Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:25 PM

13,252 posts, read 21,876,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnb33 View Post
SOLUTION
Become a survivalist in Alasaka and remote regions with lots of inventory including weapons.
I notice from your profile that you're in San Diego. So when are you making the big move?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:29 PM

44,667 posts, read 61,767,196 times
I wouldn't worry about the far future of water, as desalination pipelines will bring water in from the Pacific by then, which won't be far, when CA drops off the map. They're working on that already, mother nature and scientists.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:01 PM

228 posts, read 594,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chionactis View Post
whatever the case, I believe that it is going to be hotter here simply based on the fact that with all of the sprawl comes more concrete and asphalt, which will retain the suns heat and make it hotter in these areas. With the sprawl comes the destruction of what little green there is in the way of trees, shrubs, farms, etc. And since it will be hotter, the rains may evaporate before they hit these areas. This is happening already, right? People who have lived here a long time will tell you that during monsoon season in the summer, it'd rain practically every day. I don't know as I've been here only 7 years, but it seems that the rains form and hit the outskirts but typically pass us by. whatever the case may be and the reasons for it, I am glad to be leaving. It is too hot, too dry, too dusty and that brown cloud cannot be good for the lungs...

Ah, the voice of reason hath spoke. If and when greater Phoenix and Tucson become unlivable, this will be the real reason why- the oh-so-dreaded heat island effect. And the drought, of course. And continued upward-spiraling gas, energy and food costs. I can't, for one, imagine voluntarily living anywhere my electric bill exceeds $500 a month for 5 months out of the year. But that's just me.

As for the global warming theory, there are a fair number of very well educated scientists on the subject who think it's an utter crock. But even assuming it's true, I think that man's role in causing it, or to do anything to prevent it either, for that matter, has been grossly overestimated. If I have to endure another lecture about the need to reduce carbon emissions I'm gonna hurl. Carbon gases have never been proven to cause or contribute to global warming, and there is zero evidence to support the theory of their role as causative agent. Any speculation of their role is just that- speculation and myth propagating by the greenie weenies. And even if they were to blame, how would you stop it? If we shut down all our coal-fired power plants and stopped driving completely tomorrow, it would accomplish nothing- as long as China and India continue to do what they're doing, and are guaranteed to continue to do, it matters not one iota how much we cut down or change our habits here.

Earth has had periodic warming and cooling cycles throughout its existence; regardless of whether it's actually "warming" now, for any reason, it'll most assuredly get warmer again and it'll likewise get cooler again. Fighting that argument is ludicrous.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:38 PM

245 posts, read 318,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnb33 View Post
BEST OPTION
1. Be mobile and rich, have alot of gold or things to trade.
2. Wealthy will survive.
3. Humans survived the mini-ice age, and the ice age before that because they adapted and moved.
ECONOMIES
Growing instability especially in third world, food, water, disease will promote fear, unrest and chaos in country against country and even neighbor against neighbor.
SOLUTION
Become a survivalist in Alasaka and remote regions with lots of inventory including weapons. timetable 30-50yrs.
PROSPECTS
When ice over land such as Greenland and Antartica melt the albeido rate [amount of sunlight reflected on earths surface] will cause more heating of planet including permafrost areas releases trillions of tons of CO2 and speeding up the warming process. Even if Europe and US curtail emissions in the next decade; China and the balance of the world will continue to increase CO2 levels globally to the inevitable.
If you're over 50 don't sweat it, you'll be dead by then if you're lucky but your children will inherit living hell. Send them to survivalist school or at least a ROPES course.
I'm afraid You may be right and forgot Methane.
Gore wishes to embargo China and India until they stop building new coal-power-plants. Who dares?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:40 PM

799 posts, read 2,171,463 times
I am from the Midwest...almost all of the water is in the Midwest, yet all the jobs are leaving the midwest and going overseas.

Insanity. Just total insanity.

Lots of lush green land up there, and yeah, snow, and tornadoes. Gotta love em.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,700 times
I ve read temperature avg's are actually lower this year across the globe. But you never hear press talk about this kind of news.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:10 AM

245 posts, read 318,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallopinto4me View Post
I ve read temperature avg's are actually lower this year across the globe. But you never hear press talk about this kind of news.
That may be news from Exxon etc.

I just read differently from World Meteorological Organization

Old 12-18-2008, 05:58 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,186,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMX View Post
I agree with that. When I first moved here in the mid-80's, the monsoon rains seemed to roll through the valley every afternoon/evening, or a least 3-4 times a week. And there was a LOT of rain. Streets would flood because the storm drains couldn't handle it all. I haven't seen that type of monsoon storm in at least 10 years.

Some may argue that it's because we're in a drought, but I think it's more a function of the urban heat island. I still see the big huge clouds develop to the east in the afternoon like they used to, but the storms always seem to peter out before they hit the central part of the valley. It's just not the same.
Which has nothing to do with so-called 'Global Warming'.

For the record: I still remember the brouhaha over 'Nuclear Winter' 30 odd years ago----------in which air pollution would be triggering a new Ice Age.

Needless to say: I think that Global Warming is a crock.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:46 AM

687 posts, read 2,955,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonabear View Post
which has nothing to do with so-called 'global warming'.

For the record: I still remember the brouhaha over 'nuclear winter' 30 odd years ago----------in which air pollution would be triggering a new ice age.

Needless to say: I think that global warming is a crock.

agreed!!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:05 AM

67 posts, read 207,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The global models are complete nonsense and pure speculatation - grad student stuff.
Thank you Ponderosa! Your first sentence says it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona