Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 09:17 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,427,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringerbell View Post
Obviously this is opinion based and its hard to generalise but I'm moving to Asia for another teaching English stint and would love to hear some opinions...

Which countries are most open?...most friendly?...most genuine and easiest to become an insider?...least xenophobic?...that kind of thing...

And then feel free to share where you have been which seemed the exact opposite...
"Least friendliest"? And you teach English? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 10:30 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Filipinos are friendly but they will also openly talk **** about you and laugh at you when you are walking by. Maybe that happens everywhere.
That happens a lot in Vietnam, even people being nice to you will and smiling then call you names in Vietnamese and tell you "du ma mai" and assume you don't know a word of Vietnamese. But it occasionally happens in touristy parts of Paris, France too.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:28 PM

155 posts, read 148,936 times
Friendly: Philippines (work with and meet a lot of Filipinos)
Unfriendly: South Korea (live in a sub-division surrounded by Koreans)

Old 06-22-2015, 07:19 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringerbell View Post
Vietnam i've heard can be different depending on whether your in Hanoi or HCM with the general opinion being that Hanoi is cold...were you badgered in both cities?...

Well, I've been to both.

All in Hanoi were overly friendly - except the uniformed at immigration/customs.
All in Saigon were overly friendly - except the uniformed at immigration/customs.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-23-2015 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 06-23-2015, 12:15 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
This is what I meant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUnVKFmOPKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ShYk4h1Enw

Filipinos are very direct when it comes to discussing physical features. Filipinos (especially men) like to joke a lot. So the directness and the joking can come off as rude to most Westerners.
I agree on this. Don't get offended if Filipinos called you FAT. We don't mean to insult you.

If you are slim, you are more likely to be target of concern or even mockery, than being fat. When one lose weight, we usually tell them "oh you lose weight, are you doing ok?"

Old 06-23-2015, 04:28 AM

155 posts, read 148,936 times
Having lived in Cebu in the Philippines for the last 2 years I realize that the friendliness of local people is often based on how you come across. The friendlier you are, the friendlier they are.

I think that many may be intimidated by foreigners - so they'll respond to the way you relate to them.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:24 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMil View Post
Friendly: Philippines (work with and meet a lot of Filipinos)
Unfriendly: South Korea (live in a sub-division surrounded by Koreans)
I have been most places in Asia and I would agree with this. Assuming you don't count Russians as Asians.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:24 PM

828 posts, read 691,439 times
The friendliest Asian country that I have been to is definitely Cambodia. However, I haven't been to the Philippines, and every Filipino that I have met has been very cool, so Cambodia might have some competition for friendliest county in East Asia.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:25 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMil View Post
Having lived in Cebu in the Philippines for the last 2 years I realize that the friendliness of local people is often based on how you come across. The friendlier you are, the friendlier they are.

I think that many may be intimidated by foreigners - so they'll respond to the way you relate to them.
is this not true everywhere?

Old 06-02-2016, 03:32 PM

43 posts, read 69,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
The friendliest Asian country that I have been to is definitely Cambodia. However, I haven't been to the Philippines, and every Filipino that I have met has been very cool, so Cambodia might have some competition for friendliest county in East Asia.

I agree with this...cambodians are the most friendly person and most kind(much more kind than japanese) in the whole world... from my experience only cambodians are the only nationality that are friendly and kind with greeks and italians and indians...no other nationalities is really friendly in this world...maybe japanese people are kind but their friendlyness is reserved to people whom they really like but japanese girls are really pure and lovely and hilarious...there are many nationality who just appears to be friendly with no purely good intention....

Last edited by good3352; 06-02-2016 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia