Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in METRO Manila or METRO Kuala Lumpur?
Metro Manila 40 48.78%
Metro Kuala Lumpur 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:15 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ Yes, its safe. Even the bad parts of Manila are safe to walk around in during the day. I've walked around Tondo and everyone was friendly and happy. It's supposedly the worst part of Manila. The bad parts of Manila are so densely populated that if someone tries to harm you, there will be plenty of people around to help you out. Filipinos are not the type to sit there and watch you get assaulted and do nothing about it. At night it's a different story because there aren't many people out and there's not much light in the poor areas. Getting something snatched off of you is always a possibility, day or night, but violent crime is rare. The ghettos in American cities feel so much more dangerous
Ah so if you visit Manila it's safe to walk anywhere in the day? In America I feel even in broad daylight some places are scary because there's nobody there. I guess petty theft would still be a worry.

What about jeepney drivers? Are there many who want to rip you off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:28 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Ah so if you visit Manila it's safe to walk anywhere in the day? In America I feel even in broad daylight some places are scary because there's nobody there. I guess petty theft would still be a worry.

What about jeepney drivers? Are there many who want to rip you off?
Yes, to me, all of Manila feels safe in the daytime because there are so many people out. Maybe I'd stay out of back alleys though. Yes, American cities are much scarier. If you're walking through the wrong neighborhoods, the people look like they want to kill you. In Manila, generally everyone is smiling.

Found a video of a Japanese guy walking around Tondo at night.

a night in Tondo

Even at night, it seems to be fine. I wouldnt advise it though

Jeepney drivers won't rip you off because you ride with other passengers and you're all charged the same amount. Taxi drivers are the ones who will rip you off, but I don't have much experience with the taxis.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:39 AM

Tondo during the day with the same Japanese guy Doesn't look too bad to me

Life in Tondo

I heard someone say "An nyoung ha seh yo" (Korean "hello") to him, even though he's Japanese

Old 01-29-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, to me, all of Manila feels safe in the daytime because there are so many people out. Maybe I'd stay out of back alleys though. Yes, American cities are much scarier. If you're walking through the wrong neighborhoods, the people look like they want to kill you. In Manila, generally everyone is smiling.

Found a video of a Japanese guy walking around Tondo at night.

a night in Tondo

Even at night, it seems to be fine. I wouldnt advise it though

Jeepney drivers won't rip you off because you ride with other passengers and you're all charged the same amount. Taxi drivers are the ones who will rip you off, but I don't have much experience with the taxis.
I've walked around LA, Memphis.etc at night alone, also places like Bangkok in pretty deserted areas and it felt pretty safe.

I've heard the ladyboys can be aggressive, like grabbing your crotch and stuff. Is that something to worry about?

How dangerous is the traffic for pedestrian? Seems an unpleasant place to do much walking. Is the metro easy to use?

It seems taking the jeepneys might be confusing, especially if you have no idea where they're going! What about buses?

Old 01-29-2014, 01:00 AM

^ Ladyboys are not as common as you think and they're not really aggressive. Usually the most they'll do is make some lude comment.

The main roads are not pedestrian friendly, but if you're walking around neighborhoods (like the one in the video above) it won't be dangerous as far as traffic goes. I've only ridden the metro a few times and I was just following the lead of experienced Filipinos, but I just remember that waiting in the lines are a pain.

This blogger describes the metro problems in detail
Quote:
First you have to guess which side of the road your journey will be going from. Then you have to climb the stairs and stand in line to get your bag searched. Then you get to stand in line again to get a ticket. Then you get told ‘no you need the other side of the road for that stop’ so you then have to go back downstairs, somehow get across the road, climb the stairs again, stand in line to get your bag searched again, stand in line for a ticket again before finally getting onto the platform to get to your destination. There are no maps on the platform and no indication which direction trains are going.
Some things to know about Manila | sarah'sblog

That pretty much sums up Filipino inefficiency. You have to be very patient in the Philippines.

All about how to ride a jeepney
My First Jeepney Ride: 5 tips to get you started. Bayad Po! | Asia Travelbug

Old 01-29-2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
^ Ladyboys are not as common as you think and they're not really aggressive. Usually the most they'll do is make some lude comment.

The main roads are not pedestrian friendly, but if you're walking around neighborhoods (like the one in the video above) it won't be dangerous as far as traffic goes. I've only ridden the metro a few times and I was just following the lead of experienced Filipinos, but I just remember that waiting in the lines are a pain.

This blogger describes the metro problems in detail

Some things to know about Manila | sarah'sblog

That pretty much sums up Filipino inefficiency. You have to be very patient in the Philippines.

All about how to ride a jeepney
My First Jeepney Ride: 5 tips to get you started. Bayad Po! | Asia Travelbug
I was accosted by a ladyboy in Phuket who grabbed my arm and wouldn't take no for an answer. Lucky a group of others were walking around before a struggle ensued. I know if they get in a fight things can get ugly. I heard of someone who said it was a 'thing' in the Philippines for lady boys to grab your crotch so you can't escape...yikes, haha. I hope it's not a common tactic they employ.

Oh yeah, I guess it's not Singapore or Hong Kong huh? haha

Old 01-29-2014, 04:45 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,840 times
Woow this map is consideration, i can't believe how high crime rate in KL and PJ scoring above 70!!! Im not that surprised about JB but PenanG??? especially being behind Jakarta which is a major city???? i lived in PJ hearing bad news from migrants, mostly Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Africans... Indonesians occasionally, sometimes local, then there was also news about Sarawakians pretending being Indonesians blabla, once also Indians are fighting with Malays (u melayu bla3 still remember)... but didn't expect it to be that bad.... i mean no bad things happened to me atleast.....

Makati seems safer, but Manila on the other side have homicide rate of 66!!! second highest in Southeast Asia!!! but Cebu seems very reasonable as expected, the positive view from visitors is not wrong at all!

Indonesia's minor city is as expected to have very low crime rate (Bali, Yogyakarta), so Bali is one of the safest place in Southeast Asia afterall.

World Map of Crime Index for 2014>

http://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings.jsp

Last edited by Goshio22; 01-29-2014 at 05:08 AM..

Old 01-29-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Woow this map is consideration, i can't believe how high crime rate in KL and PJ scoring above 70!!! Im not that surprised about JB but PenanG??? especially being behind Jakarta which is a major city???? i lived in PJ hearing bad news from migrants, mostly Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Africans... Indonesians occasionally, sometimes local, then there was also news about Sarawakians pretending being Indonesians blabla, once also Indians are fighting with Malays (u melayu bla3 still remember)... but didn't expect it to be that bad.... i mean no bad things happened to me atleast.....

Makati seems safer, but Manila on the other side have homicide rate of 66!!! second highest in Southeast Asia!!! but Cebu seems very reasonable as expected, the positive view from visitors is not wrong at all!

Indonesia's minor city is as expected to have very low crime rate (Bali, Yogyakarta), so Bali is one of the safest place in Southeast Asia afterall.

World Map of Crime Index for 2014>

Crime Index by City 2014
ignore it, i just find out this site is total douche, i thought it was the real city by crime index geez.... im too ignorant and stupid for even posting it in the first place

I shouldnt hav doubted KL and Manila's safety in the first place.... Kl in particular is very safe

Last edited by Goshio22; 01-29-2014 at 06:58 AM..

Old 01-29-2014, 09:34 AM

^ yeah that's weird. I've heard many say Malaysia is getting more dangerous, though going by stats it still seems safe. They usually cite anecdotal cases as evidence, though, so it's hard to really judge.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:30 PM

Malaysia is getting more dangerous with reboost of immigrants from all over the world now, except the Americas.. Malaysia government have restricted visa there to counter it though.

Major cities especially capital tend to have higher crime rate anyway, its where the money flow afterall and not to mention, dirty politician.

I have never seen mat rempit in kl but my friends keep telling me they are causing so much trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia