P.D. and he can confirm that what you say is absolutely ludicrous!!!

Last edited by fcorrales80; 08-14-2009 at 03:11 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post
Clarification....I agree that it is conditioning and environment that causes a person to become homosexual.
I was born gay thanks as well as all my friends and family members who are gay. Most of us were raised by conservative military folk who didn't have an ounce of "gayness" or gay environmental awareness in them until later in their lives after our adolescents. This is actually true for most gays. We're from small southern towns where gay isn't ANYWHERE, conservative households, religious homes, military backgrounds, played football and not barbie, and yes many from cities and exposed to diversity but that doesn't MAKE you gay. That is the most ridiculous sentiment and remark that has EVER been made to try and explain a completely natural disposition. No one "conditioned" me to be gay. How would a parent or person even do that? R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S "stafford 'Pastor.'" ridiculous...

Last edited by fcorrales80; 08-14-2009 at 03:12 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
When push comes to shove: Gays, LDS (Mormons) as well as Marines (there is no such thing as an ex Marine) tend to drop their quarrels and close ranks amongst themselves when threatened by 'outsiders' Jewish people are another example.
Oh, I see...I can understand your opinion but beg to differ especially in this day and age. Our outreach groups and programs, inter-faith programs, etc etc are very open and we look to the greater community, police force, city halls, congressmen, senators, etc now for support and receive such support during "threatening" situations which are extremely rare: I don't recall any such incident in the last 3.5 years here where we've been threatened or a situation were we've needed or thought about closing ranks.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 08-14-2009 at 03:25 PM..

Old 08-14-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I was born gay thanks as well as all my friends and family members who are gay. Most of us were raised by conservative military folk who didn't have an ounce of "gayness" or gay environmental awareness in them until later in their lives after our adolescents. This is actually true for most gays. We're from small southern towns where gay isn't ANYWHERE, conservative households, religious homes, military backgrounds, played football and not barbie, and yes many from cities and exposed to diversity but that doesn't MAKE you gay. That is the most ridiculous sentiment and remark that has EVER been made to try and explain a completely natural disposition. No one "conditioned" me to be gay. How would a parent or person even do that? R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S "stafford 'Pastor.'" ridiculous...

I speak from experiance...have several family and friends who are Gay and every one of them was recruited if you will when they were young....preyed upon by older homosexuals when they were 12-17 years old...and although all of them seemed as straight as can be after these incidents they became gay....say what you want but I have seen this several times.

And I am only agreeing with one of your own.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Have you ever heard the word "dysfunctional"....noone means to condition people to be gay...(except for possibly the predators) but dysfunctional families, sometimes the lack of a proper male figure or a male figure that is abusive, the emasculation of the men in our society, the masculinization of women....all of these things conspire to bring sexual confusion to young men and women as they struggle with thier identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona