Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 04:19 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times

Advertisements

Humidity and temperature differences are negligible between any hilly areas of Arkansas. Certainly not enough to amount to an anthill of beans on how many bugs there are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 04:40 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Ticks are the real reason I spray all of the areas of my property where I walk (that is a little less than half an acre). Getting rid of chiggers and a few other nuisance insects is a plus.

I have read that ticks account for 77% of the insect borne illnesses in this country.

I got a few dozen ticks before I got them under control, but now I generally only use repellent if I am going anywhere outside of my "controlled" zone.

One of the people on this forum told me the humidity is less where they live, since they are further up the mountains than I am (I am around 700 feet).

I use permethrin around my house and other areas as well with a lot of success. It works and is cheap.

The person was probably me, I'm at 2150 feet and yes, it definitely makes a difference. When I'm in Jasper and drive home, which is 25 minutes of uphill most of the way, I can watch the thermometer on my truck dash keep going down, 6 degree difference usually. Also, up higher we keep more of a breeze and sometimes strong wind that keeps humidity down. I rarely see mosquitos and I am about as far in the "country" as one could imagine.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:53 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Did a lot of Fishing in southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas when I was younger...expect ticks.. we use to have tons on our legs just walking through tall grass to get to fishing spots...expect snakes as well.. as well as mosquitos lol

Old 01-08-2020, 03:26 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Did a lot of Fishing in southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas when I was younger...expect ticks.. we use to have tons on our legs just walking through tall grass to get to fishing spots...expect snakes as well.. as well as mosquitos lol
I have a neighbor who is a fishing guide, and he says to treat your socks and pants with permethrin.

I would add Deet as well. I use a small amount in key spots (like the back of the shoulders and neck for mosquitoes, if I am going to be around any lakes or ponds, not on my land). Basically, if you have been bitten by an insect, spray that area in the future.

Permithrin is cheep, if you know where to get it for farm animals.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
I have a neighbor who is a fishing guide, and he says to treat your socks and pants with permethrin.

I would add Deet as well. I use a small amount in key spots (like the back of the shoulders and neck for mosquitoes, if I am going to be around any lakes or ponds, not on my land). Basically, if you have been bitten by an insect, spray that area in the future.

Deet mostly is all hubby uses and it seems to work just fine. It is important to use if whenever you are wandering around outside if you are prone to attracting chiggers. Jimmy, you may have been bothered more, depending on your age now, because they were not as many ways to protect ourselves as we know now

Old 01-08-2020, 06:35 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
Quote:

Sounds like you are using permethrin10, like found at Tractor Supply. Try permethrin sfr which is far more concentrated for spraying around your house, bushes, etc. I get it on amazon because it's not easy to find at the stores. It's rated for just about every living creepy crawly, even termites. I spray the permimeter of my house in 3 months and we never have any insects inside which is great for living so close to the tree line like we do.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:00 AM

I get the permethrin sfr from a store right down the road from me. It says it is rated for termites, sure, but it is very short lived. I do my own termite treatments, so I do something different and somewhat unique, but that goes beyond the scope of this thread.

Old 01-08-2020, 12:04 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Think it has to do with: chiggers don't really do much harm, just leave a lot of itching for some and ticks rarely do damage unless you get lime disease or tick fever. Most snakes are harmless but for many it is hard to tell the difference between a good and a bad snake.

Well, they're all good snakes.

If you mean venomous vs non venenmous, it's definitely not hard in the U.S. Though, many a watersnake gets killed for being "water moccasins" and other snakes that vibrate their tails on dry leaf litter (an evolutionary adaptive protection mechanism) gets themselves killed for being rattlesnakes.

Fewer than 1 in 10 calls I had responding to "rattlesnakes" in Wisconsin actually were rattlesnakes. Like, if you can't get that right.... yeesh.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:21 PM

827 posts, read 660,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, they're all good snakes.

If you mean venomous vs non venenmous, it's definitely not hard in the U.S. Though, many a watersnake gets killed for being "water moccasins" and other snakes that vibrate their tails on dry leaf litter (an evolutionary adaptive protection mechanism) gets themselves killed for being rattlesnakes.

Fewer than 1 in 10 calls I had responding to "rattlesnakes" in Wisconsin actually were rattlesnakes. Like, if you can't get that right.... yeesh.
Never had a problem with snakes.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
But then, this ain't Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas