Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in METRO Manila or METRO Kuala Lumpur?
Metro Manila 40 48.78%
Metro Kuala Lumpur 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 10:02 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Just a mere .01 point addition to PH HDI and its already among countries with high human devt. Take for example South Africa which has the same HDI as the Philippines. Visit Johannesburg and it will give you vibe more developed than anywhere else in Malaysia regardless of how wide the inequality there. So hell yeah dont educate me when I say its not MUCH of a difference especially with the ever ballooning debt of truly asia. To each his own.

Yeah a normal visitor notices it right away superficially on the outside but a neighbor and long time keen is more apt and know better whats behind those glittering shimmering aesthetics deep inside.

Sorry to say this but for me Malaysia is the social climber of Southeast Asia. Sorry just my opinion.
Wow, the bold'd is complete bull. Have you actually gone around Jo'burg? Like, not just malls, but actually around the city? You've got to be out of your rocker to say that.

I'll agree with the assessment that Manila is about on par with Jo'burg and the countries overall are about in the same development level and that Malaysia is certainly notably more developed than both.

Good for Malaysia on actually climbing up and doing better for itself. I think a lot of Southeast Asia is doing so, including the Philippines, and the overall outlook for the region seems pretty positive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 11:58 PM

358 posts, read 413,120 times
Quote:
Just a mere .01 point addition to PH HDI and its already among countries with high human devt. Take for example South Africa which has the same HDI as the Philippines. Visit Johannesburg and it will give you vibe more developed than anywhere else in Malaysia regardless of how wide the inequality there. So hell yeah dont educate me when I say its not MUCH of a difference especially with the ever ballooning debt of truly asia. To each his own.

Yeah a normal visitor notices it right away superficially on the outside but a neighbor and long time keen is more apt and know better whats behind those glittering shimmering aesthetics deep inside.

Sorry to say this but for me Malaysia is the social climber of Southeast Asia. Sorry just my opinion.
Philippines is below Malaysia by several positions on each and every social indicator you see. Education , Health , Life Expectancy , Income , poverty etc etc. IDK what are you so defensive about . The Amount of Slums in Manila is something that you won't see in Malaysia.

Its behind by 60 odd positions in terms of development , 4 times much poorer and yet you come off as blind. Philippines. Mercer is one of the most prestigious rankings for quality of life look where he ranked Kl and Manila.

https://www.mercer.com/newsroom/2018...ng-survey.html

Asia-Pacific
Illustrating the region’s great disparity in quality of living, Singapore remains the highest ranking city in 25th place whereas Dhaka ranks 216th. In Southeast Asia, Kuala Lumpur (85) follows Singapore; other key cities include Bangkok (132), Manila (137), and Jakarta (142). Five Japanese cities top the ranking for East Asia: Tokyo (50), Kobe (50), Yokohama (55), Osaka (59), and Nagoya (64). Other notable cities in Asia include Hong Kong (71), Seoul (79), Taipei (84), Shanghai (103), and Beijing (119). City Sanitation rankings also vary considerably across the region with Kobe (8) the highest ranking and Dhaka (230) the lowest.

Again Kl is significantly ahead of Manila by 50 odd positions and the highest ranked city in South East Asia after Singapore.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:01 AM

1,117 posts, read 842,543 times
Manila has a lower quality of life than Singapore, Bangkok, and KL, but a higher quality of life than Jakarta, HCMC, and PP. So it's right in the middle of the pack when it comes to major SEA cities

Old 01-07-2019, 04:06 AM

732 posts, read 780,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raheel12 View Post
Philippines is below Malaysia by several positions on each and every social indicator you see. Education , Health , Life Expectancy , Income , poverty etc etc. IDK what are you so defensive about . The Amount of Slums in Manila is something that you won't see in Malaysia.

Its behind by 60 odd positions in terms of development , 4 times much poorer and yet you come off as blind. Philippines. Mercer is one of the most prestigious rankings for quality of life look where he ranked Kl and Manila.

https://www.mercer.com/newsroom/2018...ng-survey.html

Asia-Pacific
Illustrating the region’s great disparity in quality of living, Singapore remains the highest ranking city in 25th place whereas Dhaka ranks 216th. In Southeast Asia, Kuala Lumpur (85) follows Singapore; other key cities include Bangkok (132), Manila (137), and Jakarta (142). Five Japanese cities top the ranking for East Asia: Tokyo (50), Kobe (50), Yokohama (55), Osaka (59), and Nagoya (64). Other notable cities in Asia include Hong Kong (71), Seoul (79), Taipei (84), Shanghai (103), and Beijing (119). City Sanitation rankings also vary considerably across the region with Kobe (8) the highest ranking and Dhaka (230) the lowest.

Again Kl is significantly ahead of Manila by 50 odd positions and the highest ranked city in South East Asia after Singapore.
No matter how long your narrative is, just a breath away Philippines will be reaching the upper middle income status very soon, same bracket as Malaysia have today. After so many formulation and quick shortcuts such as increasing your debt ceiling, controlling your population, inreasing warmongering with your neighbors supporting terrorism youre still struck in the middle income trap. So again let me reiterate, youre not that MUCH richer yet in my book. Deal with it as it is imo.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Wow, the bold'd is complete bull. Have you actually gone around Jo'burg? Like, not just malls, but actually around the city? You've got to be out of your rocker to say that.

I'll agree with the assessment that Manila is about on par with Jo'burg and the countries overall are about in the same development level and that Malaysia is certainly notably more developed than both.

Good for Malaysia on actually climbing up and doing better for itself. I think a lot of Southeast Asia is doing so, including the Philippines, and the overall outlook for the region seems pretty positive!
Im actually probably switching them out and seems confused about their economic and cultural importance and was referring to Cape Town rather than Johannesburg. Have a great day!

Old 01-07-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
Manila has a lower quality of life than Singapore, Bangkok, and KL, but a higher quality of life than Jakarta, HCMC, and PP. So it's right in the middle of the pack when it comes to major SEA cities
Manila and Jakarta are about even overall. Indonesia and the Philippines are basically the middle in SEA and so that’s likely why that Manila vs Jakarta topic is as contentious as it is.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:27 PM

1,117 posts, read 842,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Manila and Jakarta are about even overall. Indonesia and the Philippines are basically the middle in SEA and so that’s likely why that Manila vs Jakarta topic is as contentious as it is.
Well according to the Mercer ranking, Manila is 5 rankings ahead of Jakarta. Just like Bangkok is 5 ahead of Manila. So if Bangkok and Manila arent equal then neither are Jakarta and Manila

Old 01-07-2019, 03:03 PM

358 posts, read 413,120 times
Quote:
No matter how long your narrative is, just a breath away Philippines will be reaching the upper middle income status very soon, same bracket as Malaysia have today. After so many formulation and quick shortcuts such as increasing your debt ceiling, controlling your population, inreasing warmongering with your neighbors supporting terrorism youre still struck in the middle income trap. So again let me reiterate, youre not that MUCH richer yet in my book. Deal with it as it is imo.
I am a neutral here but I have been to both countries and Philippines is nowhere near Malaysia in anyway. Yes I am sure Malaysia is stressed because each person is richer by 4x. It's not just being about richer . You are behind in Education , Health Indicators , Income , Governance , Corruption , Infrastructure etc etc. Malaysian Passport is ranked in the top 10 for visa free access . Where exactly does Filipino passport rank ?

You are a blind nationalist you can't accept facts and figures and who's judgement is clouded just because you happen to be a Filipino.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
Well according to the Mercer ranking, Manila is 5 rankings ahead of Jakarta. Just like Bangkok is 5 ahead of Manila. So if Bangkok and Manila arent equal then neither are Jakarta and Manila
No, I don’t think that’s reasonable. Another poster had used raw ordinal numbers in a ranking to determine the difference between Malaysia and the Philippines along HDI, but I’m not that poster. The difference in placement of a ranking isn’t by itself useful for anything by itself, but rather the more quantitice differences between those placings. Those quantitive differences can be huge or small even if the ordinal placement puts it at equivalent. Additinally, the Mercer rankings are among a basket of parameters that are set, and if other attempts at an overall ranking puts Jakarta above or closer than Bangkok to Manila, then it makes sense to fold that in.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raheel12 View Post
I am a neutral here but I have been to both countries and Philippines is nowhere near Malaysia in anyway. Yes I am sure Malaysia is stressed because each person is richer by 4x. It's not just being about richer . You are behind in Education , Health Indicators , Income , Governance , Corruption , Infrastructure etc etc. Malaysian Passport is ranked in the top 10 for visa free access . Where exactly does Filipino passport rank ?

You are a blind nationalist you can't accept facts and figures and who's judgement is clouded just because you happen to be a Filipino.
Wow nowhere near what a big word!! Did anyone said Phils is ahead of Malaysia? None. I only said its not that much richer and considering the other factors I pointed out you are standing too as a blind observer who is clouded mesmerized and smitten by the aesthetics rather than what is behind those figures.

Poland is probably poorer than Malaysia or about the same but why they have higher passport index than Malaysia? And Malaysias passport index is higher than Lichenstein, Monaco and other wealthier nations but does that make Malaysia wealthier than these developed nations?

Its your prerogative not mine. Doesnt mean you have your opinion and I have mine makes your more correct than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia