Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 01:22 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
How nice of you
I enjoy both Japan and Korea and have been to both on numerous occasions.
However when you say comments ike "Koreans are too Korean" within a negative comment, sort of dumbfounds me a bit. You love the Japanese people and its culture yet who the heck would say they are too Japanese? I would assume the Koreans would be the most "too Korean" like the Japanese being too Japanese. Its a very generic comment while being condescending.

I super excited for trip coming up which includes a 4day stop to Hokkaido to see a college buddy! Shes too Japanese for me though!
Well, there is such a thing as 'too Japanese'.

If your friend was your college buddy, it's incredibly doubtful she's 'too Japanese'. I would assume she had interest to live abroad, and was studying abroad, which would automatically make her interested in things outside of just her own culture only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 08:57 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Koreans seem to let lose a bit more than the reserved Japanese, although if you've seen Japanese businessmen on the sake. Both nations have their fair share of eccentrics (despite being known for their conformism). You can find all kinds of eclectic subcultures in the underbellies of Seoul, Tokyo and Osaka.

My fascination for Japan has been more long-standing and deep so I'll visit first, but Korea will be worth a stop-over. Architecturally, neither rate that highly compared to Europe IMO (mostly Chinese derived), but their whole way of life seems very distinct, even within Asia.
When it comes architecture I find Europe and southeast Asia the most interesting

Old 11-04-2012, 08:38 AM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
In a few words: "Gangnam Style".

PSY - GANGNAM STYLE (

Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,093 times
Quote:
My fascination for Japan has been more long-standing and deep so I'll visit first, but Korea will be worth a stop-over. Architecturally, neither rate that highly compared to Europe IMO (mostly Chinese derived), but their whole way of life seems very distinct, even within Asia.
I think Europe was able to preserve their architectural masterpieces simply because they went far ahead of others in terms of modernization, thus they were much faster in recognizing the value of tradition.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Contemporary Korean pop gained popularity on the internet, mainly YouTube as a novelty and in as an ironic appreciation (so bad it's good).

The popularity of the song 'Gangnam Style' can be attributed mainly to its unusual dance and the image of its singer. It is very mundane from a musical standpoint since just about every country in the world is producing very similar sounding pop dance music, but the video's viral explosion now has everyone talking about how Korean pop culture is now mainstream.

I suspect in 10 years, Korea's contributions to global pop culture will normalize. Americans and other Westerners won't be pop'n'lockin while singing in Korean the way Russians sang Beatles songs in English.

As far as Asian pop culture penetrates the West, which is to say deeply but mainly in fetishistic subcultures (weeaboos), Japan will probably dominate for the forseeable future.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:12 PM

210 posts, read 275,277 times
Gangnam Style is just a cheesy novelty song(ala Macarena etc)..with a chubby Asian guy doing a silly horsey dance - There is nothing "cool" about it.

I see doom and gloom rant about Japan here. But I can say that Korea will never surpass Japan.

Korea faces the serious concerns of rapid aging and very low birthrate than Japan.
Korea run a substantial trade deficit (25-30 billion-dollar) with Japan, mainly because key components in Korean products are almost made in Japan.
Most manufacturing machinery is made in Japan.
Korea's patent royalty is 5.8 billion-dollar in deficit(Japan's patent royalty is 7.9 billion-dollar in surplus).
Korea just imports components from Japan and assemble them.

Additionally, they have no problem with commiting a fraud.
Samsung has been sued by many patent infringement(more than 3800 cases) .
Hyundai and Kia has been busted for lying about good gas mileage in order to sell more cars.

If Koreans are so smart, why can't they win a Nobel prize in a scientific field? Why can't they even launch their own rocket? The thing is quite simple. Korea have no real inventiveness and creative technique.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:02 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Contemporary Korean pop gained popularity on the internet, mainly YouTube as a novelty and in as an ironic appreciation (so bad it's good).

The popularity of the song 'Gangnam Style' can be attributed mainly to its unusual dance and the image of its singer. It is very mundane from a musical standpoint since just about every country in the world is producing very similar sounding pop dance music, but the video's viral explosion now has everyone talking about how Korean pop culture is now mainstream.

I suspect in 10 years, Korea's contributions to global pop culture will normalize. Americans and other Westerners won't be pop'n'lockin while singing in Korean the way Russians sang Beatles songs in English.

As far as Asian pop culture penetrates the West, which is to say deeply but mainly in fetishistic subcultures (weeaboos), Japan will probably dominate for the forseeable future.
Yeah, I see Korean pop music in a similar vein. The pop'n'lockin dominates Korea, and that style of dance just always struck me already dated, and well past it's prime.

Boy Bands are enormously popular in Korea as well. But there isn't nothing new or interesting about them.

Well, not particularly interesting to me anyways. I do realize that there are people out there still amazed by pop'n'locking and boy bands. If so, Korea does do both very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
In a few words: "Gangnam Style".

PSY - GANGNAM STYLE (
Okay, the 'Gangnam Style' video is pretty interesting though! But without the visual video to it? Where would it be?

Old 11-17-2012, 04:38 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,531,629 times
Gangnam Style is just funny to me...the song itself is nothing really...better Kpop stuff out there..i thought this tune here is pretty catchy.

Wonder Girls (

Old 11-18-2012, 01:47 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
K-Pop is as plastic as the faces of some of the K-Pop stars.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:38 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,890 times
All my co-workers have been to Korea and say it's a better party spot than Vegas. I really have no desire to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia