Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jakarta VS Bangkok VS Manila
Jakarta 14 15.38%
Bangkok 53 58.24%
Manila 24 26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 08:49 PM

1,002 posts, read 906,117 times

Advertisements

most Skyscrapers in Manila and Bangkok always remind me of skyscrapers in Jakarta in the 1990s, I've also been to Bangkok the difference with Jakarta is that most skyscrapers Bangkok has a lot of unmodern skyscrapers like Jakarta mostly skyscrapers in BKK old and box type. but the advantage of Bangkok is that the tourism is stunning but not a business place like the one in Jakarta,That's why Bangkok doesn't have as many Elite Skyscrapers like Jakarta

Bangkok and Manila

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOTc3RYuzmA

here Jakarta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4cYlVoRKA4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 11:57 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Bangkok is one of the very few 3W cities I like, and in fact I like it even better than the rest of Thailand. And Manila is the worst city in the world, possible except Cairo. I've used up a 60-day Indonesia visa without seeing Java, but Jakarta would, I suppose, be in between.

Old 09-06-2022, 12:38 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Bangkok is one of the very few 3W cities I like, and in fact I like it even better than the rest of Thailand. And Manila is the worst city in the world, possible except Cairo. I've used up a 60-day Indonesia visa without seeing Java, but Jakarta would, I suppose, be in between.
I have also yet to go to the island of Java. My mom went there about a decade ago and was really impressed by its level of greenery. Said that it easily surpassed that of Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur.

Old 09-06-2022, 11:47 PM

1,117 posts, read 841,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post

On both major quality of life indexes for world cities, Mercer's Quality of Living Index and the Economist Liveability Index, Jakarta is ranked worse than Manila. Most of Jakarta is sinking because half the population doesn't even half piped water, so they drill for it, which makes the ground sink. Yeah, sounds like a real world-class city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3UomZkVgAo

It's actually the fastest-sinking city on earth, and it's mostly their own fault (not building piped water).

Meanwhile, around 90% of Manila has piped water, and most of the city is not sinking.

And I would agree that Manila city itself is not a nice city. It was mostly destroyed and forgotten after WW2. But you can have a good quality of life in other parts of Metro Manila like Makati, BGC, Pasig, large parts of Quezon City, Mandluyong, Marikina, Paranaque, Alabang, etc.

Makati- It's not all nice, but the nice parts are very nice and it covers a big area. The video mostly shows the financial area, but there are also plenty of residential apartment neighborhoods with parks, restaurants, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqOV9mQmTm0

BGC- another large, nice area. It's also one of the most easily walkable urban areas in SEA. This was filmed during one of the high points of the pandemic, which is why it looks so dead. But usually the place is packed with pedestrians, especially in the evening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMP4MbzmLms

Old 10-13-2022, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
BGC- another large, nice area. It's also one of the most easily walkable urban areas in SEA. This was filmed during one of the high points of the pandemic, which is why it looks so dead. But usually the place is packed with pedestrians, especially in the evening
the same person visited the business center of Jakarta and Manila, the first impression he saw, it was predictable that Jakarta's business district was more modern and the man said like in western countries, yeah Jakarta's SCBD area has a NY vibe that can't be fooled from the modern building structure and all glassy,tall buildings. and i saw this guy to BGC Manila he admire BGC Business area but not like when he was in SCBD . So let's take the point that Jakarta wins for infrastructure and skyscrapers and Manila wins in walkable

SCBD and Sudirman Thamrin Jakarta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IiS1wHW6MQ

BGC Manila

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtADpn36BQg

Old 09-11-2023, 12:44 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Bangkok's Pink Line monorail has been pushed back to a December opening date which isn't too bad of a delay. Monorail is a pretty interesting choice, though I guess it makes sense given the land Bangkok was built on. This would roughly coincide with the opening of the Orange Line. It's odd, because the MRT system was supposedly meant to be underground while the other rapid transit rail system, BTS, was to be above ground, but the Pink Line is under MRT.

Regardless, it seems like Bangkok is on a tear when it comes to mass transit construction in comparison to Jakarta and Manila, and it seems like the gap is growing rather than shrinking. Bangkok does seem like it's firmly cementing its place as the preeminent megacity in Southeast Asia while Jakarta and Manila are on a roughly similar tier below. Separately, and not part of this topic, Ho Chi Minh City is about to pass the megacity threshold if it hasn't already and will be launching its first rapid transit line later this year. Kuala Lumpur is arguably even more developed than any of the three mentioned in this topic, but it's not at megacity population levels yet. It'll be interesting to see once all five of these are Southeast Asian megacities, where they'd place. I'd reckon at that point it'd probably be Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok in one tier, and then Ho Chi Minh City, Jakarta, and Manila at a next tier below.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagpag-Bone View Post
on ASEAN Train system development progress
Its easy to develop small land area and only focusing 1 city to build infrastructure

Meanwhile Indonesia have different approach
big archipelago country able to spread the train development other part of island, not like Bangkok centric

Indonesia even the 1st in region have LRT in secondary city, outside Java island

Sulawesi island near Mindanao Philippines have train system. Mindanao laughable infrastructure progress, compare Sulawesi

Bali will get the 7th airport train, even u cant find it on Phuket development plan

And the most interesting here, that video i show u all train build locally by INKA Indonesia

This topic was about the three Southeast Asian megacities, not the countries. None of the cities you mentioned have anything close to what Bangkok currently has and what Bangkok has under construction. Moreover, it does make sense that there'd be fewer systems in place for a country that is much smaller and less populous, so that's not a meaningful criticism. I suppose Indonesia could be broken into multiple other countries, but the topic was specifically about these three Southeast Asian megacities. It'll be even more interesting in a few years when there are five Southeast Asian megacities as Ho Chi Minh City and Kuala Lumpur also become megacities as well.

Quote:
No match Jakarta BRT compare Thailand or Pinoy Jeepney!

BRT when done well can be pretty good, but it has nowhere near the same kind of capacity as rapid transit rail systems.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-11-2023 at 09:36 PM..

Old 09-12-2023, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Bangkok's Pink Line monorail has been pushed back to a December opening date which isn't too bad of a delay. Monorail is a pretty interesting choice, though I guess it makes sense given the land Bangkok was built on. This would roughly coincide with the opening of the Orange Line. It's odd, because the MRT system was supposedly meant to be underground while the other rapid transit rail system, BTS, was to be above ground, but the Pink Line is under MRT.

Regardless, it seems like Bangkok is on a tear when it comes to mass transit construction in comparison to Jakarta and Manila, and it seems like the gap is growing rather than shrinking. Bangkok does seem like it's firmly cementing its place as the preeminent megacity in Southeast Asia while Jakarta and Manila are on a roughly similar tier below. Separately, and not part of this topic, Ho Chi Minh City is about to pass the megacity threshold if it hasn't already and will be launching its first rapid transit line later this year. Kuala Lumpur is arguably even more developed than any of the three mentioned in this topic, but it's not at megacity population levels yet. It'll be interesting to see once all five of these are Southeast Asian megacities, where they'd place. I'd reckon at that point it'd probably be Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok in one tier, and then Ho Chi Minh City, Jakarta, and Manila at a next tier below.
Your comment is wrong, Jakarta is a city that is developing rapidly at the moment and Bangkok is below Jakarta then Manila and Ho Chi Minh are catching up from behind

Old 09-12-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
Your comment is wrong, Jakarta is a city that is developing rapidly at the moment and Bangkok is below Jakarta then Manila and Ho Chi Minh are catching up from behind
Jakarta MRT is solid high frequency, high capacity rapid transit, but it's quite small at one line and thirteen stations. The Jakarta LRT is also quite small at a single line and does not have very high capacity. The Greater Jakarta LRT system just expanded and is at two lines, but it, too, is not very high capacity. KAI also has two LRT lines that run as light metro so that's good, but again not very high capacity. KRL Commuterline is pretty good at 5 lines and has good capacity and *some* of it operates like MRT/rapid transit, so that's solid, but terminating instead of through-running in the city core is not an ideal operation.

Bangkok in contrast has five (arguably eight) lines that are high capacity and frequent with some of the lengths of lines quite long, lots of interconnections, through-running on some of them through the city center and all within a much less populous metropolitan area. For example, the longest Bangkok rapid transit line is the Sukhumvit line at 54.25 km and 47 stations and runs through the center of the city out to northern and southern reaches. In contrast, the only truly dedicated rapid transit line in Jakarta is the Jakarta MRT North-South line which is 15.7km and 13 stations which is about comparable to Bangkok's two shortest rapid transit lines.

Jakarta is a rapidly developing city, but I don't think it has anywhere close to the same level of transit service as Bangkok has even though the sheer number of lines is pretty comparable, because it does matter what those lines entail and how they operate.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-12-2023 at 12:14 PM..

Old 09-12-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Trans Jakarta BRT 1.006.000/daily
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransJakarta

Bangkok BTS 747,325/daily

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTS_Skytrain
Bangkok MRT 470,000/daily
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRT_(Bangkok)

Not that bad for less tourist hotspot Jakarta
The metropolitan area population of Jakarta is 33 million. That of Bangkok is about 15 million, so Jakarta is about double the population. Since that ridership number you posted for BTS, BTS has added 19 km and 16 stations along its two rapid transit line (and a people mover). They essentially added more than the equivalent a Jakarta MRT line in the last few years to just one of the systems. Bangkok MRT extended a line 11 km and 9 stations as well as additional other rapid transit line with 30.4 km and 23 stations since those ridership numbers you've posted.

I think overall Bangkok is well ahead, but if you want to consider other factors like the people around it (such as tourists but overwhelmingly more so the residential population), Bangkok is much further ahead on account of being much smaller and less populous. This gap is increasing with the Pink Line and Orange Line purported to open within a year and multiple extensions to existing lines. I think the question would be if it will remain ahead or will something like continued and aggravated political turmoil slow it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia