Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:24 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I graduated from University of Arkansas at Fort Smith and outside of Arkansas my degree isn't taken very seriously. And with good reason too, the most advanced stuff I was studying at UA Fort Smith in their IT department was beginner stuff at colleges here in North Carolina or even University of Arkansas Fayetteville for that matter. It doesn't help that Westark College was one of the bottom community colleges in the United States. The only college in Arkansas worth going is the main U of A campus in Fayetteville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Might I ask......why didn't you attend/transfer to Fayetteville?
But then what would he complain about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 02:37 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Might I ask......why didn't you attend/transfer to Fayetteville?
My parents wouldn't co-sign on fanancial aid for me to go anywhere that I could not live at home while attending school. There wasn't really a logical way at the time for me to do that without dropping out, working full time then tranferring.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:54 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,505 times
Quote:
My parents wouldn't co-sign on fanancial aid for me to go anywhere that I could not live at home while attending school. There wasn't really a logical way at the time for me to do that without dropping out, working full time then tranferring.
Moderator cut: off topic

So what if you didn't get the very best bachelors degree on the market.
Moderator cut: off topic

I'm having a hard time sympathizing with you.

Last edited by Chickrae; 12-22-2009 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-22-2009, 05:52 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,694 times
This post is silly!!!

Old 12-22-2009, 07:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
This post is silly!!!
why is it silly? Because the OP is biased or because many of us have opinions on the value of AR?

Nita

Old 12-22-2009, 08:43 PM

176 posts, read 419,916 times
This post reminds me once again life and ones happiness is all in what we make it on our own.
I grew up in Ar. was born in Iowa lived in MO MS TN and have lived almost 20 years in MN. I didn't go to college I quit high school in the 10th grade because somebody needed to take care of my younger brother and dad was working on getting married to his 9th 10th or what ever wife at the time. I did get my ged before my oldest child graduated high school.Ive raised 4 children and have lived very comfortably. When I was eighteen a drinking buddy of mine needed help in his cabinet shop and I've been a cabinet maker ever since. I found something that I enjoy doing and stuck with it. When I was 24 I was a foreman in a big company and had people working for me who had many years of college and made less money than me. I make well above the national average wage,have only had unemployment one time for 2 weeks before I started building cabinets.
I believe a lot of my success has come from growing up in Ar and having a good attitude about life.
And I really dont get how people start saying people from Ar are nasty or what ever because when I grew up in Ar in the 70s and 80s there was very few people actually from Ar in Ar and there is even less now.So where are these nasty people you are tacking about really from?
Ar is home to me no matter where I live and someday I might be back so I take it kind of personal when people run it down.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:37 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,994 times
Quote:
So, really you are not mad at Arkansas, but mad at your parents...isn't that about right. I think it is asking too much to have a first rate state owned university in every town in the state. I can't think of any state in the country that has that.

You had me on some of your points, but you completely lost me on this point. If you grew up in Georgia, you could have got the peach scholarship. That State pays for anyone who graduates with a 3.0 gpa to go to any state university including Georgia Tech and Georgia. The money comes from the lottery. I would be in favor of Arkansas going that way.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:39 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
If you grew up in Georgia, you could have got the peach scholarship. That State pays for anyone who graduates with a 3.0 gpa to go to any state university including Georgia Tech and Georgia. The money comes from the lottery. I would be in favor of Arkansas going that way.
It seems that the new lottery has something similar in mind. We do have the Arkansas Challenge Scholarship already, but I don't know the specifics of that one.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:11 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Working your way through school?

Whoever heard of such an absurd concept?

Old 12-23-2009, 09:14 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Working your way through school?

Whoever heard of such an absurd concept?
Rog.....it's so good to see you! Been missing ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas