Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in METRO Manila or METRO Kuala Lumpur?
Metro Manila 40 48.78%
Metro Kuala Lumpur 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 03:36 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
In my general observation, for whatever reason, put two Filipinos together, and they'll almost never use English together. Even if there are non-Filipinos at the same table or same room, they'll insist on using a Filipino language and chat amongst each other.

That being said, they all seem more than capable of speaking English and understanding English. Generally!

I have been to some parts of the Philippines, Mindinao in particular, where I was quite surprised to encounter people who just had no idea how to speak English. But I think it was a real exception, not the norm. Up in Luzon/Manila, almost everyone seems to be able to code switch and use English anytime they want.

All that being said, in general, I feel that both the Philippines and Malaysia are more comfortable with English, than most anywhere else in Asia, along with Singapore. I'd have a difficult time choosing one that was better or worse with English. I think my natural gut instinct is that somehow Filipinos must be better at English, but it would only be marginally different between the two.
In Singapore it varies. While almost everyone under 65 born in Singapore can speak English, some are a bit less fluent than others. Some speak it no differently to native speakers in the Anglosphere, while others don't have perfect grammar, but seldom have trouble understanding or expressing things. I'd say this is more true for those who mostly speak Mandarin, Hokkien, Malay, Tamil.etc. The number of non-Singaporean foreigners living there skews things and might make English less universal. Of course, packaging etc is usually all in English, as our signs.etc. There's sometimes but not always Chinese and Malay translations. On the MRT announcements are in the 4 official languages.

What the Philippines doesn't have is a large percentage of people who use English in their day to day lives. Among school-children it's about 50% these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Actually you just caused me to reflect on something.

In Malaysia, I'd see written Malay everywhere. However, I kind of liked it, as it was written in the Latin Alphabet, unlike Korean, Japanese, Thai, etc. I felt like I was learning words, like 'exit' or whatever else.

In the Philippines, I saw so much English, every now and then again I'd see a Filipino language, and have a sudden reminder that English isn't the first language in the Philippines. I'm guessing with so many different dialects throughout the Philippines, and issues with Tagalog being superimposed over everyone, that English is a much more neutral language when it comes to signage.
Yeah i had no idea the Phils were so English speaking, or that even signs and packaging are all in English. Then again India is in the same boat (with even more diversity) yet English isn't as widespread.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:39 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
In Singapore it varies. While almost everyone under 65 born in Singapore can speak English, some are a bit less fluent than others. Some speak it no differently to native speakers in the Anglosphere, while others don't have perfect grammar, but seldom have trouble understanding or expressing things. I'd say this is more true for those who mostly speak Mandarin, Hokkien, Malay, Tamil.etc. The number of non-Singaporean foreigners living there skews things and might make English less universal. Of course, packaging etc is usually all in English, as our signs.etc. There's sometimes but not always Chinese and Malay translations. On the MRT announcements are in the 4 official languages.

What the Philippines doesn't have is a large percentage of people who use English in their day to day lives. Among school-children it's about 50% these days.
That's one of the things that has always stood out for me, whenever I've visited Singapore. Overhearing several non-native English speakers conversing entirely with English.

In the Philippines, it's always in a Filipino language, with an occasional English phrase blurted out here or there. Malaysia seemed like that, as far as I can recall.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
That's one of the things that has always stood out for me, whenever I've visited Singapore. Overhearing several non-native English speakers conversing entirely with English.

In the Philippines, it's always in a Filipino language, with an occasional English phrase blurted out here or there. Malaysia seemed like that, as far as I can recall.
The thing is, while education in Singapore is now all in English, each student must learn a 'mother tongue' language. For Chinese it's usually Mandarin, Malay for Malays, Tamil for Tamils. Your 'race' depends on your father's race. Although you can still choose another language if you want, so an Indian may study Mandarin.etc. So between Singaporeans of different 'races' English is the lingua franca. 'Within' races it varies depending on social circles. Chinese and Indians are more likely to speak English than Malays. Plus there's a policy of 'racial distribution' to prevent ghettoisation (you may have noticed this) and segregation. Singapore isn't very segregated although there's some prejudice towards some among foreign workers.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:58 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
English Proficiency Test excluded the Philippines in Asian Ranking

Rebuilding for a Better Philippines: English Proficiency test excluded the Philippines in Asian ranking

Ph --World's Best country in Business English

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/ph--world-s...s-english.html

Old 11-27-2013, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I'm assuming Singapore was also excluded. The Phils are not a native English speaking country though in the way Singapore is as so few people use it as their main language, it's a bit like Sweden in that way. English has been a lingua franca in Singapore since 1819, even though the majority were probably only fluent in it in the past 50 years or so. Once English usage passes 50% in Singapore I think it will be the first and only Asian country in the 'Anglosphere' joining the US, UK, Canada, Australia, NZ.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:05 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
Ph -- World's best country in Business English

PH: World's best country in business English

Old 11-27-2013, 04:07 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
another funny one. Nobody is expected to speak English in these situations, so it makes a good prank

Wow Mali: Conyo Drivers - YouTube

Old 11-27-2013, 04:34 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
If you live within a large metropolitan area, you should have no problem encountering Filipinos who use English in their day to day lives. There's a reason the call centers and BPO offices are located there and it's not because of Waray. What the people living in Maguindanao speak in their day to day lives should be none of an expat's concern.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:40 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,114,046 times

Filipino kid from Philippines interviewed by Ellen de Generes
his conversation in English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia