Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in METRO Manila or METRO Kuala Lumpur?
Metro Manila 40 48.78%
Metro Kuala Lumpur 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:49 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Malaysia is getting more dangerous with reboost of immigrants from all over the world now, except the Americas.. Malaysia government have restricted visa there to counter it though.

Major cities especially capital tend to have higher crime rate anyway, its where the money flow afterall and not to mention, dirty politician.

I have never seen mat rempit in kl but my friends keep telling me they are causing so much trouble.
Yes, the immigrants from poorer countries might have something to do with it, especially the thefts and robberies. And yes, it varies from place to place. Somewhere like Penang, Malacca or Kuantan is safer than KL I think. I think East Malaysia is safer still, and more harmonious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 10:52 PM

27 posts, read 48,163 times
Neither really fit my fancy, but KL is a bit cleaner and more modern.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:12 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
So when people say that Manila feels like a Latin American city, it certainly doesn't feel that way because of crime.
I spent 10 months in South America, and the crime isn't absolutely everywhere. It's in its pockets as well. But, I do feel Manila and the Philippines does remind me of Latin America, and it partly is because of the crime concerns.

You also have guns in the Philippines, that people can legally carry around with them. I have the occassional 'no guns allowed' or 'leave your guns at the door' sign here and there in Manila.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Manila may have some dirty places mostly because of the poor people but it is also a very easy place for a foreigner to settle in. It is a very westernised place that most expats don't really feel like they are so away from home ( Philippines is the most westernised country in Asia having been under strict Spanish rule for 350 years plus under America for 50 years ) . It has many international food and clothing chains plus international products, everyone speaks English so a foreigner can get around so easily and can send his children to any school because the medium of instruction in all schools is English.
Filipinos are the easiest for a a foreigner to integrate with because of their being more open compare to all other Asians.
I have seen soo many expats in Manila and looking at them, I could tell that they are very well adjusted and are enjoying living in the Philippines.
This is true to some extent. I mean, the shopping the language, the westernization, etc.

That being said, I wouldn't agree that foreigners can integrate into Filipino society. For the most part, foreigners are seen as a huge dollar sign, and that impacts every waking moment of life in Manila. Meaning, the moment they see you are white, it is overcharge time, and ask for something time, and looks like we have someone paying the bill if he can join us time.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
Manila no brainer

Old 02-02-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
^ Yes, its safe. Even the bad parts of Manila are safe to walk around in during the day. I've walked around Tondo and everyone was friendly and happy. It's supposedly the worst part of Manila. The bad parts of Manila are so densely populated that if someone tries to harm you, there will be plenty of people around to help you out. Filipinos are not the type to sit there and watch you get assaulted and do nothing about it. At night it's a different story because there aren't many people out and there's not much light in the poor areas. Getting something snatched off of you is always a possibility, day or night, but violent crime is rare. The ghettos in American cities feel so much more dangerous
I agree that the ghettos in America feel and are much more dangerous.

But, if you are white or non-Filipino looking, you really shouldn't wander around in the unsafest areas of Manila. If you are Filipino, you can more or less try to blend in, and people will give you the benefit of the doubt.

But, if you are white, and you're going to walk around the worst parts of Manila, you are definitely going to have to seriously watch yourself. When you are white walking around in random areas, people ARE watching you, and not all with the best intentions.

Even in the tourist areas, where there are tons of people around, you will see and experience a ton of sketchy stuff - i.e. street kids following your around, hustlers, pimps, on and on. It can be a little circus at times. I could probably write a book on ways to try to 'ditch your attachee', but I wouldn't count on random passerbys to step in for you. You really have to just watch yourself, and try your best to deal with that stuff when in Manila streets.

The way that expats deal with Manila, is they end up with drivers driving them everywhere, and they stay out of the streets as much as possible.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Manila no brainer
KL no brainer.

This is how millions in Manila live:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mani...w=1440&bih=682

Old 02-02-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I agree that the ghettos in America feel and are much more dangerous.

But, if you are white or non-Filipino looking, you really shouldn't wander around in the unsafest areas of Manila. If you are Filipino, you can more or less try to blend in, and people will give you the benefit of the doubt.

But, if you are white, and you're going to walk around the worst parts of Manila, you are definitely going to have to seriously watch yourself. When you are white walking around in random areas, people ARE watching you, and not all with the best intentions.

Even in the tourist areas, where there are tons of people around, you will see and experience a ton of sketchy stuff - i.e. street kids following your around, hustlers, pimps, on and on. It can be a little circus at times. I could probably write a book on ways to try to 'ditch your attachee', but I wouldn't count on random passerbys to step in for you. You really have to just watch yourself, and try your best to deal with that stuff when in Manila streets.

The way that expats deal with Manila, is they end up with drivers driving them everywhere, and they stay out of the streets as much as possible.
That bad? But it's okay to wander through most of the busy areas during the day, right?

I would say the same would apply to an Asian who obviously looks like a tourist, although it would easier to blend in if you wanted to.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I was accosted by a ladyboy in Phuket who grabbed my arm and wouldn't take no for an answer. Lucky a group of others were walking around before a struggle ensued. I know if they get in a fight things can get ugly. I heard of someone who said it was a 'thing' in the Philippines for lady boys to grab your crotch so you can't escape...yikes, haha. I hope it's not a common tactic they employ.

Oh yeah, I guess it's not Singapore or Hong Kong huh? haha
Quote:
^ Ladyboys are not as common as you think and they're not really aggressive. Usually the most they'll do is make some lude comment.
Thailand has a ton more ladyboys. You do get them in Manila as well, mostly in the tourist areas. So, if you are a foreigner, you'll encounter them.

My worst encounter was with a group of about 5 40-year-old ladyMEN. They had gruff voices and planted themselves right in a strategic location where foreigners have to walk by them closely on the streets. I hated walking by them. They just verbally harrass you everytime, and when you try to ignore them, you can expect a gruff '**** you'. It gets tiring.

But, way fewer than Thailand though. Any tourist area in the Thailand, and at nighttime, the streets are absolutely filled with ladyboys walking around absolutely everywhere. Not so with Manila, but maybe a little less so because Manila gets real sketch at nighttime, and not so many foreigners want to walk around at night either. It feels safer to walk around Bangkok at night.

In Manila, the mothers come out holding naked babies, other mothers come out and strip off the kids so they are naked, and all kinds of pimps and drug pushers hit the streets of Ermita/Malate or Makati, wherever they believe they'll see Foreigners, and go to work trying to separate some money from you. Watch your pockets too, it's not uncommon for the little kids to surround you and reach right into your pockets. Hard to protect when you have a handful of kids that suddenly surround you. What annoyed me most was how many of those mothers sit on the sidewalks playing card games (gambling games) and the moment they see you off a block or two away, they send their kids running your way.

I've long thought that the Manila police needs to protect the tourist areas way more, and have a no soliciting policy and other vagarancy policies enforced. But, usually whenever I've made those suggestions, I've encountered the regular response that the police is too corrupt and the Philippines has no money to enforce anything like that.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
That bad? But it's okay to wander through most of the busy areas during the day, right?

I would say the same would apply to an Asian who obviously looks like a tourist, although it would easier to blend in if you wanted to.
Usually what most people do in Manila, is get into a mall. They have dozens upon dozens upon dozens of malls everywhere. Those are the places to walk around and explore.

You generally try to avoid walking around on the streets as much as possible. I have found some places I could walk around comfortably in Manila though. For example, where the office buildings are located in Makati is good. There are some really weathy areas, where it's also easier to walk around. But places like Ermita/Malate which has a lot of foriegners and hotels, it can be tiring quickly because of the people.

Generally speaking, the malls are super popular for a reason, and I think it's mostly because you have security and a proper place to relax without having to be on the guard all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia