Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times

Advertisements

Back in the boonies. Things get pretty tight some times. My truck before this one had the antenna broken off and the side mirrors were broken off several times. The blue-gray you can see over the cab and in the upper right corner is sky. I'm on top of a mountain near Magnet Cove, between Malvern and Hot Springs. This whole mountain top is covered by quarries done by the Indians 8,000 years ago (we think). They don't show up in enough detail to post here, but they are very impressive when you are standing there eye-balling them. We have mapped more than a mile of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-truck.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 09:13 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
Have you ever gotten stuck out in the middle of nowhere while doing this stuff?

Old 03-11-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Have you ever gotten stuck out in the middle of nowhere while doing this stuff?
Nope, I know my (and my trucks) limits.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Nope, I know my (and my trucks) limits.
I should have added to that - depends on how far I want to walk!!

Old 03-12-2010, 06:14 PM

Default Exploring Arkansas

This petroglyph is in west Clark County, and no, I did not deface it. I sprinkled flour into the grooves, took the photos, swept off the flour and there is no evidence anyone was there. It is located on, what we call, an Indian workshop. It is a sand stone flow stone that in addition to this petroglyph has hundreds of grooves where the Indians smoothed their stone axes, celts, and adzes. Those tool types were used about 1,400 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-glyph-1.jpg  

Old 03-13-2010, 06:12 PM

This is all that remains of a little farmstead in west Clark County.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-barn-2.jpg  

Old 03-14-2010, 02:31 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
I love barns, especially those old log ones. Someone should save this one, it doesn't look too far gone.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:36 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
I see a lot of old, half-gone barns on my drive between Fort Smith and Hot Springs. Most of them are old metal barns though.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:11 PM

Yep, old barns are special. I had a friend (who died last month) whose hobby was photographing old barns and had a wonderful slide show he often gave to groups. He was not satisfied with only taking photos, he would contact appropriate people and get the full history of the structure if it was available. When my friend and I are out in the boonies chasing cemeteries and see an old barn, we will wonder out loud if Harry got that one.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:29 PM

This is me receiving the Cedar Smoke Blessing from a leader of the Quapaw Tribe at the Menard-Hodges Mounds in Arkansas County. We were getting ready to do some archeological testing in the area looking for the original Arkansas Post. There were, over the years, four or five different communities in the vicinity that were the Arkansas Post. While there, we were to excavate in the Plaza of the mound complex to see if we could get a good date. This is in the Quapaw ancestral homeland and they were interested in our work because they know nothing about their history prior to contact period. Most, if not all, of their tribal leaders, and some of their tribal members, came from northeastern Oklahoma to visit with us and talk about what we found.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-george-quapaw-cedar-smoke-blessing.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas