Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:01 PM

53 posts, read 143,920 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Minneapolis to Clarksville to attend college and I'm so excited. I love Arkansas but I also feel a little bit nervous about whether or not there will be hostility to me as a gay man. Being from Minneapolis, I have never experienced real homophobia

I'm not flamboyant so that might help a bit

BTW, since I don't judge people for being from the south (not every Southerner is homophobic or racist), isn't it fair to expect them not to judge me for being gay?

I am so excited to move to the Natural state, even if I will experience homophobia while I'm there. I just want to know what to expect so I'm not taken by surpirse if it's really bad.

PS- go Razorbacks

Last edited by JohnnyMN; 06-17-2013 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 05:36 PM

620 posts, read 1,233,445 times
I am gay and live in Branson. It is very conservative here......just realize you aren't in Minnesota anymore. Don't make a big deal about it, I am fairly masculine so its not like people can tell. If someone asks I would tell them, but otherwise it's none of their business.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:58 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMN View Post
I'm moving from Minneapolis to Clarksville to attend college and I'm so excited. I love Arkansas but I also feel a little bit nervous about whether or not there will be hostility to me as a gay man. Being from Minneapolis, I have never experienced real homophobia

BTW, since I don't judge people for being from the south (not every Southerner is homophobic or racist), isn't it fair to expect them not to judge me for being gay?

I am so excited to move to the Natural state, even if I will experience homophobia while I'm there. I just want to know what to expect so I'm not taken by surpirse if it's really bad.

PS- go Razorbacks
I'm sure there are plenty of gay men in Arkansas, so, don't worry about it. So much better for you not to be touchy about responses when people are only trying to help.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of gay men in Arkansas, so, don't worry about it. So much better for you not to be touchy about responses when people are only trying to help.
Just come and enjoy your years in college and please stop worrying about so many issues; gay versus straight, NWA versus not NWA, Midwest versus south, is Fayetteville north or south? Unless your are attending a very small, private, religious college your sexuality will make no difference.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:00 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:

PS- go Razorbacks

If you do not announce your sexual preference or wear a neon flashing sign that says "I'm gay" most others could care less about what you do with your life, how you do it and who you share your bed with. Which means they won't judge you either.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:32 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,337 times
Who cares? I don't. I have better things to worry about than your 'gayness'.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:45 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,286 times
I'm gay and I went to undergrad in Conway (Hendrix College), and being gay was never an issue at all. Then again, Hendrix is extremely liberal and is somewhat of a bubble isolated from the rest of Central AR. But even when I ventured out of the bubble I never had a problem. I'm not sure about Clarksville, though. That's more of your typical AR small town whereas Conway is slightly more cosmopolitan due to being larger and in the Little Rock metro area. Little Rock actually has a surprisingly large and visible gay community. For gay people in AR, Little Rock and Fayetteville are ideal, but you can probably survive in Clarksville.

Don't let some of the outrageous comments on here turn you off to AR. Most Arkansans are wonderful, nice people, but there are always a few bad apples who ruin the state's image.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 AM

53 posts, read 143,920 times
mod cut

I am moving to Arkansas and I have decided that I can deal with homophobia. But I would just like to know what to expect so I'm not shocked when I get down there.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 06-21-2013 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you refer to has been deleted

Old 06-19-2013, 03:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I am moving to Arkansas and I have decided that I can deal with homophobia. But I would just like to know what to expect so I'm not shocked when I get down there.
Johnny, you will only have a problem if you look for it. I don't care where you live anymore, people are becoming more acceptable to alternative life styles, whether it is sexual orientation, or what. Again, the secret is to be yourself and not make a big deal out of this.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:04 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,383,195 times
Come on Johnny, once again, as in some of your other threads, you continue to ask a question, respond to the reply, then reconfigure the question and ask it again. With some of the DMs I'm getting, some people think you are just trying to keep things "stirred up", and on these Forums it is referred to as "trolling". I truly hope you are sincere, but people are beginning to wonder. If you are sincere, hang in there and keep asking because there will always be someone willing to try to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas