Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 02:47 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Arkansas panel endorses naming Bible state's official book

I wish they wouldn't do this. All it does is end up causing lawsuits that the state loses.

And as books go its not great. Overly wordy, lots of irrelevant stuff, contradictory.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,547,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
did you bother to read who proposed it and what has happened with the proposal? Obviously NOT

Let me add, no one is proposing a change. If we do not have a state book now, adding one isn't a change, it is just an addition and it isn't going to happen anyway.
Let me rephrase. Any time government proposes an addition we go backwards

Old 03-21-2017, 06:51 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,811,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Sounds like Arkansas is trying to force Christianity down everyone else's throat.

I lived in Arkansas for several years and got out as fast as I could.

While it may seem totally unfair, we cannot force others to follow our religious beliefs, read the Bible or attend church services on Sundays.
What part of Arkansas did you live? (I actually need to see more of the state and explore Arkansas) I live in the Northwest corner and I value my community. There are many religions here. How long ago was this?

Old 03-22-2017, 12:10 AM

992 posts, read 876,640 times
I'm so, so sorry about your state government, Arkansas. You desperately need Bill Clinton back in charge. Best wishes!

Old 03-22-2017, 05:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon3154 View Post
"and may I add the idiocy of someone from another state coming on here and discussing something they have no idea about is perplexing"

Sorry, I didn't know there was a rule that says you can only post in the state forum that you live in. Pretty sure people post in different forums all the time.

"You seem to be under the impression we want the Bible to be the state book"

Yes, because the article states it plainly: "An Arkansas House panel has endorsed the idea of naming the Bible as the state's official book."
Maybe it is not likely to happen, in which case I am glad. That changes nothing I said.

"As for prayer in school please tell us what is wrong with saying a prayer before a football game? Should it be mandatory? Of course not, but who is being hurt if some of the players and coaches want to say a prayer?"

When people talk about prayer in public school, it's referring to it in a mandatory, state-sanctioned nature, which used to be the reality in the U.S. I didn't say anything about a football game. I was referring to a time in our history when prayer was said in the classroom much like the pledge of allegiance is today. I am not concerned with the football issue. I will say that its not the same thing at all and it wouldn't be a constitutional violation if everyone was on board. In principle I think its not a great idea because most likely not all the players would be on board, but obviously its not a constitutional issue.

"Have you ever really thought about what this means?"

More than you apparently

"I interpret is as meaning "no forced religion".

It means no forced religion as well as a separation between institutionalized religion and the secular state (hence the name) which means no state sponsored religion, which is what Arkansas would be doing if it declared the bible to be the official book. Of course they aren't forcing people to convert by making the bible the state book, but its still not okay.

"We do not actually know what our forefathers were thinking."

Huh? We know that some of them were influential enlightenment thinkers who absolutely believed in a separation between church and state. What are you saying?
no one including myself every said this was not a public forum; that is what makes CD so special. You referred to the idiocy of people do something or believing something, I am simply saying I can't believe someone would post about something they know nothing about except for something they most likely found out by googling.

Having the Bible as the state book, is not pushing religion down anyone's throat. was there anything in the article that said the proposal was passed or is about to be passed?

As for what did our fore fathers mean? You do not really know, nor do I. It is a matter of opinion and interpretation.

Last but not least, I have said it over and over: I am not in favor of the proposal at all, but I am not going to lose any sleep over it either way. I rest my case. I doubt we will hear another word about it.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
I'm so, so sorry about your state government, Arkansas. You desperately need Bill Clinton back in charge. Best wishes!
Jesus God in heaven, nothing has happened, nothing will; someone happened to see a reference to a possible proposal and now we are going to have all Hell break lose over something that is totally silly and stupid. The state book idea is totally silly, no one cares or will pay any attention, except for the libs on here who will make a mountain out of any mole hill if it serves their cause. Why would anyone bring Clinton into this?

Old 03-22-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
And as books go its not great. Overly wordy, lots of irrelevant stuff, contradictory.
can't rep you again, on this I agree with you.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:52 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
More stupidity from the Republicans. What next a state odor? Smelling like sh*t?

Old 03-22-2017, 07:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
no one including myself every said this was not a public forum; that is what makes CD so special. You referred to the idiocy of people do something or believing something, I am simply saying I can't believe someone would post about something they know nothing about except for something they most likely found out by googling.

Having the Bible as the state book, is not pushing religion down anyone's throat. was there anything in the article that said the proposal was passed or is about to be passed?

As for what did our fore fathers mean? You do not really know, nor do I. It is a matter of opinion and interpretation.

Last but not least, I have said it over and over: I am not in favor of the proposal at all, but I am not going to lose any sleep over it either way. I rest my case. I doubt we will hear another word about it.
Having the Bible as the state book is about defining the state, and the state's citizens, as Christian. It's inappropriate.

The article said that the LEGISLATION had passed the first hurdle. A legislator proposed it, a legislative panel unanimously approved it and sent it on to the next legislative step. We will most certainly hear more about this as it works its way through the legislative process.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:10 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I live in OH. Our "State Song" is "Hang On Sloopy". Does not have any affect on me.
"Snoopy lives in a very bad part of town, and everybody tries to put my Sloppy down". Sounds like code that Ohio is not friendly to po' folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas