Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jakarta VS Bangkok VS Manila
Jakarta 14 15.38%
Bangkok 53 58.24%
Manila 24 26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 12:13 AM

1,002 posts, read 912,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
Even 8 to 10 million is still only around 3% of the population. It's nothing compared to Thailand.

If we're counting all Filipinos mixed with a significant amount of Chinese, it could be 25% of the population based on some estimates I saw. But the ethnic Chinese who speak the languages and keep their culture are around 1% of the population. But even most of those Chinese are mostly Catholics and relatively integrated into Filipino society. Chinese in Indonesia are not as integrated because most of them aren't Muslims. And there were anti-Chinese riots are recently as 1997. And look what happened to Ahok...
25% really ?? but the common face of the Filipinos doesn't look like mixed blood Chinese
true is only Vietnamese mixed with Chinese blood or have Chinese Looking compared with other South East Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 12:16 AM

1,117 posts, read 846,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
25% really ?? but the common face of the Filipinos doesn't look like mixed blood Chinese
true is only Vietnamese mixed with Chinese blood or have Chinese Looking compared with other South East Asian.

If 25% of the population is mixed with Chinese, then the common face won't look Chinese. 25% is a minority

Old 02-03-2021, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, that's true though my experience is that not only is the chinatown better but neighborhoods in Bangkok in general seem better most of the time. I can't say that the street food I've had in Manila ever really quite good to a level that I thought was really good and the best thing I had in Manila were some very good mangosteens. I also like that Thai people have a lot of fairly unassuming neighborhoods that both pretty wealthy and more working class people live in and that there was pretty much never a part of town that was just considered straight dicey for people to travel in. Really, the greatest risk in Bangkok seems just to be the traffic, but it's not like traffic and safe driving was particularly notable in Manila. I think you also see this reflected somewhat in various larger composite stats for the countries. For example, Thailand scores substantially higher on the HDI composite score than Indonesia or the Philippines which are pretty close to each other. However, not only does Thailand have a substantially higher overall score, but it also doesn't seem to have as flagrant inequality in regards to poverty and wealth which is also reflected in the inequality-adjusted HDI where not only does Thailand score higher, but also sees a smaller % drop from HDI to inequality-adjusted HDI. It really does seem like Bangkok is in a very different tier from Manila and Jakarta and that's pretty apparent throughout this topic as many posters have pointed to some pretty glaring flaws of both cities and often pretty viciously. The good news is that almost all Southeast Asian countries seem to be overall improving and I think by the end of this decade there's a good chance that a few more SEA countries join Singapore, Brunei and Malaysia in the very high human development category.

Yes, Manila has very bad areas, but it also has very nice areas. Even Bangkok's nicest areas still have hanging wires everywhere, look gritty, and not really nice

Look at Makati CBD. It's mostly old buildings, but nowhere in Bangkok looks similar to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qMMjYIbje4

You can't really tell in the video, but Makati has tons of hole in the wall restaurants, neighborhoods full of apartments and condos, parks, etc. It's not just a business area.

And nowhere in Bangkok can touch BGC either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jFT2V1fr7g

This was during the strictest lockdown, but normally it's full of people walking around. BGC is also more than business. There are so many restaurants on the street level, and outdoor dining. Lots of parks, huge murals on buildings, outdoor sculptures. International schools, museums, etc.

So yes, Manila has some of the worse urban areas in Southeast Asia, but it also has some of the best, most compact/walkable but still clean urban districts too.

Btw, Pasig River has a ferry now and has 12 stations. They keep adding more and expanding the network

Old 02-03-2021, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Even 8 to 10 million is still only around 3% of the population. It's nothing compared to Thailand.

the count of the Chinese population in Indonesia is in a place like I mentioned above "West Kalimantan, Jakarta, Singkawang, Bangka" as an example in Jakarta almost everywhere we can find them, so there is a display of East Asian features that are quite high in Jakarta this is also similar to Bangkok and KL compared to in Manila . even Chinese descent in Manila is almost depleted of their population ..is it because very few

Old 02-03-2021, 04:44 AM

Quote:
^ Thailand is 14% Chinese compared to 1% Chinese in Indonesia and the Philippines. Those numbers are just official ethnic Chinese and don't count Chinese admixture. But still, Thailand is much more Chinese- so I would expect it to have a better Chinatown.

yeah, We are Indonesian are grateful that there are outsiders different race who still call Indonesians instead of their home country this mean called their nationalism is strong to Indonesia is different from Chinese in Malaysia or Thailand who call themselves Chinese so that in the population census their population is quite large

Singkawang is one of the places in Indonesia with a large Chinese mostly population of Hakka descent the majority of their livelihood is farming this is different from chinese/tionghoa in Jakarta and other areas in Indo who work as businessmen and traders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DX2ttP1XkY

Old 02-03-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, that's true though my experience is that not only is the chinatown better but neighborhoods in Bangkok in general seem better most of the time. I can't say that the street food I've had in Manila ever really quite good to a level that I thought was really good and the best thing I had in Manila were some very good mangosteens. I also like that Thai people have a lot of fairly unassuming neighborhoods that both pretty wealthy and more working class people live in and that there was pretty much never a part of town that was just considered straight dicey for people to travel in. Really, the greatest risk in Bangkok seems just to be the traffic, but it's not like traffic and safe driving was particularly notable in Manila. I think you also see this reflected somewhat in various larger composite stats for the countries. For example, Thailand scores substantially higher on the HDI composite score than Indonesia or the Philippines which are pretty close to each other. However, not only does Thailand have a substantially higher overall score, but it also doesn't seem to have as flagrant inequality in regards to poverty and wealth which is also reflected in the inequality-adjusted HDI where not only does Thailand score higher, but also sees a smaller % drop from HDI to inequality-adjusted HDI. It really does seem like Bangkok is in a very different tier from Manila and Jakarta and that's pretty apparent throughout this topic as many posters have pointed to some pretty glaring flaws of both cities and often pretty viciously. The good news is that almost all Southeast Asian countries seem to be overall improving and I think by the end of this decade there's a good chance that a few more SEA countries join Singapore, Brunei and Malaysia in the very high human development category.
yeah, Bangkok looks nice more from Jakarta is because many tourism, shopping, culture but but Jakarta has advantages is an ultramodern city , the best transportation system

Old 02-03-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
yeah, We are Indonesian are grateful that there are outsiders different race who still call Indonesians instead of their home country this mean called their nationalism is strong to Indonesia is different from Chinese in Malaysia or Thailand who call themselves Chinese so that in the population census their population is quite large

Singkawang is one of the places in Indonesia with a large Chinese mostly population of Hakka descent the majority of their livelihood is farming this is different from chinese/tionghoa in Jakarta and other areas in Indo who work as businessmen and traders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DX2ttP1XkY
Sorry but nobody believes Indonesia has more Chinese-descent than the Philippines. Indonesia has had massacres against all racial minorities including the Chinese as recently as 1998. The Dutch were also massacred and kicked out. Now the Papuans. The Philippines only ever had these types of incidents during the Spanish period- because the Spanish were paranoid about the Chinese. But ever since then, the Chinese have been coming to the Philippines and assimilating to society. Notice how most of them become Catholics. They still keep a lot of their Chinese traditions and beliefs, but they blend them with Catholicism.

So In Binondo and other Chinese areas, you can find street shrines like this one. Where they have Catholic elements mixed with Chinese elements. You always see people stopping to prayer here and lighting incense

https://youtu.be/TrXY99oh0eI

So that’s how Chinese have integrated into Filipino society but also kept their culture at the same time. On the other hand, very few Chinese in Indonesia convert to Islam. Which is why they’re persecuted and not fully assimilated. I mean look at what happened to Ahok. That’s more anti-Chinese backlash, and that was recent

Old 02-03-2021, 11:59 AM

37,272 posts, read 39,575,928 times
Quote:
yeah, Bangkok looks nice more from Jakarta is because many tourism, shopping, culture but but Jakarta has advantages is an ultramodern city , the best transportation system

I may be wrong, but I think the transit system in Bangkok actually has more rail stations and lines than Jakarta does.

Bangkok's main mass transit rail systems would be:

Greater Bangkok Commuter Rail System 5 lines, 387 miles of track
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greate..._Commuter_rail

SRT Red Lines (also commuter rail) just opened supposedly 58 stations, 86 miles of track

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRT_Red_Lines

BTS Skytrain 63 stations, 42 miles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTS_Skytrain

MRT 53 stations, 43 miles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRT_(Bangkok)

Airport Rail Link, 8 stations, 17 miles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airpor..._Link_(Bangkok)

I got lazy and should have put in more stats for these as obviously number of stations and number of miles doesn't really tell you all that much, but those stats weren't all quickly accessible for me. I'm also not including regional/national rail lines because that isn't really Bangkok as it is just Thailand in general.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Sorry but nobody believes Indonesia has more Chinese-descent than the Philippines. Indonesia has had massacres against all racial minorities including the Chinese as recently as 1998. The Dutch were also massacred and kicked out. Now the Papuans. The Philippines only ever had these types of incidents during the Spanish period- because the Spanish were paranoid about the Chinese. But ever since then, the Chinese have been coming to the Philippines and assimilating to society. Notice how most of them become Catholics. They still keep a lot of their Chinese traditions and beliefs, but they blend them with Catholicism.
Indonesia is a country with the largest ethnic Chinese population in the world living outside China and population data has decreased in the census to 1% and I have explained that in my previous comments because in BPS data it is almost common for Chinese in Indonesia to call themselves Indonesian based on the ethnic in which they live. Pure Chinese Indonesian population without a mixture of estimate approximately 10 - 12 million maybe even more than that

even in Indonesia there is also a very large mixed blood between native and chinese Indonesia with various ethnicities in Indonesia. simply because in Indonesia and not really care about the number of mixed descent as is usually done in the Philippines

The Philippines has a small chinese population, a small thing like in china Town almost all Filipinos and and rarely find an east asian lookin in Manila or other this is different from what happened in Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia

Old 02-03-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Indonesia is a country with the largest ethnic Chinese population in the world living outside China and population data has decreased in the census to 1% and I have explained that in my previous comments because in BPS data it is almost common for Chinese in Indonesia to call themselves Indonesian based on the ethnic in which they live. Pure Chinese Indonesian population without a mixture of estimate approximately 10 - 12 million maybe even more than that

even in Indonesia there is also a very large mixed blood between native and chinese Indonesia with various ethnicities in Indonesia. simply because in Indonesia and not really care about the number of mixed descent as is usually done in the Philippines

The Philippines has a small chinese population, a small thing like in china Town almost all Filipinos and and rarely find an east asian lookin in Manila or other this is different from what happened in Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia
Yeah no. Indonesia doesn’t have a great history of caring about its racial /religious minorities. Chinese-Indonesians are still discriminated against. Nothing like the Ahok situation has happened in the Philippines.

The Philippines census doesn’t even ask about race or ethnicity. It only asks about language. So that’s where the low estimates of Chinese-Filipinos are coning from. Those that speak Hokkien are considered Chinese. If they speak Tagalog, Visayan, etc like most Chinese do, then they’re those ethnic groups on the census. Manila Chinatown is not where most Chinese live. They mostly moved to San Juan, Quezon City, Pasig, etc etc. And lots of them also live outside of Manila. It’s like saying most Spanish live in Intramuros. Yeah right. Almost everyone with wealth (Chinese and Spanish) moved to the newer cities in Metro Manila.

There are 100+ Chinese schools in the Philippines, in all parts of the country

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...he_Philippines

These are probate schools where ethnic Chinese send their kids to maintain their culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia