Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 04:51 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,998 times

Advertisements

Every time we go to see my bro-in-law and his family they have a little more work done on the new interchange east of the city on I-30.

I heard that all traffic was going to be routed off I-30 through Nash while that construction was going on. I can't imagine what kind of mess that will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 03:48 PM

21 posts, read 56,654 times
It still has a long way to go. Missouri is basically done with the project all the way up to Kansas City. Louisiana is in the process, and Arkansas is continuing to lag behind. The Bella Vista bypass has yet to begin, but that won't be the difficult part. The bulk of the work needed lays from Texarkana to Fort Smith where I don't believe any work has started. Can anybody confirm if there is any work being done in the Western-Central part of the state?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:04 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Has anyone heard anymore about the progress of this project? I know that it's currently being built around the norteast side of Texarkana but that's all I know. Any info would be appreciated.
This is in reply to an old post, but today's paper had an article that stated it is anticipated to take up to 25 more years to complete I-49. Some segments are being worked on but it will be that long before there is thru-traffic.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:21 PM

41 posts, read 129,680 times
Any new updates on this? It looks like they are starting overpasses on Highway 22 in Barling. Does anyone know of any progress up from Texarkana?

25 more years? I travel down to South Louisiana every 3 weeks via 65 south, this would be much faster for me once it opens.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:37 PM

200 posts, read 682,014 times
Arkansas has the unfortunate luck of having to support a LOT of highway miles with taxes gleaned off of a small population. I'd say 25 years is a conservative estimate. Not even sure if I-69 (the NAFTA highway) will EVER get funded in Arkansas.

I think the cries went up for 4-lane access between El Dorado and Little Rock around the 1980's. They've started work on bits and pieces of it, but still nowhere near a done deal.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:33 PM

I drove through Texarkana a couple weeks ago and the I-49/I-30 interchange is under construction but there is no work, I'm aware of, north of there.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:30 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
There is some work around Fort Chaffee, but it doesn't look like they have done too much.

I have been hearing about this mythical road since as long as I can remember. I think it will carry on in legend for as long as I am alive.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
There is some work around Fort Chaffee, but it doesn't look like they have done too much.

I have been hearing about this mythical road since as long as I can remember. I think it will carry on in legend for as long as I am alive.
Problem is that its not cost effective to build the road between Fort Smith and Texarkana. That is an extremely rural, backwoods part of the state and there really isn't a demand for that connection. Fort Smith/NWA to Kansas City is a completely different story which is why that road has been built. I honestly think an NWA-Tulsa connection at Interstate standards would be nice.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:10 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I honestly think an NWA-Tulsa connection at Interstate standards would be nice.
Knowing the way Oklahoma operates, it would probably be a toll road with potholes all over the place.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:56 PM

Default I-49 thru Arkansas

Today's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette newspaper gave an up-date on I-49. There is ongoing construction in the Fort Smith area and ongoing construction of the I-30/I-49 interchange in Texarkana, otherwise, between those two points is "unscheduled" and depends entirely on funding which is not in the foreseeable future. There is however, a group of people trying to get the subject back onto the "front burner".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas