Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 08:31 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
That leaves South Korea and Singapore as the obvious minions of US in Asia left I suppose.
A minion of the US? Clearly a thread started by someone that doesn't know much about things. Probably listened to too much Duterte propaganda. It's called being allies.

If the Filipinos let the country turn into, and/or be controlled by a communist country under the completely insane dictator Duterte. I guarantee you at least half of it's population will be swimming to the U.S., or die trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

Forget the US. What amazes me, being to Asia and talking to the locals, is how many of these countries distrust it's neighboring countries.
I imagine they trust Thailand for one example, but are you serious? Does anyone in their right mind trust China or North Korea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 08:42 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I imagine they trust Thailand for one example, but are you serious? Does anyone in their right mind trust China or North Korea?
In terms of the South China Sea it's almost like China vs. all of the rest of South East Asia.

But I wasn't talking PRC or DPRK. I was more talking in terms of Thailand vs. Malaysia, Cambodia vs. Vietnam, Malaysia vs. Indonesia. Singapore has an entire military strategy - logistics, forces, armament, defensive points, based on the sole concept of being prepared for an invasion by Malaysia (and holding out until, once again, the US mobilizes to saves it's ass).
I will give you another example - part of the problem with the disappearance of flight MH370 is all these countries didn't trust each other with disclosing radar information. Thailand and Indonesia for instance didn't want Malaysia and it's other neighbors to know it's radar capabilities.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:09 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,038,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I imagine they trust Thailand for one example
Until 2014 they did, not anymore.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:07 AM

210 posts, read 275,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm happy we are getting uninvolved in Philippines future squabbles...we also need to pull out of S. korea, Japan, Germany, Middle East.
So, you want hundreds of thousands of US soldiers to lose their jobs.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:15 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,038,402 times
Asia (2050):

Russia (Red)
Turkey (White)
Arabia (Black)
Persia (Green)
India (Orange)
China (Yellow)

Old 10-21-2016, 10:39 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsuleneo View Post
So, you want hundreds of thousands of US soldiers to lose their jobs.
I support a strong military (and I'm a veteran) but we are spending too much, we are too involved and committed around the world. I'm for pulling our troops out from around the world and only protecting ourselves.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:41 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
That leaves South Korea and Singapore as the obvious minions of US in Asia left I suppose.
Right. Its now a minion of China. Not a big improvement.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:46 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
If they can make it work then more power to them. I doubt things will improve with this totally rash and poorly-conceived and organized pivot - to a nation that had been openly mocking and antagonizing them up until a few weeks ago, no less.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:55 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
If they can make it work then more power to them. I doubt things will improve with this totally rash and poorly-conceived and organized pivot - to a nation that had been openly mocking and antagonizing them up until a few weeks ago, no less.
At first I thought it was like others said....he's playing the anti-US card because he thinks it will help him with the US, and China both. The problem with that is his timing and the way he is going about is way off. Obama simply doesn't care he's going Lame Duck and the US ambassador to the Philippines is changing as well. I don't even think any of that anymore I just think he truly hates the US. No good will come of that and the Philippines is going to suffer because of it.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:25 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
According to an online Wall Street Journal article (accessible via paywall), Duterte's dislike of the US was influenced by his Muslim grandmother and a Communist professor at the university he attended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia