Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 04:23 PM

639 posts, read 974,201 times

Advertisements

Just as an FYI - I'm in CT and a few years ago the ban went into effect here as well. The same arguments were made by smokers then, a lot of complaining ensued, and you know what? Bars and restaurants are still open. The end of the world did not happen. It's not very often that smokers are even outside smoking. There were a few bar owners who were upset but it turned out that their business increased. Non-smokers - and more and more people are non-smoking these days - did not want to go into an establishment where smoking was allowed.

We are looking to move to AZ within a few months and I have to say, after visiting the state a few times last year, the smoking indoors bit bothered me. We've been so used to non-smoking areas everywhere, I had forgotten just how badly it affected me. Now, I'm a lot more comfortable with our decision to move out there.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:31 PM

702 posts, read 3,154,690 times
The bottom line is that the will of the majority has been made into law. There is really no argument left that will change this. It's over...

Old 05-01-2007, 04:51 PM

461 posts, read 1,811,318 times
Well, at least you can still smoke in restaurants with patios . . . and with all the warm weather in AZ, I guess smokers will still be able to enjoy their meal or a drink with a cigarette!

Old 05-01-2007, 05:07 PM

234 posts, read 786,885 times
It's not over. There are lawsuits taking place all over the country right now challenging smoking bans. This information is available online.

It took over a decade to repeal Prohibition laws. Eventually, the country will want to go back to a more "relaxed lifestyle." This is what happened in the "Roaring 20's."

The pendulum always swings back and forth. History has proven this.

Last edited by Desertlovers; 05-01-2007 at 05:39 PM..

Old 05-01-2007, 05:35 PM

12 posts, read 27,486 times
Default Interesting

Has it occured to anyone that this law prohibits Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, and other bands whose members might smoke on stage from playing here? It only allows for theatrical productions such as plays and movie sets.

Whoa... Arizona banned the Rolling Stones. There's one for the record book.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
The bottom line is that the will of the majority has been made into law. There is really no argument left that will change this. It's over...
People less uptight don't vote on stupid things, who would have thought this would actually have passed? Personally, I think the whole thing is backed by the gasoline and automotive industry to keep our attention from the fact that it's them. In the 60's asthma was rare - 70% of the nation smoked either ocassionally or regularly. In the late 70's the amount of cars on the road doubled. In the early-mid 80's asthma started to become a problem.

I've lost 8 friends in the past 10-years from illness directly related to pollution. I know of only 1 in my entire life who has died from anything smoking related. What do those odds tell you?

Arizona just wasted milliions of dollars - again.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
Very true. This person is trying to compare car exhaust/fumes with smoking indoors? Dumb. People aren't running their cars in restaurants, while aiming their exhaust pipe directly into the booths next to them, and the noses of other patrons. Some people just don't understand how to give a legitimate, valid, or logical argument...they just grasp at any straw they think will prove their point. It seems to make them lose credibility more often than it helps their cause. You're absolutely correct, irwin....apples and oranges.
I can walk away from a smoker, I have to breath exhaust 24 hours a day, and it stays in my system 6x longer.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
... Another bugbear with me is the propensity some women and men have of over-scenting themselves with strong perfumes or colognes, often caustic enough to burn the hairs in your nose and the skin off your esophagus. Can we enact laws to ban them from wearing scents?
I'm all for this! I'm allergic to chemicals used in many perfumes and colognes - enough to be hospitalized from being stuck in the elevator with someone who "bathed" in that stench. I can't go to many places that I would like to; and I've had to leave restaurants before even finishing the meal because some inconsiderate person thinks she/he smells so nice.

Now there's one thing I've missed about smoking sections the past few years, even though I don't smoke, it was a good neutralizer for things like that. I much prefer the smell of tobacco.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertlovers View Post
... We didn't move to Arizona with the attitude that we had a right to "change everything." We moved here because we fell in love with the "existing culture" and wanted to become part of it.

Arizona used to be a conservative type of state, where people fought to keep "big government" out of their daily lives. This sure appealed to us. And, now, it's all going to change. This is sad. And, we'll be moving out of Arizona before too long.
When I moved here over 20-years ago this was a great State to live. It was like the cowboy state; you almost felt uncomfortable if you didn't wear a hat.

10-years ago, you started feeling uncomforable wearing a hat. Things were not relaxed anymore. People were getting uptight and thinking me-me-me all the time, and along came HOA's out of nowhere because no one wants to talk to their neighbor. Or move in next to a cattle feedlot and complain about the smell. Get real.

Today, we're the joke of the nation from the many foolish things that have happened here. My friends in Virginia were laughing at the $60-mil we spent resurfacing brand new highways so the Governor could talk on her phone. I was in Florida last month and someone referred to Arizona as the "foo foo state" because of how much it's changed.

So now we've sunk to putting laws on things that people have been doing voluntarily.

I see a lot more of this coming and I gotta agree with Desertlovers - it's time to find a new place to live. Smoking isn't the issue, I mean, who cares? Everyone here over 25 grew up around a lot of people smoking and we're obviously still alive - but this Arizona doesn't remotely resemble the place I came to spend the rest of my life at.

A real shame.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:28 PM

702 posts, read 3,154,690 times
Default Are You Leaving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmont View Post
When I moved here over 20-years ago this was a great State to live. It was like the cowboy state; you almost felt uncomfortable if you didn't wear a hat.

10-years ago, you started feeling uncomforable wearing a hat. Things were not relaxed anymore. People were getting uptight and thinking me-me-me all the time, and along came HOA's out of nowhere because no one wants to talk to their neighbor. Or move in next to a cattle feedlot and complain about the smell. Get real.

Today, we're the joke of the nation from the many foolish things that have happened here. My friends in Virginia were laughing at the $60-mil we spent resurfacing brand new highways so the Governor could talk on her phone. I was in Florida last month and someone referred to Arizona as the "foo foo state" because of how much it's changed.

So now we've sunk to putting laws on things that people have been doing voluntarily.

I see a lot more of this coming and I gotta agree with Desertlovers - it's time to find a new place to live. Smoking isn't the issue, I mean, who cares? Everyone here over 25 grew up around a lot of people smoking and we're obviously still alive - but this Arizona doesn't remotely resemble the place I came to spend the rest of my life at.

A real shame.
Are you moving out because of the smoking ban?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona