Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jakarta VS Bangkok VS Manila
Jakarta 14 15.38%
Bangkok 53 58.24%
Manila 24 26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 08:49 AM

37,379 posts, read 39,809,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
Do in Asean cities have HSR except Jakarta?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIVkbDyNAW4

Jakarta MRT is always busy and full of passengers at any given time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69pJtJLbo4E

Rank transport systems around Southeast Asia

https://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq...outheast-asia/
I'm pretty sure Jakarta-Bandung will be the only fully HSR service in Southeast Asia when it opens later this year with the only other HSR service being the Boten-Vientiane line in Laos which is more properly referred to as higher-speed rail. I think the line is fantastic and I hope it soon expands eastwards through all of Java.

Yes, high frequency, high capacity lines like the Jakarta MRT can move a lot of people. How busy it is is can vary by time of day, but it can also be a sign that the city is under-serviced by high frequency, high capacity lines. The Jakarta MRT's single line is pretty much the only one within the city as other services are light metro, commuter rail, or bus services. Bangkok in contrast has several lengthy high frequency, high capacity lines.

That ranking you posted was from 2016-2017 and basically put Indonesia and Thailand as tied. I'm not sure I'd agree that was true at the time, but in regards to Jakarta and Thailand, it's definitely not true now. In the several years since 2016-2017, Bangkok has opened a lot of extensions and new rail lines and these are mostly high frequency, high capacity rapid transit lines. Remember, this is more of these high frequency, high capacity rapid transit lines covering larger distances in a city that's much, *much* less populous. I think at this point Bangkok is very clearly the more developed city and with more extensive transit infrastructure. I think the only major change in rankings coming among Southeast Asian megacities is that Kuala Lumpur will probably reach 10 million people pretty soon and be a megacity and that will likely be some fierce competition for Bangkok.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-13-2023 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 07:07 PM

1,004 posts, read 919,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm pretty sure Jakarta-Bandung will be the only fully HSR service in Southeast Asia when it opens later this year with the only other HSR service being the Boten-Vientiane line in Laos which is more properly referred to as higher-speed rail. I think the line is fantastic and I hope it soon expands eastwards through all of Java.

Yes, high frequency, high capacity lines like the Jakarta MRT can move a lot of people. How busy it is is can vary by time of day, but it can also be a sign that the city is under-serviced by high frequency, high capacity lines. The Jakarta MRT's single line is pretty much the only one within the city as other services are light metro, commuter rail, or bus services. Bangkok in contrast has several lengthy high frequency, high capacity lines.

That ranking you posted was from 2016-2017 and basically put Indonesia and Thailand as tied. I'm not sure I'd agree that was true at the time, but in regards to Jakarta and Thailand, it's definitely not true now. In the several years since 2016-2017, Bangkok has opened a lot of extensions and new rail lines and these are mostly high frequency, high capacity rapid transit lines. Remember, this is more of these high frequency, high capacity rapid transit lines covering larger distances in a city that's much, *much* less populous. I think at this point Bangkok is very clearly the more developed city and with more extensive transit infrastructure. I think the only major change in rankings coming among Southeast Asian megacities is that Kuala Lumpur will probably reach 10 million people pretty soon and be a megacity and that will likely be some fierce competition for Bangkok.
this is China's ambitious Project, the first train with a speed of 350 KM - 400 KM and compared to HSR Laos is Semi not fast so the shape of the train is also different . Indonesia dares to take the risk even though this Project is very Expensive than we are countries that don't have it at all and is very profitable for transportation between provincial cities. yeah Cities in Southeast Asia, including Bangkok will build high-speed trains but is are Semi-fast trains with low speeds of 220 KM and different with HSR Jakarta-Bandung is speeds of 350 Km - 400 KM

the latest ranking is released Public Transport the best is Jakarta slightly better than Bangkok

Old 09-13-2023, 11:19 PM

Quote:
this is China's ambitious Project, the first train with a speed of 350 KM - 400 KM and compared to HSR Laos is Semi not fast so the shape of the train is also different . Indonesia dares to take the risk even though this Project is very Expensive than we are countries that don't have it at all and is very profitable for transportation between provincial cities. yeah Cities in Southeast Asia, including Bangkok will build high-speed trains but is are Semi-fast trains with low speeds of 220 KM and different with HSR Jakarta-Bandung is speeds of 350 Km - 400 KM

the latest ranking is released Public Transport the best is Jakarta slightly better than Bangkok
Yea, it's very ambitious and it's great as the elongated shape of Java makes this a very sensible move. Thailand supposedly has true HSR plans on the docket, but there's little telling when they'll come to fruition.

The latest ranking is from when though? You cited a link from 2016-2017. It's 2023 now and with a lot more high capacity, high frequency rapid transit having opened in Bangkok compared to Jakarta and Manila. Is there a newer one you're referencing now?

Old 09-15-2023, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Yea, it's very ambitious and it's great as the elongated shape of Java makes this a very sensible move. Thailand supposedly has true HSR plans on the docket, but there's little telling when they'll come to fruition.

The latest ranking is from when though? You cited a link from 2016-2017. It's 2023 now and with a lot more high capacity, high frequency rapid transit having opened in Bangkok compared to Jakarta and Manila. Is there a newer one you're referencing now?
here Rank Public Transportation 2023 , Jakarta is still above Bangkok

https://rankingroyals.com/infographi...top-60-cities/

Jakarta Transportation Public still far above Manila .. Manila transportation cannot be compared with Jakarta

Old 09-15-2023, 01:02 AM

compare Manila LRT and Jakarta LRT , how do you see from the infrastructure , whether Manila LRT is the best or the Jakarta LRT the best , let's judge

LRT Manila

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUitsszSAHI

LRT Bekasi -Jakarta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrCJ_QtQV4

Old 09-15-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
here Rank Public Transportation 2023 , Jakarta is still above Bangkok

https://rankingroyals.com/infographi...top-60-cities/

Jakarta Transportation Public still far above Manila .. Manila transportation cannot be compared with Jakarta
Holy crap that ranking is odd. San Francisco at number 16 for transit above Madrid and Barcelona? Helsinki above Paris and Berlin? Jakarta above Bangkok? Their rankings aren't really sensible.

I looked at their methodology and they generally obscure it except to say:

Quote:
Measures cities on public transit density, efficiency, and utilization rate and the extent to which they can adapt to address competition from emerging mobility services
That last part seems to be weighted heavily and is pretty divorced from what makes public transit effective and useful.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-15-2023 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-16-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Holy crap that ranking is odd. San Francisco at number 16 for transit above Madrid and Barcelona? Helsinki above Paris and Berlin? Jakarta above Bangkok? Their rankings aren't really sensible.

I looked at their methodology and they generally obscure it except to say:

That last part seems to be weighted heavily and is pretty divorced from what makes public transit effective and useful.
I'm also confused that Delhi can be above Jakarta and Bangkok even though the transportation there is still shabby, let alone the infrastructure is still underdeveloped. that Malaysia is very far above Jakarta and Bangkok we belive because transportation in Malaysia is very good. rank that's the reality.. look at the list rankings 1 - 15 of all from developed countries

Old 09-17-2023, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I'm also confused that Delhi can be above Jakarta and Bangkok even though the transportation there is still shabby, let alone the infrastructure is still underdeveloped. that Malaysia is very far above Jakarta and Bangkok we belive because transportation in Malaysia is very good. rank that's the reality.. look at the list rankings 1 - 15 of all from developed countries
Delhi makes sense because of the even faster than Bangkok's expansion of rapid transit. Delhi Metro is at 391 km of track, 12 lines, and 287 stations for rapid transit with a good chunk of it having opened over the last decade. For reference, rapid transit in Bangkok is about half that and Jakarta is at about a tenth of that and meanwhile Delhi has a commuter rail network that's maybe on par with that of Jakarta and better than that of Bangkok.

The developed countries are why I think this list is bunk because US is a notable outlier among developed countries for public transit, and there is no way Helsinki's mass transit system is better than that of Paris, Berlin, or Tokyo even on a per capita adjustment level.

Old 09-21-2023, 12:53 AM

18 posts, read 9,240 times
Of the three cities, I would choose Manila due to some key advantages. The warmth and welcoming nature of the Filipino people make it easy to settle in. Having beautiful beach resorts nearby provides convenient getaway options. Additionally, the cultural influence of the United States ensures that English is widely spoken throughout Manila.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.miller View Post
Of the three cities, I would choose Manila due to some key advantages. The warmth and welcoming nature of the Filipino people make it easy to settle in. Having beautiful beach resorts nearby provides convenient getaway options. Additionally, the cultural influence of the United States ensures that English is widely spoken throughout Manila.
Yea, I do think Filipinos from my experience have been very warm people. I feel that way about Thai people as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia