Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
How do you enforce it, dig through everybody’s emails looking for purchases?
Sure you can start requiring American companies to report stuff but what about shopping sites who have their servers in China?
Oh, the way it is now, you can't enforce it, I agree. That is why the attempt to change the law to make it mandatory for on line companies to collect it when we place our order, and it won't make any difference where the site is, the computers will automatically add the tax. I know I am in the minority here, but I do see the merchants side and there are a lot of merchants that are affected, not just WalMart. How about furniture companies, dept stores, even grocery shopping? Of course I love shopping and not paying taxes, all our becoming on line shoppers, but it is hurting the local merchants. They have to try and compete with the Amazons and charge taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh, the way it is now, you can't enforce it, I agree. That is why the attempt to change the law to make it mandatory for on line companies to collect it when we place our order, and it won't make any difference where the site is, the computers will automatically add the tax. I know I am in the minority here, but I do see the merchants side and there are a lot of merchants that are affected, not just WalMart. How about furniture companies, dept stores, even grocery shopping? Of course I love shopping and not paying taxes, all our becoming on line shoppers, but it is hurting the local merchants. They have to try and compete with the Amazons and charge taxes.
Shipping and handling charges offset the tax savings. What hurts the local merchants is that they don't have the selection of goods that are available on-line. As a shopper, I shop on-line because I can quickly compare prices between sites, and because there is a huge range of choices. Also, customer service in my experience has been much better on-line.

Local merchants complain about on-line just as they complain about the big box stores. Just as they complained about Sears and its catalog almost a century ago. The bottom line is that people will shop at local merchants when local merchants offer people what they want at affordable prices. Local merchants want a monopoly on local wallets. And that isn't even desirable from a free market viewpoint.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The bottom line is that people will shop at local merchants when local merchants offer people what they want at affordable prices. Local merchants want a monopoly on local wallets. And that isn't even desirable from a free market viewpoint.
Very true.

I realize the tax thing isn't enforceable, and it does annoy me that the government is digging into my private life and my pocketbook even more, but when I found out I was supposed to be doing it, it was just hard for me to pretend I didn't know.....and you never know with the government, what kind of witch hunt they'll go on next!

Nita, just google your refrigerator's model #, along with "icemaker", and see what comes up. My hubby found ours on Amazon. It remains to be see whether it is actually the right one and will work....I'll report back!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,505 times
Quote:
How can you make a Chinese company who probably also ships to the EU etc comply with an American law?

Last edited by ArkansasTgirl; 07-30-2013 at 01:49 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 01:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
How can you make a Chinese company who who also ships to the EU etc comply with an American law? Like I said before the law can only make American companies comply giving foreign sites an advantage over American ones.
Most of what we buy on line comes from companies like Amazon, or in my case, wine or cheeses, etc which are American companies. You can't force a company in another country to abide by our laws, that much is right. As I have said, over and over, I realize I am in the minority. But that doesn't change my mind...You have your feelings and opinions, I have mine and guess what it doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference how we feel our elected officials will do it the way they want.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Most of what we buy on line comes from companies like Amazon, or in my case, wine or cheeses, etc which are American companies. You can't force a company in another country to abide by our laws, that much is right. As I have said, over and over, I realize I am in the minority. But that doesn't change my mind...You have your feelings and opinions, I have mine and guess what it doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference how we feel our elected officials will do it the way they want.
Its not about feelings, I agree with you on an emotional level.

I just think its a technical problem and would have to be solved using technical means.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:46 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Its not about feelings, I agree with you on an emotional level.

I just think its a technical problem and would have to be solved using technical means.
The American distributor/importer/delivering company would have to pay the tax.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The American distributor/importer/delivering company would have to pay the tax.
Not if they throw it in an envelope in China (or wherever) and ship it right to your door. Even if customs does open it they are only looking for contraband, not single mp3 players.
I've bought small things off of ebay direct from China in the sub $5 range with free shipping takes a little longer (sometimes its actually pretty fast) but is very cheap.
Why would the USPS pick up the tab for you? They are barely managing to stay open on Saturdays as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas