Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in METRO Manila or METRO Kuala Lumpur?
Metro Manila 40 48.78%
Metro Kuala Lumpur 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 04:40 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

^ Yeah Malaysia is clearly a way better place to live, and KL better than Manila. Just too many annoying Filipino boosters here, dunno why so many Filipinos here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 08:03 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
^ You can look at who voted in the poll. I only recognize a couple Filipinos on there.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ You can look at who voted in the poll. I only recognize a couple Filipinos on there.
But whatever, I haven't visited Manila and I never hear of anyone wanting to visit Manila. KL wins easily. The food alone is good enough reason.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:17 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Food, healthcare, infrastructure, good city planning, hygiene, and sterilness. KL is a much more modern place than manila, it even beat bangkok on that sector.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Food, healthcare, infrastructure, good city planning, hygiene, and sterilness. KL is a much more modern place than manila, it even beat bangkok on that sector.
Definitely, I wonder if most of these Filipinos or gullible Americans who listen to them have even been to KL. I've not been to Manila, but Ive seen videos and heard enough to know it's not a place I want to live even if I was rich. I barely even want to visit it.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:35 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Definitely, I wonder if most of these Filipinos or gullible Americans who listen to them have even been to KL. I've not been to Manila, but Ive seen videos and heard enough to know it's not a place I want to live even if I was rich. I barely even want to visit it.
I love big cities and i would travel there, should be quiet interesting, it have descent historical content like intramuros and beautiful spanish remnant. Its old town is better preserved than Jakarta which old town was said to be scheduled this March for redevelopment. Gosh how left behind we are but Manila feels very dangerous, a feeling i didnt have in many other cities before maybe except stratford, brixton and croydon in London.

I did say i get enough of KL, but the food is something that would definitely be missed.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
I love big cities and i would travel there, should be quiet interesting, it have descent historical content like intramuros and beautiful spanish remnant. Its old town is better preserved than Jakarta which old town was said to be scheduled this March for redevelopment. Gosh how left behind we are but Manila feels very dangerous, a feeling i didnt have in many other cities before maybe except stratford, brixton and croydon in London.

I did say i get enough of KL, but the food is something that would definitely be missed.
I've read many blogs about visitors in Manila who also felt that it was dangerous. They usually attribute the dangerous feeling to the armed guards in front of entrances. I actually feel safer because of the guards because they're a precaution against terrorist attacks. They also have security checks at the entrances of most large buildings. Better to be safe than sorry. The crime rate in Manila is actually low for a third world country. For example, the murder rate is about the same as Dallas, an average American city. About 10 murders per 100,000 people in 2013.

It's nowhere near as dangerous as Latin American cities. For comparison:
Caracas- 200 per 100,000
Tegucigalpa- 86
Rio- 45
Panama City- 31
Mexico City- 22
Bogota- 17

So when people say that Manila feels like a Latin American city, it certainly doesn't feel that way because of crime.

I didn't vote in the poll because I'd be biased. I'd want to live in Manila because I'm Filipino. I know that most people wouldn't want to live there though.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:23 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times
Like Smtchll, I didn't vote too since I am a Filipino.

I liked Malaysia when I went there, so many places to visit though they were quite widespread. I wish it would be the next place for us to settle in while living in Asia as it is like the Philippines very easy for a foreigner to get by because of the English language.

Manila may have some dirty places mostly because of the poor people but it is also a very easy place for a foreigner to settle in. It is a very westernised place that most expats don't really feel like they are so away from home ( Philippines is the most westernised country in Asia having been under strict Spanish rule for 350 years plus under America for 50 years ) . It has many international food and clothing chains plus international products, everyone speaks English so a foreigner can get around so easily and can send his children to any school because the medium of instruction in all schools is English.
Filipinos are the easiest for a a foreigner to integrate with because of their being more open compare to all other Asians.
I have seen soo many expats in Manila and looking at them, I could tell that they are very well adjusted and are enjoying living in the Philippines.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Like Smtchll, I didn't vote too since I am a Filipino.

I liked Malaysia when I went there, so many places to visit though they were quite widespread. I wish it would be the next place for us to settle in while living in Asia as it is like the Philippines very easy for a foreigner to get by because of the English language.

Manila may have some dirty places mostly because of the poor people but it is also a very easy place for a foreigner to settle in. It is a very westernised place that most expats don't really feel like they are so away from home ( Philippines is the most westernised country in Asia having been under strict Spanish rule for 350 years plus under America for 50 years ) . It has many international food and clothing chains plus international products, everyone speaks English so a foreigner can get around so easily and can send his children to any school because the medium of instruction in all schools is English.
Filipinos are the easiest for a a foreigner to integrate with because of their being more open compare to all other Asians.
I have seen soo many expats in Manila and looking at them, I could tell that they are very well adjusted and are enjoying living in the Philippines.
Yes most Filipinos I've met have been very friendly, most can at least hold a conversation in English, although their accents are strong. I look forward to visiting the Philippines, but maybe not Manila, or if I do just to see how the people there live, preferably in a private car or taxi haha. I am interested in seeing that big cemetery where people live, is it safe for tourists to visit it?

Living Among the Dead - YouTube

Old 01-29-2014, 12:07 AM

^ Yes, its safe. Even the bad parts of Manila are safe to walk around in during the day. I've walked around Tondo and everyone was friendly and happy. It's supposedly the worst part of Manila. The bad parts of Manila are so densely populated that if someone tries to harm you, there will be plenty of people around to help you out. Filipinos are not the type to sit there and watch you get assaulted and do nothing about it. At night it's a different story because there aren't many people out and there's not much light in the poor areas. Getting something snatched off of you is always a possibility, day or night, but violent crime is rare. The ghettos in American cities feel so much more dangerous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia