Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:42 PM

702 posts, read 3,152,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The global models are complete nonsense and pure speculatation - grad student stuff. No one knows with even the most minimal certainty what impact global warming might have on climate. Looking even three months out is not much better than guesswork or the Farmer's Almanac. Look at last year's hurricane predictions and this year's "El Nino" - wrong on both counts. The mechanisms are simply too complex and poorly understood to develop reliable models. Properly initialized, the models can make for exciting headlines, though. About all that can be said is it'll be warmer, on average, with global warming. Anyone who makes a property decision based on today's global warming models is - well I won't even say it.
If we can't believe Al Gore, who can we believe?

Old 05-08-2007, 02:47 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
I believe in the global warming theories. I say what's the big deal about believing it? We should try to conserve our world anyway, right? How can a person believe that the crap we put out in the air isn't doing any harm? We can't go on with the emissions and expect our world to go on forever.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:59 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
It's not a question of believing whether global warming is happening, it's a question of accepting mathematical models that purport to predict the global climate outcomes of global warming. Scientific understanding of global climate is so sparse and the models so weak that very little confidence should be placed in any specific predictions of the various models. That was my point. That and how absurd it would be to base a property sale or purchase decision on these climate models.

People ought to be more concerned about whether AZ is liveable today and how to deal with the threats that are certain instead of getting worked up over flaky mathematical projections about what the temperatures or rainfall are going to be decades from now.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:20 PM

245 posts, read 318,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The mechanisms are simply too complex and poorly understood to develop reliable models.
Perhaps not for everyone.

Quote:
It's not a question of believing whether global warming is happening, it's a question of accepting mathematical models that purport to predict the global climate outcomes of global warming. Scientific understanding of global climate is so sparse and the models so weak that very little confidence should be placed in any specific predictions of the various models. That was my point. That and how absurd it would be to base a property sale or purchase decision on these climate models.
People ought to be more concerned about whether AZ is liveable today and how to deal with the threats that are certain instead of getting worked up over flaky mathematical projections about what the temperatures or rainfall are going to be decades from now.
If we wait longer it will probably be to late, if its not already. It will not cost much as an insurance for our survival.
And this is only one small factor yes, I'm more concerned of the heat, water, crimerate, guns and lethal animals we dont have here where we can freeze to death instead. But I always buy to stay forever, its not healthy moving to much. Propertylosses cant be fun, I'm not that rich.
Be lucky to live in US with a lot of choices, the same money and language, its a bit worse in EU and the old dreams of Spain is now cheaper Thailand, but they have another alphabet and some muslim problems.

Last edited by Najt; 05-08-2007 at 08:43 PM..

Old 05-08-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I believe in the global warming theories. I say what's the big deal about believing it? We should try to conserve our world anyway, right? How can a person believe that the crap we put out in the air isn't doing any harm? We can't go on with the emissions and expect our world to go on forever.
Yes upon natural cycles are all new emissions.

Warmer climate will also heat up frozen methane-gas, as are at least 10 times worse than CO2, then it gets warmer and more will come ut etc. and so on.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:43 PM

823 posts, read 3,689,096 times
Don't worry after California falls into the Pacific Arizona will have beachfront property and cooling ocean breezes.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
Don't worry after California falls into the Pacific Arizona will have beachfront property and cooling ocean breezes.
Until then, I guess SD also will get hot and most of CA have earthquake-risks.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:17 PM

75 posts, read 394,855 times
whatever the case, I believe that it is going to be hotter here simply based on the fact that with all of the sprawl comes more concrete and asphalt, which will retain the suns heat and make it hotter in these areas. With the sprawl comes the destruction of what little green there is in the way of trees, shrubs, farms, etc. And since it will be hotter, the rains may evaporate before they hit these areas. This is happening already, right? People who have lived here a long time will tell you that during monsoon season in the summer, it'd rain practically every day. I don't know as I've been here only 7 years, but it seems that the rains form and hit the outskirts but typically pass us by. whatever the case may be and the reasons for it, I am glad to be leaving. It is too hot, too dry, too dusty and that brown cloud cannot be good for the lungs...

Old 05-08-2007, 09:35 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,415 times
Western Washington used to have blizzards in the winter time - where I grew up as a kid, used to have fun in the snow. It rarely snows in that same area.

We have to face up that we do not know what consequences we are going to face from our environmental damages in the future. This is something we need to be concerned about today for our future.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:34 PM

Yes we have climate-migration now as will turn around and we will get climate-refugees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona