Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

the idea of a state book is just stupid period. Who really cares or would bother to find out about a state book? I am waiting until someone thinking of moving to AR comes on CD to ask What is your state book? or your state anything for that matter?

Old 03-19-2017, 05:49 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sarahsays Just because someone has different views from you does not mean they are going backwards.
When a government proposes changes based on religion that means it is going backwards.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I currently live in Oklahoma, which is redder than Arkansas. Problem is states like Arkansas, Oklahoma, and various other Southern states are too rural and their more moderate urban populations are not large enough to counter the ultra-right wing, authoritarian rural vote i.e. those who want a strict theocracy. NWA might be somewhat moderate and secular, but Ft Smith, Paragould, Harrison, Star City, etc are not.

Also, Arkansas' blue past is almost irrelevant today. When Arkansas was blue, California was red. Around 2004 there was a great political sort along religious and cultural lines. Arkansas and Oklahoma are as red as ever today and probably will be for decades to come.

When it comes to different views, I draw the line when it goes against the Constitution. The First Amendment guarantees separation of church and state (though the Christian right will try to make the case that it doesn't). If ANY special interest group, whether it's the Baptist church or the leftist anti-gun crowd succeeds in dismantling the Bill of Rights, anything that's left of our rights in this country are gone.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
You nailed it.
Similar to state bird, state fish, and even a food that some states call their " state food"

If bacon was very popular in an ag state , I suppose Jews would not like it if it became the "state food"
As long as Jews are tax payers in a certain state, bacon should not be considered a "state food". Same goes with religion. As long are non-christian constituents in a state, said state has no business calling the bible the "state book".

Old 03-19-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

I would have a really hard time living in the Bible belt. It amazes me that so many people there really believe that stuff.
It frequently is a hand-banging against the wall experience.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I don't have a problem with what people read or believe. I'm neutral on that. Some people are raised in religious homes and some are not. Everyone is raised with different beliefs. What tends to bother me is the level of hypocrisy that sometimes comes with specific individuals who use their religion as a way to control and hurt others. That obviously isn't limited to Arkansas or the bible belt.
Sometimes?

Old 03-19-2017, 06:42 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Maybe it is only a popularity contest.

I believe the bible is the most popular book in Arkansas.

If any of you disagree, please state which one book is more popular than the bible.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
When a government proposes changes based on religion that means it is going backwards.
did you bother to read who proposed it and what has happened with the proposal? Obviously NOT

Let me add, no one is proposing a change. If we do not have a state book now, adding one isn't a change, it is just an addition and it isn't going to happen anyway.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:19 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,378,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Agree with all of you on this: I have never heard of a State book and doubt this will become a reality. Some group decided this would be a good idea, somehow it made the news once. No one else has ever heard a work about it.. I think some people just like to get worked up about things. Let me add, I doubt anyone else in the country has heard anything about this or if they have, if they really care.
Now lets see if we can't concentrate on some real issues?
Maintaining separation of church and state is a real issure. Let the legislature try to adopt the Koran or the Torah as the state book and see how obscure of an issue people perceive that to be.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:00 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Maintaining separation of church and state is a real issure. Let the legislature try to adopt the Koran or the Torah as the state book and see how obscure of an issue people perceive that to be.
Are those very popular books in Arkansas?
If not, why would they even be considered?

Like naming a veggie burger as the state food of Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas