Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in METRO Manila or METRO Kuala Lumpur?
Metro Manila 40 48.78%
Metro Kuala Lumpur 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 04:23 AM

732 posts, read 780,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raheel12 View Post
Nothing can be done upon a guy who is so blind to facts and figures. Clearly you dont have any answer to all the rankings I gave you. Cmon be brave counter each and every ranking and facts I presented.
Why do I need to show anything more when I already gave you the information I needed to counter you and when you cant give me a single data I was asking which is the Quality of Life index showing Malaysia is 50 odds higher than the Philippines. Give me that and we can move on with more discussion otherwise I can accuse you of lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 01:39 PM

358 posts, read 413,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Why do I need to show anything more when I already gave you the information I needed to counter you and when you cant give me a single data I was asking which is the Quality of Life index showing Malaysia is 50 odds higher than the Philippines. Give me that and we can move on with more discussion otherwise I can accuse you of lying.
So let me get this straight the barometers discussed are :

1. Life Expectancy
2. Health Indicators
3. Governance
4. Social Support
5. Education
6. GDP per capita
7. Freedom
8. Poverty
9. Infrastructure
10 Corruption
11. Science and Technology
12 Crime

and so much more

What exactly is it that you call quality if life? According to UN its HDI.

and In each and every one of them Malaysia is ahead by a big margi . 4 out of 10 people in Philippines don't have a decent place to live. Do you by any chance suffer from Brain Damage? You can't add 2+2 =4 ?

Here is another ranking apart where Manila is lagging . Livability Index

https://business.inquirer.net/235471...eability-index

Based on this year’s edition of the Global Liveability Index, Manila again ranked 104th out of the 140 cities assessed in this survey, with a score of 62 out of 100.

“Neither the rank nor the score of Manila has changed in the last 12 months. The ranking score has improved by one place from 105th five years ago, but the score is unchanged,” Jon Copestake, editor of the survey, explained in an e-mail to the Inquirer.

Copestake further disclosed that within the Asian region, Manila ranked 26th out of the 37 cities, while within the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the Philippine capital ranked fourth out eight cities. It should be noted that cities in Laos and Myanmar were not ranked and that there were two cities in Vietnman included in the survey.

Living conditions in Manila

This concept of liveability assesses which locations provide the best or the worst living conditions globally.

Manila, along with 139 other cities included in the Global Liveability Report 2017, were assessed using over 30 qualitative and quantitative factors across five broad categories namely stability; healthcare; culture and environment; education; and infrastructure. Each factor is rated as acceptable, tolerable, uncomfortable, undesirable or intolerable.

“(Manila) scored worst for stability and healthcare, and best for education and infrastructure, but largely scores between categories do not vary greatly. This contrasts with other Asean cities where the differences between category scores (good and bad) are more pronounced,” Copestake disclosed.

Indicators under the stability pillar included prevalence of petty crime and violent crime; as well as threats of terror, military conflict, and civil unrest. Indicators under healthcare meanwhile included the availability and quality of private healthcare; availability and quality of public healthcare; availability of over-the-counter drugs; and general healthcare indicators.

Copestake however pointed out that the survey doesn’t seek to proscribe how a city can make improvements. It instead represented a “snapshot of where a city stands overall and analysis of how to make improvements would require more detailed analysis.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“Factors like public healthcare, the road network and public transport would generally represent areas for improvement,” he further noted.

Global rankings

Globally, Melbourne in Australia was identified as the most liveable urban center for the seventh consecutive year, followed closely by the Austrian capital, Vienna.

Canadian cities Vancouver, Toronto, and Calgary occupy the third to fifth place respectively. Rounding up the top 10 most liveable cities were Adelaide (Australia); Perth (Australia); Auckland (New Zealand); Helsinki (Finland); and Hamburg (Germany).

The survey also identified Damascus in Syria as the least liveable city.

The EIU report pointed out that “although the top five cities remain unchanged, the past few years have seen increasing instability across the world, causing volatility in the scores of many cities.”

“The impact of declining stability is most apparent when a five-year view of the global average scores is taken. Overall, the global average liveability score has fallen by 0.8 percent to 74.8 percent over the past five years. Weakening stability has been a key factor in driving this decrease. The average global stability score has fallen by 2 percent over the past five years, from 73.4 percent in 2012 to 71.4 percent now,” it added.

Since the global liveability ranking took its current form a decade ago, the world has seen a global economic crisis, a European currency crisis, anti-austerity riots, civil wars in Europe and the Middle East, a refugee crisis and mounting terror attacks. The recent attacks in Manchester, London and Stockholm have highlighted the continued threat from global terrorism

Old 01-09-2019, 09:07 PM

So many unnecessary information/data presented copy pasted. Why do I have this feeling that it is only to let yourself have this go-feel you are good in debate??

Let me have the honor to give you the site/link. Thank me later that #28 and #37 are not 50 odd places apart.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...life-full-list

Old 01-09-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
So many unnecessary information/data presented copy pasted. Why do I have this feeling that it is only to let yourself have this go-feel you are good in debate??

Let me have the honor to give you the site/link. Thank me later that #28 and #37 are not 50 odd places apart.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...life-full-list

LOL so lets believe a site without facts and figures just because it proves your agenda and leave aside the ones that has hard facts . What is the HDI of Philippines ? 50 Places behind . GDP per capita again 50 odd places behind . Dude you are in league of countries like Vietnam not a country like Malaysia which is on the verge of becoming a developed country.

The Ranking you gave has no basis on exactly is it based on unlike other rankings where they specifically mention the barometers. It is a total of 80 countries that is why the difference is small. Its not like HDI or mercer or GDP per capita where they take readings from 180 odd countries. If you take a sample of 10 countries include UK and Somalia in them , Somalia will be 10th . A difference of only 10 places. The difference being that it is because the total list of countries is that small to begin with . In most rankings where they take samples from all 180-185 countries Philippines is behind by 50 odd places like HDI , Mercer , Economic Livability , Prosperity Index , World Happiness Report etc etc. I have been to Philippines dude , was there for 3 months . Amazing amount of Poverty , Slums and Corruption.

The only person that says Malaysia is slightly ahead are blind fillipinos. The difference is daylights to anyone that visits it and the facts back it up too.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
LOL so lets believe a site without facts and figures just because it proves your agenda and leave aside the ones that has hard facts . What is the HDI of Philippines ? 50 Places behind . GDP per capita again 50 odd places behind . Dude you are in league of countries like Vietnam not a country like Malaysia which is on the verge of becoming a developed country.

The Ranking you gave has no basis on exactly is it based on unlike other rankings where they specifically mention the barometers. It is a total of 80 countries that is why the difference is small. Its not like HDI or mercer or GDP per capita where they take readings from 180 odd countries. If you take a sample of 10 countries include UK and Somalia in them , Somalia will be 10th . A difference of only 10 places. The difference being that it is because the total list of countries is that small to begin with . In most rankings where they take samples from all 180-185 countries Philippines is behind by 50 odd places like HDI , Mercer , Economic Livability , Prosperity Index , World Happiness Report etc etc. I have been to Philippines dude , was there for 3 months . Amazing amount of Poverty , Slums and Corruption.

The only person that says Malaysia is slightly ahead are blind fillipinos. The difference is daylights to anyone that visits it and the facts back it up too.
Its probably because you do selective reading. This is their methodology QoL and more:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...es/methodology

Quality of Life : a good job market, affordable, economically stable, family friendly, income equality, politically stable, safe, well-developed public education system, well-developed public health system

To arrive at a country's rank, we first calculated its standardized scores for each of the 65 country attributes. Each country received nine subranking scores by averaging its scores for the country attributes grouped into that subranking. A country's overall score reflects the weighted sum of its subranking scores. The subranking and overall scores were rescaled so that the top country in each category received a value of 100, and others were calculated as a proportion of that top score. Scores were ranked in descending order.

Heres more link, again not 50 odd places.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Heres wikipedia description of Quality of Life(QoL)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_life

Heres your World Happiness Report:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/...-in-the-world/

Does it rank how wealthy countries when South Korea, Japan and Hongkong are below Malaysia on that ranking and much nearer the Philippines? Sounds absurd, right?

Try this different approach of Happiness Survey from Gallup:

https://news.abs-cbn.com/focus/01/02...-gallup-survey

Heres your Prosperity Index:
https://www.prosperity.com/about/resources

Malaysia at #44 and Philippines at #62 even higher than Thailand. So it is 50 odds places higher? So high that it cant be reached? And nowhere near, as some forumers claim here? Also imagine, personal freedom on that survey puts Malaysias figures on a very alarming red flag. How could I ever live in a country that personal freedom is so suppressed? How could you on your end?

So keep trying and focus on the tangible and aesthetics side of your dreamland rather than the overall barometers which includes the intangibĺe ones.

I can go on forever and destroy all your figures too, be my guest. In the meantime lets go back to the original topic.

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2019 at 01:04 AM..

Old 01-10-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Its probably because you do selective reading. This is their methodology QoL and more:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...es/methodology

Quality of Life : a good job market, affordable, economically stable, family friendly, income equality, politically stable, safe, well-developed public education system, well-developed public health system

To arrive at a country's rank, we first calculated its standardized scores for each of the 65 country attributes. Each country received nine subranking scores by averaging its scores for the country attributes grouped into that subranking. A country's overall score reflects the weighted sum of its subranking scores. The subranking and overall scores were rescaled so that the top country in each category received a value of 100, and others were calculated as a proportion of that top score. Scores were ranked in descending order.

Heres more link, again not 50 odd places.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Heres wikipedia description of Quality of Life(QoL)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_life

Heres your World Happiness Report:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/...-in-the-world/

Does it rank how wealthy countries when South Korea, Japan and Hongkong are below Malaysia on that ranking and much nearer the Philippines? Sounds absurd, right?

Try this different approach of Happiness Survey from Gallup:

https://news.abs-cbn.com/focus/01/02...-gallup-survey

Heres your Prosperity Index:
https://www.prosperity.com/about/resources

Malaysia at #44 and Philippines at #62 even higher than Thailand. So it is 50 odds places higher? So high that it cant be reached? And nowhere near, as some forumers claim here? Also imagine, personal freedom on that survey puts Malaysias figures on a very alarming red flag. How could I ever live in a country that personal freedom is so suppressed? How could you on your end?

So keep trying and focus on the tangible and aesthetics side of your dreamland rather than the overall barometers which includes the intangibĺe ones.

I can go on forever and destroy all your figures too, be my guest. In the meantime lets go back to the original topic.
In the United Nations Happiness report Korea and japan Suffer because majority of them are lonely depressed people with little support from family or friends. They pay people there by the hour just to talk to them that's how lonely they are . Also Japanese and Korean culture isn't much Generous . They don't like giving away money to people or helping others hence they suffered in rankings.

I have lived in one and visited Philippines for 3 months . I can tell you there is a big difference . Lets see here . The Basic Human Requirements are Income , Education and Health hence the HDI.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2004rank.html

GDP per capita for 220 Countries

Malaysia = $ 28000 ( Ranked 71st alongside Poland )
Philippines = $ 8300 ( Ranked 151)

That's a difference of 70 odd places.

https://www.infoplease.com/world/hea...cy-countries-0

Life Expectancy

Malaysia = 74.75
Philippines = 68 .96 ( Again a difference of 50 Places)

Education

Not only does Malaysia has a higher median School average but its universities are ranked 4 times more than Philippines which is quite shameful since Malaysia has a 5 times lesser population and much lesser universities.

https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...-rankings/2019

In top 1000 universities , Malaysia has a total of 13 universities compared to only 4 in Philippines despite having significantly lower universities.

That's the basic 3 though , hence the reason why Philippines is ranked significantly lower in HDI.

Last edited by Yac; 01-17-2019 at 12:53 AM..

Old 01-10-2019, 04:35 AM

Quote:
In the United Nations Happiness report Korea and japan Suffer because majority of them are lonely depressed people with little support from family or friends. They pay people there by the hour just to talk to them that's how lonely they are . Also Japanese and Korean culture isn't much Generous . They don't like giving away money to people or helping others hence they suffered in rankings.

I have lived in one and visited Philippines for 3 months . I can tell you there is a big difference . Lets see here . The Basic Human Requirements are Income , Education and Health hence the HDI.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2004rank.html

GDP per capita for 220 Countries

Malaysia = $ 28000 ( Ranked 71st alongside Poland )
Philippines = $ 8300 ( Ranked 151)

That's a difference of 70 odd places.

https://www.infoplease.com/world/hea...cy-countries-0

Life Expectancy

Malaysia = 74.75
Philippines = 68 .96 ( Again a difference of 50 Places)

Education

Not only does Malaysia has a higher median School average but its universities are ranked 4 times more than Philippines which is quite shameful since Malaysia has a 5 times lesser population and much lesser universities.

https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...-rankings/2019

In top 1000 universities , Malaysia has a total of 13 universities compared to only 4 in Philippines despite having significantly lower universities.

That's the basic 3 though , hence the reason why Philippines is ranked significantly lower in HDI.
Its a shame right why they already have 2019 data for university ranking when we have not even reached a quarter of the year yet? Btw in 2018 of that university ranking, why is it that only 3 of those Malaysian universities has entered the list out of their so many universities while Philippines has 4 on their Graduate Employability ranking? Does that mean that Philippine universities has more chances of their graduates be employed while most of Malaysias top universities cannot?

And you know whats more shameful? Despite Malaysias so called superiority of universities, why is it that Philippines literacy rate is at 95% while Malaysia is at 93%? Something doesn't seem right here. Does that mean that Malaysia focuses on developing their top universities but can't even provide quality education on the grassroots level? It seems absurd that your so called way more developed country as you claim is more illiterate than Philippines.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...the-world.html

Old 01-10-2019, 06:12 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Its a shame right why they already have 2019 data for university ranking when we have not even reached a quarter of the year yet? Btw in 2018 of that university ranking, why is it that only 3 of those Malaysian universities has entered the list out of their so many universities while Philippines has 4 on their Graduate Employability ranking? Does that mean that Philippine universities has more chances of their graduates be employed while most of Malaysias top universities cannot?

And you know whats more shameful? Despite Malaysias so called superiority of universities, why is it that Philippines literacy rate is at 95% while Malaysia is at 93%? Something doesn't seem right here. Does that mean that Malaysia focuses on developing their top universities but can't even provide quality education on the grassroots level? It seems absurd that your so called way more developed country as you claim is more illiterate than Philippines.

Malaysia has a third of the population aa the Philippines, so if the number of universities present on that list is supposed to be meaningful, then Malaysia is overrepresented compared to the Philippines.

There are probably a number of differences that can account for the slightly different literacy rate. One is that literacy rates generally improve with each generation and the Philippines relatively massive population growth rates and relatively lower current and historical life expectancy years means that Malaysia has a larger proportion of older people / eldery who are more likely to be illiterate.

The second is that Malaysia as a relatively economically prosperous country attracts a larger number of economic refugees from poorer countries which likely have a lower literacy rate.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Malaysia has a third of the population aa the Philippines, so if the number of universities present on that list is supposed to be meaningful, then Malaysia is overrepresented compared to the Philippines.

There are probably a number of differences that can account for the slightly different literacy rate. One is that literacy rates generally improve with each generation and the Philippines relatively massive population growth rates and relatively lower current and historical life expectancy years means that Malaysia has a larger proportion of older people / eldery who are more likely to be illiterate.

The second is that Malaysia as a relatively economically prosperous country attracts a larger number of economic refugees from poorer countries which likely have a lower literacy rate.
You may have a point but none of the two reasons you provided hits the mark.

First, Indonesias median age population is at 30.2, Thailand at 37.7 while Malaysia has a younger population composition at 28.5, even Singapore is at 34.6. By your analogy, these 3 countries should have larger elderly population than Malaysia. And yet Singapore and Thailand squeezed it at 96% while Indonesia is at par at 93% literacy rate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._by_median_age

Second, Malaysia isnt on the top 20 countries with highest number of immigrants. Take, South Africa, Thailand and Ukraine; these has more number of immigrants than Malaysia(we all know that immigrants from these 3 countries are coming from poorer areas) and yet they managed to get 93%, 96% and 100% literacy rate, respectively.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...D49UXb6IhwqiwJ

MigrationReport2017_Highlights.pdf

Last edited by neMarL; 01-10-2019 at 07:29 AM..

Old 01-10-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Unemployment is 7 % in Philippines and 3.4 % in Malaysia so a big no !

You are literally grasping for straws now . Out of the countless dozens of indicators Philippines nudges Malaysia by a position in one area and you latch on to it . Malaysia might be better than Germany in one small little area but it isn't the better country overall . Same is the case with Philippines and Malaysia . It's like one guy has a better house but you claim that doesn't matter since you have a better kitchen.

Last edited by raheel12; 01-10-2019 at 01:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia