Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in METRO Manila or METRO Kuala Lumpur?
Metro Manila 40 48.78%
Metro Kuala Lumpur 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 04:23 PM

732 posts, read 779,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
I have been to both KL and Manila (although not recently) and I'd imagine living in KL would be much easier than living in Manila. There's less poverty, much better public transport (including an actual train line to the airport), seems safer and cleaner, less pollution, much less traffic, etc.

There are advantages to Manila though, including better nightlife and better food choices. Also more affordable. Living in one of Manila's CBDs like BGC or Ortigas would be like living in a self-contained bubble where you surround yourself with modern first-world conveniences while pretending that the other half who lives in extreme poverty do not exist.
Like for real extreme poverty, the other half?? How i wish I was richer than those extreme other half, and I am not even than poor but not rich though. Id say your blowing it out, just because their houses are not that great looking as yours, they are already poor or extremely poor. There are factors that plays why they look poor but not really upon close introspection, that includes housing and poor govt policies. I know so many individuals in the US, they only look good and may seem not poor due to sound govt policies but in fact they are no better than the average poor in the Phils or Metro Manila. Not only US same with other countries.

If I have to give the proportion of economic classes in Metro Manila using letters, Id put it this way:

A+ -- 5% the elites, luxurious
A- --10% wealthy
B+ --15% comfortable to somehow rich
B- --20% comfortable but still a bit down the hierarchy
C+ --20% middle but struggling
C- --15% can sustain day to day but still poor
D+ --10% very poor
D- -- 5% extremely poor

A normal human can live in an area as large as the size of the main CBDs in Metro Manila. Its not that you will be travelling all day from end to end point of Metro Manila unless your house is from the north and you work at the south(which is an unwise decision in the first place who would that?). You just need to be wise and use common sense and Metro Manila would do great wonders.

Although personally I prefer the province to avoid pollution in very big cities(not just Manila I suppose). But I still love to visit Manila once in a while.

Last edited by neMarL; 01-05-2019 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 04:44 PM

358 posts, read 413,007 times
KL is much richer , much more organised , is cleaner , less crime . You won't see much poverty in KL compared to Manila. Malaysia as a country is much more richer and modern than Philippines.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:02 PM

Being richer is not only the factor that makes the world go round. Especially if they are not even THAT MUCH richer yet. So keep looking and enjoy travelling!

Did I read somewhere that KL has more crime percentage than Manila? Maybe I can keep looking for it.

Probably this one.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Btw look at the comments here and it seems that KL isnt much safer as everybody is telling: omg

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2019 at 01:09 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 05:29 PM

[quote=neMarL;54067194]Being richer is not only the factor that makes the world go round. Especially if they are not even THAT MUCH richer yet. So keep looking and enjoy travelling!

Did I read somewhere that KL has more crime percentage than Manila? Maybe I can keep looking for it.

Probably this one.

Btw look at the comments here and it seems that KL isnt much safer as everybody is telling: omg

Malaysia's GDP per capita is 4 times bigger .

Malaysia = $12k
Philippines = $3.2k

It's also significantly ahead in Human Development Index . In Philippines you will encounter slums and extreme poverty which isn't that prevalent in Malaysia. Infrastructure is also miles better.

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2019 at 01:08 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raheel12 View Post
Malaysia's GDP per capita is 4 times bigger .

Malaysia = $12k
Philippines = $3.2k

It's also significantly ahead in Human Development Index . In Philippines you will encounter slums and extreme poverty which isn't that prevalent in Malaysia. Infrastructure is also miles better.
Mind you those figures aren't that much in real life. And considering those figures has already been rebased. Wait for Phils to do the GDP rebasing lets see what the future holds.

And yes they also are miles ahead in debt to GDP ratio, lol.

One person in Malaysia has 4 times or more equivalent debt than a person in the Phils, goodluck!!

Do I say richer? Nah superficial imo.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:56 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Mind you those figures aren't that much in real life. And considering those figures has already been rebased. Wait for Phils to do the GDP rebasing lets see what the future holds.

And yes they also are miles ahead in debt to GDP ratio, lol.

One person in Malaysia has 4 times or more equivalent debt than a person in the Phils, goodluck!!

Do I say richer? Nah superficial imo.
What is “mind you those figures aren’t that much in real life” supposed to mean?

It is very apparent on ground level that KL is a lot less impoverished than Manila is. The gdp per capita whether ppp or nominal are just a rough approximation and so it’s not an exact place A is 3.75x wealthier or more developed than place B, but it’s good for a rough approximation.

What’s in Manila’s favor is that it can be cheaper and the nightlife is a lot more vibrant, but it definitely has a lot more visible poverty and living standards on average seems notably lower.

At the moment, I’d rather live in Kuala Lumpur but Manila might clean up nicely in the coming years. Though if there was a pick of any major southeast Asian city, then Bangkok is easily my top pick above both.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-06-2019 at 03:18 PM..

Old 01-06-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What is “mind you those figures aren’t that much in real life” supposed to mean?

It is very apparent on ground level that KL is a lot less impoverished than Manila is. The gdp per capita whether ppp or nominal are just a rough approximation and so it’s not an exact place A is 3.75x wealthier or more developed than place B, but it’s good for a rough approximation.

What’s in Manila’s favor is that it can be cheaper and the nightlife is a lot more vibrant, but it definitely has a lot more visible poverty and living standards on average seems notably lower.

At the moment, I’d rather live in Kuala Lumpur but Manila might clean up nicely in the coming years. Though if there was a pick of any major southeast Asian city, then Bangkok is easily my top pick above both.
Yeah for me it still is NOT THAT MUCH, but thats just me ok. I have nothing against your opinion. Let them enjoy that superficial wealth. Lets see what the future holds.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:15 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Yeah for me it still is NOT THAT MUCH, but thats just me ok. I have nothing against your opinion. Let them enjoy that superficial wealth. Lets see what the future holds.
Sure, that’s fine. After all, people naturally become accustomed to their surroundings. As an outsider, the differences seem very notable and immediate and I definitely prefer KL at this point, and outside of opinions, what attempts there have been to use metrics for comparison squarely has KL substantially wealthier and more developed right now, in the recent past, and likely in the near future.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-06-2019 at 05:28 PM..

Old 01-06-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...elopment_Index

Malaysia ranks 57th on Human Development Index while Philippines is 113 . That's a Huge Difference , a neutral Visitor notices it right away.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raheel12 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...elopment_Index

Malaysia ranks 57th on Human Development Index while Philippines is 113 . That's a Huge Difference , a neutral Visitor notices it right away.
Just a mere .01 point addition to PH HDI and its already among countries with high human devt. Take for example South Africa which has the same HDI as the Philippines. Visit Johannesburg and it will give you vibe more developed than anywhere else in Malaysia regardless of how wide the inequality there. So hell yeah dont educate me when I say its not MUCH of a difference especially with the ever ballooning debt of truly asia. To each his own.

Yeah a normal visitor notices it right away superficially on the outside but a neighbor and long time keen is more apt and know better whats behind those glittering shimmering aesthetics deep inside.

Sorry to say this but for me Malaysia is the social climber of Southeast Asia. Sorry just my opinion.

Last edited by neMarL; 01-06-2019 at 09:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia