Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in METRO Manila or METRO Kuala Lumpur?
Metro Manila 40 48.78%
Metro Kuala Lumpur 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 06:11 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post

Filipino kid from Philippines interviewed by Ellen de Generes
his conversation in English.
Boy sounds very American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 06:20 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Filipinos are the most talented code-switchers. They do it with such ease, especially celebrities.

Meet new Star Magic talent Janella Salvador - YouTube

mixing the 2 languages is seen as a sign of class, not a sign of lacking abilities in either language. I wonder if it's like that anywhere else in the world

Old 11-27-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Filipinos are the most talented code-switchers. They do it with such ease, especially celebrities.

Meet new Star Magic talent Janella Salvador - YouTube

mixing the 2 languages is seen as a sign of class, not a sign of lacking abilities in either language. I wonder if it's like that anywhere else in the world
In Malaysia it's normal for people to speak 3 or more languages and often use all of them in the same day. For instance one might speak Malay at school, English with their friends out of school, Mandarin with their parents and Hokkien with their grandparents. Plus they might code-switch between all or between Manglish and more proper English. It's rare to find anyone who speaks only one language, it's usually at least English and Malay. Malaysia really is a very multicultural and diverse country in Asia, their tourist slogan 'truly Asia' is more than a tourist slogan, you feel it's where the main Asian cultures: Malay, Chinese and Indian, come together.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:29 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
But I'm talking about mixing the languages whenever you feel like it. Like in the video, they choose whenever they want to switch languages, even in mid-sentence, and sometimes in one sentence it will be English- Tagalog- English. They start a reply in whichever language as well. It's seen as a prestigious way of speaking. How common is that in Malaysia?

Old 11-27-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
But I'm talking about mixing the languages whenever you feel like it. Like in the video, they choose whenever they want to switch languages, even in mid-sentence, and sometimes in one sentence it will be English- Tagalog- English. They start a reply in whichever language as well. It's seen as a prestigious way of speaking. How common is that in Malaysia?
Pretty common, although when I used to go with my parents they'd usually speak in English to their friends, but I've seen them often switch between languages. They also sprinkle a lot of Malay and Chinese words and phrases into English...it's like stick to one language for god sake haha.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:44 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
In Malaysia it's normal for people to speak 3 or more languages and often use all of them in the same day. For instance one might speak Malay at school, English with their friends out of school, Mandarin with their parents and Hokkien with their grandparents. Plus they might code-switch between all or between Manglish and more proper English. It's rare to find anyone who speaks only one language, it's usually at least English and Malay. Malaysia really is a very multicultural and diverse country in Asia, their tourist slogan 'truly Asia' is more than a tourist slogan, you feel it's where the main Asian cultures: Malay, Chinese and Indian, come together.
Well "trully Asia" is either true or false, actually the British already screwed Malaysia from being trully Asia...

Old 11-27-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Well "trully Asia" is either true or false, actually the British already screwed Malaysia from being trully Asia...
Huh, what do you mean? I'm saying Malaysia is where one can experience different Asian cultures reasonably authentically. Go to Brickfields and you could be in Chennai. You can get yum cha as good as in Hong Kong. Plus there's Arab and Persian food in KL, plus the native culture and the synthesis of foods from Asian and western cultures.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:56 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,116,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Huh, what do you mean? I'm saying Malaysia is where one can experience different Asian cultures reasonably authentically. Go to Brickfields and you could be in Chennai. You can get yum cha as good as in Hong Kong. Plus there's Arab and Persian food in KL, plus the native culture and the synthesis of foods from Asian and western cultures.
We never dream of Malaysia or Singapore cultural diversity. hmm was replying from your post as a Filipino but seems it was edited.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
We never dream of Malaysia or Singapore cultural diversity. hmm was replying from your post as a Filipino but seems it was edited.
You were quick, lol, yeah I deleted it because I didn't want to start anything...

Old 11-27-2013, 08:48 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
As far as business goes the only language that matters is English. If the Philippines can produce at least 20M - 50M people who are fluent in English then the country should be eble to keep attracting businesses or land jobs overseas that require strong command of the language. What the rest of the population does is of little concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia