Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:57 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,465,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saradance View Post
AZ has a better cost of living, but the dead desolate desert gets old too :\
Dead? Desolate? Desert?

Nah

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 AM

172 posts, read 423,411 times
Dead, desolate desert is your characterization. I said scorched earth brown desert environment (and I should have added desert prairie to that description as well). Most of the homeowners and HOA landscapers I see in Arizona plant around homes to create an illusion of botanical bounty and order, although it is a created environment and not the natural environment. I mentioned this 're-landscaping' (by hired help or home owners) not as an indictment of residents trying to beautify their space, but as an extra source of allergens. Arizona does have variety within its various zones. Anyone who has been in the state a while knows that increases in altitude bring about a change in scenery and foliage. Residents in and around places such as Flag, Sedona, Oracle, Payson, the White Mountains, etc. make up a tiny percentage of the states population. The majority of Arizonians live in concentrated population areas within landscapes of prairie, desert, scrub, rocks with muted shades of brown/beige/red being the predominant colors, and most of these live in the ubiquitous housing tracts re-landscaped with truck loads of processed yard gravel (to cover the large swaths of rock and dirt lots) and plantings not authentic to the area. Gesundheit.

Last edited by bongofury; 04-14-2010 at 10:02 AM..

Old 04-14-2010, 11:37 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,775,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post
Okay currently I live in PA. My hubby is a fire-fighter/emt. We're sick of the taxes spiraling out of control here, the astronomical price of housing and the weather. We long to lose our winter gear and opt for shorts most of the year. Two small children (below school age). I posted this thread on the Florida forum and y'all won't believe the slug-fest it turned into (don't know why) and the nasty things said about AZ in general. My brother lives there, (Chandler area) is originally from NJ and absolutely loves it.

What do you think? Arizona...or Florida?

I love to read your opinions

Thanks!
We almost moved to Florida but after the big wind blew our realtor out of sight, we decided to stop over in AZ and take a drive around. Love it. Property taxes are far less even though we have other taxes that add to the cost, it is still a decent state to live in. I do still love Florida, especially the ecology there and visit when we can.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:45 AM

25 posts, read 153,355 times
I am in exactly the same place--Mesa or Port St. Lucie. What's making we squirmy about AZ is the valley fever out there. Dogs get it and it can kill them. Plus the anti-fungal meds are VERY expensive and some dogs need to be on them for the rest of their lives. People also get it and often have to be on the anti-fungal meds for a long time.

Then in Florida, there's the venomous snakes, scorpions (though not the deadly kind like in AZ), alligators, and lots of other creepy crawlie things. Plus the mosquitoes. I have two dogs and a horse (horses can get valley fever, too) and I am always very concerned about their well-being because they are the only family I have. So I'm in a quandary.

I've been offered a job in Mesa that I need to say either yes or no, and am just beginning conversations about another possibly position in Florida. I know no place is safe--there is crawlie things, and bad stuff in the air no matter where you live, but both Florida and many parts of central to southern AZ have things that are very common that are not so comforting for a single gal with her beloved animals.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,143 times
Default Moving to AZ

I think I want to move to AZ....has anyone heard of Grand Canyon Village? Is it a nice area? what are some other nice places around that area? Or are they all overrun by tourists?

Old 04-30-2010, 04:29 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,465,008 times
It's located in Grand Canyon National Park and is wholly focused on accommodating tourists visiting the canyon.

So yes, there are a lot of tourists there.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:43 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,743,541 times
Maricopa county is NOT all of Arizona, it is overcrowded and polluted. There are plenty of other places like Tucson, Flagstaff, Sierra Vista etc. I have tried both florida and Phoenix Area and given up.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:22 PM

It just so happens that my job offer is in Mesa, Maricopa County. If I could do the commute, and live up in the mountains, it would be a no brainer. I'd accept in a heart-beat. But I'm a pastor and need to be somewhat close to the church.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:24 PM

Well, I turned Arizona down. Now looking at Florida as well as a few other places. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:50 PM

119 posts, read 313,739 times
Ugh Florida has tornados and hurricanes. i live in Pa and will be buying in Tonopah Arizona. I`ve done so much research on Tonopah i feel like I live there already. Arizona has stolen my heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona