Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:57 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Funny how when I grew up in this area I never really heard this sort of thing. The kkk is on it's last legs everywhere, thankfully. Just because a group owns some property in the area does not mean the area embraces them.

Branson and Springfield are no better at least according to my sister who lives up that way. She had a friend assaulted on the side of the road in Springfield for having an Obama sticker on his car.
Springfield is indeed quite conservative. Its voting patterns are about the same as the rest of SW MO. I believe Greene county voted around 67% for Bush in 2004 I believe...about on par with the surronding rural counties.

I agree on not having campaign stickers on your car. I live in a liberal mecca right now and I still didn't put an Obama sticker on my car. Political views and religious views should not be worn on your sleeve IMO, as they can be very good at bringing out the worst in people.

Anyway, you'll do just fine if you are a liberal/progressive/hippie in the Ozarks, as long as you don't broadcast it openly.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:51 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
It's more like 10 acres and anything but abandoned. You must be thinking about something els.
Hey....I could be wrong, but I read a couple of web postings where people decided to drive out there and see, and were severly dissapointed.

I haven't been there, although I'm not above sticking my nose in it if I get in the area.

But, don't wait for my first hand report, I tend to pretty much go where the day takes me, and that's usually not past the creek too often.

Here's one from Underground Ozarks:

Underground Ozarks Blog - rush, arkansas and the ku klux klan

Old 12-06-2008, 06:28 AM

807 posts, read 2,514,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Hey....I could be wrong, but I read a couple of web postings where people decided to drive out there and see, and were severly dissapointed.

I haven't been there, although I'm not above sticking my nose in it if I get in the area.

But, don't wait for my first hand report, I tend to pretty much go where the day takes me, and that's usually not past the creek too often.

Here's one from Underground Ozarks:

Underground Ozarks Blog - rush, arkansas and the ku klux klan

This is O/T,but that Underground Ozarks site is awesome. I check it out from time to time,and those guys are crazy.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:42 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
Harrison has a KKK chapter so stay out if you aint white.

Arkansas is the only redneck state
Here is something to comfirm:http://www.uvm.edu/~jloewen/sundownt...ow.php?id=1017

Old 01-17-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
That doesn't "comfirm" anything,and somebody from Georgia has ZERO room to talk about this subject.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:17 PM

47 posts, read 145,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenKarber View Post
That doesn't "comfirm" anything,and somebody from Georgia has ZERO room to talk about this subject.
Somebody from Georgia has ZERO room to talk about the subject??? I am from Georgia, and if we are talking about Racism I think people from Georgia are very qualified to talk about it...we have seen it. My own personal take on the difference in racism in Arkansas and Georgia is that in Georgia it is more hidden. You can't really go around making racist comments in Georgia because you have a very high black population and you are likely to get the big slap down. Here, I have heard more openly racist comments than in Georgia because there are simply fewer black people. My experience was the same as when I was in New England. The people that were racist there were very open about it. You don't hear very many black jokes when a black person is standing right beside you.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddy View Post
Somebody from Georgia has ZERO room to talk about the subject??? I am from Georgia, and if we are talking about Racism I think people from Georgia are very qualified to talk about it...we have seen it. My own personal take on the difference in racism in Arkansas and Georgia is that in Georgia it is more hidden. You can't really go around making racist comments in Georgia because you have a very high black population and you are likely to get the big slap down. Here, I have heard more openly racist comments than in Georgia because there are simply fewer black people. My experience was the same as when I was in New England. The people that were racist there were very open about it. You don't hear very many black jokes when a black person is standing right beside you.
I meant that there isn't any less racism in GA than there is here. Which is what you just said. I really meant that there wasn't any need to look down your nose at AR on racial matters if you're from GA.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenKarber View Post
I meant that there isn't any less racism in GA than there is here. Which is what you just said. I really meant that there wasn't any need to look down your nose at AR on racial matters if you're from GA.
I thought the original post was talking about Harrison County not all of Arkansas or all of Georgia. It is very difficult to judge the degree of racism of one county or one city as compared to any other...it is mostly just speculation; however, having advertisements for the KKK posted in the county is not really a great selling point for a place not being racist.

There are certainly varying degrees of racism in cities in Georgia. There are certainly places I would not live in Georgia as opposed to other cities the same holds true for Arkansas. Harrison County is one of the places that I would choose not to live, but, hey that is just me.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:34 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddy View Post
having advertisements for the KKK posted in the county is not really a great selling point for a place not being racist.
Well, the KKK could come into my town and post advertisements.....heck, even post an advertisement in my front yard when my back was turned.....but that wouldn't mean I am a racist, nor would it mean every person in the whole town is. Sheesh. I do not have control over what the KKK does!

Old 01-18-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Well, the KKK could come into my town and post advertisements.....heck, even post an advertisement in my front yard when my back was turned.....but that wouldn't mean I am a racist, nor would it mean every person in the whole town is. Sheesh. I do not have control over what the KKK does!
Has that ever happen to you before??

I never said that everyone in the town was racist. I never said the town was racist. I said having advertisments for the KKK in the town is not a good fact for the town. I have never been in a town like that. Certainly from an outsiders perspective you can see why the town has such a poor image?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas