Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:25 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,634,762 times

Advertisements

"Florida's crime is far worse"

Not really. It depends on where in Florida you live. The only reason I locked my door when I was on vacation last week was so no one would accidentally let my cat out. I usually don't lock it. Some cities in Florida have higher crime than other cities, some have very little.

By the way, I was surprised at the many similarities I noticed last week between Phoenix and Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 10:27 PM

PS we have less air pollution in Tampa/St Pete. Phoenix has more pollution, but to be fair, it's no where near as bad as places like Houston or LA.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:21 AM

33 posts, read 284,536 times
I've lived in both states for various time periods.. if I was to pick one I'd say Florida. Arizona is full of crime (moreso than Florida), and is getting overcrowded with a lot of illegals and in general.. lots of urban spawl, and real estate is soaring. Orlando or Pensacola are beautiful places, I'd take them over Phoenix any day.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:57 PM

12 posts, read 66,014 times
Default Relocate to..Arizona or Florida...opinions?

Relocate to..Arizona or Florida...opinions?

I am originally from NY (NY City's Queens County) and lived in Glendale - Ridgewood area for 29 years and in Putnam County, Garrison, NY for 18 years. After researching as to where I should retire for about 5 years, I chose AZ. Since I was working in construction I despised the cold, humidity and rain. Florida IS uncomfortably humid and it seems to be subject to all kinds of natural disasters such as tornadoes, hurricanes, forest fires etc..

I just love the climate and wide open spaces of AZ.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:37 PM

Interesting tidbit I just discovered.....for me, anyway, health insurance would be cheaper in Phoenix than Tampa (but even cheaper than these was Albuquerque). Yet another surprise. If you want to check rates for yourself and compare areas, ehealthinsurance was a good site to start with - you can compare by zip code.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:23 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,905,306 times
I've only visited the areas around Miami, Florida once some 30 years ago and I liked it, mainly because of the beaches, I don't know how it is now, but as an Arizona native, everyone has different opinions and preferences about Arizona, and I'd listen to people you know who have lived here, like your brother who lives in Chandler. If you pick the right area, you'll be very happy, otherwise you'll be thinking about moving away soon after you move.

For the most part, you can't beat the weather here, it's very nice 7-8 months out of the year, and it's hot in the summer, but dry. The only time we get the humidity is in August when the monsoon arrives, but it's still not very high compared to other places around the nation. We also have the deserts, where it can be 105 degrees, then a 2-hour drive away you'll be in the cool high country, plus we do have a wide variety of outdoor recreational areas and lakes.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:26 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,905,306 times
Lower taxes is another reason to move here, plus we have all of the professional sport teams like the Phoenix Suns (Basketball), Phoenix Coyotes (Hockey), The 2001 World Series champions, the Diamondbacks, and the NFL's Arizona Cardinals.. Wait.. on second thought scratch the last one!

Old 06-22-2007, 04:13 PM

11 posts, read 51,903 times
Default Do you like humidity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post
Okay currently I live in PA. My hubby is a fire-fighter/emt. We're sick of the taxes spiraling out of control here, the astronomical price of housing and the weather. We long to lose our winter gear and opt for shorts most of the year. Two small children (below school age). I posted this thread on the Florida forum and y'all won't believe the slug-fest it turned into (don't know why) and the nasty things said about AZ in general. My brother lives there, (Chandler area) is originally from NJ and absolutely loves it.

What do you think? Arizona...or Florida?

I love to read your opinions

Thanks!
Guess it depends on whether you like humidity. I live in the middle of the desert along the Colorado River and we have sandy beaches....and the humidity today is 7 %. Yes I love the ocean more but I really enjoy not having to wear a sweater all winter. Oh and we don't have many flies or mosquitos.

I think it would help to narrow your interest and needs to a few locales and then compare.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:56 PM

Something to consider - I checked out a friend's property in her city (ABQ), Maricopa County, and Hillsborough County. Her actual ABQ property taxes were $1,213. In Maricopa (incorporated), her taxes on same value house would have been about $1,460. In Tampa, same house value would have been $2,695 to $2,995. Whoa.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:57 PM

Value used was $140,000. Which is a big house in ABQ. And impossible in Tampa (except maybe a condo). Don't know about PHX prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona