Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 03:50 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromrese View Post
Do most Americans like or dislike Filipino and Southeast Asians women and culture?
I think some Western men, particularly Americans, take advantage of women from these nations.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:38 PM

163 posts, read 273,355 times
Quote:
Do most Americans like or dislike Filipino and Southeast Asians women and culture?
Most educated Americans do not "like"or "dislike" people based on their race.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:21 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think some Western men, particularly Americans, take advantage of women from these nations.
Just like some Asian women take advantage of Western men.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:29 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,505 times
Americans viewed Southeast asians as "cheap", but still many whites fell into the trap and end up losing their money to these "cheap" creatures and to me that is stupidity.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:57 AM

282 posts, read 708,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Just like some Asian women take advantage of Western men.
Ha ha ha ha..

Old 09-16-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Americans viewed Southeast asians as "cheap", but still many whites fell into the trap and end up losing their money to these "cheap" creatures and to me that is stupidity.
Would it be "exotic" sir kent?

Old 09-16-2014, 11:08 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Quote:
Surprising question. I think Americans have a very positive view of SE Asia. We see it as a place of beauty, fascination, and great cultural diversity. How can one not? However, we also see it with a tinge of sadness and guilt. The Vietnam War, the boat lift, the Killing Fields, the growth of prostitution, Burma and Aung San Suu Kyi and more recently the Great Tsunami. More recently, I think of outsourcing, tourism, and overpopulation.

Of the culture in particular, I think religion comes to mind: Buddhism, Catholicism, and Islam. It is a place that really can teach the world about coexistence.

As far as the women, I think the images that come to mind are family, smiles, religion, modesty, femininity, and hard working.

S.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:39 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,677 times
I've been affiliated with Filipinos since I was 19 years old and have visited the Philippines both as a US Serviceman and more recently, as a tourist.

Filipinos are most definitely a positive contribution to the US in terms of familial unity, hospitality, hard work, academic ambition, etc.

In my experience, most Filipinos speak English rather well and do their best to become part of mainstream USA. They're model citizens which other groups should try to exemplify.

To all Filipinos who have the aforementioned qualities, to you say I . . . Maraming, maraming Salamat!

Old 09-17-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I've been affiliated with Filipinos since I was 19 years old and have visited the Philippines both as a US Serviceman and more recently, as a tourist.

Filipinos are most definitely a positive contribution to the US in terms of familial unity, hospitality, hard work, academic ambition, etc.

In my experience, most Filipinos speak English rather well and do their best to become part of mainstream USA. They're model citizens which other groups should try to exemplify.

To all Filipinos who have the aforementioned qualities, to you say I . . . Maraming, maraming Salamat!

Hats off to you sir

Wishing for more Loida Nicolas Lewis, Ben Cayetano, Tony Taguba, Cristeta Pasia Comerford, Dado Banatao among other Fil Am in the U.S.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:34 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

Well appreciated sir!

I just wish that the perception remains even until today. There are about 3M Filipinos in the US but very few are ambitious. I've known some Filipino families in the US who are still struggling for living and very few send their kids to Ivy League schools. Very few Filipinos (numbers are neglible) in the US who do excel in Science and Technology, Academe, Politics, Entertainment and Sports.

I'll be moving to the US next month for a permanent job (I was handpicked to transfer to our US affiliate). I am actually contented with my career in Singapore, or I can set-up a business in Manila but I prefer to go to the US not because of career move but more on giving my kids better education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia