Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 11:24 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,450,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Asian countries see the USA as weak under Dem president Obama. It would be the same under a Hillary presidency. The leader that many of these countries see as strong and worth emulating is Putin.
I can assure you that Russia is almost completely off the radar in East and SE Asia. The Russian economy is extremely weak, no one relies on their oil and gas here like in Europe, and it's really distant both geographically and culturally. Putin's sphere of influence is primarily in Europe, the Middle East, and the stans, not so much beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 01:01 PM

8,490 posts, read 6,897,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Ok there isn't a bunch, but there is still some US military in Singapore, like naval ships based in Singapore

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...litary-muscles

also Paya lebar airbase have got US army planes if i am not wrong

I guess if Singapore asks the US to leave then we can close down the SAF training bases here in Arizona and Idaho. Here in California Singapore ground forces also train on a regular basis just a few miles from where I live.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:03 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I am going to get in touch with some ex-pats I know there in Phi. and see what they're saying. I was planning a trip there for early next year so I'm trying to ascertain it all and figure out what's going on as well.

What Duterte is doing is being a mini-Hitler using national pride and identity as a mask for his racism and to try and get people to dislike the US. This works on people that are poor, not very educated, don't have much going for them in life, and so on. It's the same thing that fuels anti-US terrorist groups and so on.

The people in the country have to be smart about it and realize he's completely nuts.

I'm curious as to to what the extent of it as well. You have to remember the internet brings out all of the trolls and morons on Youtube comments and so on. In the US we have people in our own country that were born here that are anti-US... the internet lets these losers shoot their mouth off from their parents basement.

You're absolutely insane. This is pure Duterte pro-China propaganda. The Philippines will get absolutely nowhere by tying themselves to China and not the US. Dragged into a war as a US puppet against China. That would never happen in a 1,000 years because China
can't afford to tick off the US and our allies.

Without the US...China sees the Philippines as a wounded animal that's easy prey and easy to push around. Duterte is a fool that's playing right into their hands.

How about China stops trying to steal people's islands?
Yeah, keep believing that the us is the white shining knight for the poor Filipinos. Yeah how about that great colonial experience? And how much good did all the aid from the us did from past decades? The us uses the Philippines as a stepping mat for its control of Asia. Well, with the rise of China, thing are changing.

As for ticking off the us, are you kidding me. The most the us will do is sail some lone ship close to a Chinese island, well outside of its 12 miles zone. But the Chinese will militarize those islands and keep beefing up their defenses. It's China's backyard and it might be high time the us recognizes that. Whose stealing islands? Those belong to China. Who died and made you sheriff? Back in the 1950s when the roc claimed all of the scs under its 11 dash line, the us had no problem with it. Now that the PRC claims the exact same area under its nine dash line, it's Chinese theft and aggression?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-23-2016 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 10-23-2016, 05:00 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,828,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I guess if Singapore asks the US to leave then we can close down the SAF training bases here in Arizona and Idaho. Here in California Singapore ground forces also train on a regular basis just a few miles from where I live.
Nah , Singapore will not ask the US to leave .. I mean We (Singapore) is a minion of the US as i have said.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:10 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,828,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Silly lad, the Israeli tail wags the American dog.
I dont understand this sentence, can anybody help ??

Old 10-23-2016, 05:57 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I am going to get in touch with some ex-pats I know there in Phi. and see what they're saying. I was planning a trip there for early next year so I'm trying to ascertain it all and figure out what's going on as well.

What Duterte is doing is being a mini-Hitler using national pride and identity as a mask for his racism and to try and get people to dislike the US. This works on people that are poor, not very educated, don't have much going for them in life, and so on. It's the same thing that fuels anti-US terrorist groups and so on.

The people in the country have to be smart about it and realize he's completely nuts.

I'm curious as to to what the extent of it as well. You have to remember the internet brings out all of the trolls and morons on Youtube comments and so on. In the US we have people in our own country that were born here that are anti-US... the internet lets these losers shoot their mouth off from their parents basement.

You're absolutely insane. This is pure Duterte pro-China propaganda. The Philippines will get absolutely nowhere by tying themselves to China and not the US. Dragged into a war as a US puppet against China. That would never happen in a 1,000 years because China
can't afford to tick off the US and our allies.

Without the US...China sees the Philippines as a wounded animal that's easy prey and easy to push around. Duterte is a fool that's playing right into their hands.

How about China stops trying to steal people's islands?
Yeah, keep believing that the us is the white shining knight for the poor Filipinos. Yeah how about that great colonial experience? And how much good did all the aid from the us did from past decades? The us uses the Philippines as a stepping mat for its control of Asia. Well, with the rise of China, thing are changing.

As for ticking off the us, are you kidding me. The most the us will do is sail some lone ship close to a Chinese island, well outside of its 12 miles zone. But the Chinese will militarize those islands and keep beefing up their defenses. It's China's backyard and it might be high time the us recognizes that. Whose stealing islands? Those belong to China. Who died and made you sheriff? Back in the 1950s when the roc claimed all of the scs under its 11 dash line, the us had no problem with it. Now that the PRC claims the exact same area under its nine dash line, it's Chinese theft and aggression?.
The whole colonial thing is stupid, this is 2016. The US helps the Philippines economy tremendously. I don't need to be the sheriff because China was already ruled against back in July... and they did what China always does they don't respect international law. The 9 dash line isn't even real China made it up out of thin air to try and steal territory.

China should be kicked out of the U.N. they're a rogue nation that doesn't truly want to work with anyone and doesn't respect international law.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-23-2016 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 10-23-2016, 06:14 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
I don't agree with what the writer said but I will try to explain what he meant.

It is an American idiom. It comes from the saying - A dog is smarter than its tail, because if the tail were smarter, then the tail would 'wag the dog'. It has come to mean the group (person/country/corperation) that should be in charge is not, a group thought to be secondary is actually calling the shots. In the phrase you are asking about, the writer is saying that America's policy towards other countries is based on what Israel wants it to do because behind the scenes Israel is calling the shots, even though it looks like America is the one in charge.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:17 PM

8,490 posts, read 6,897,485 times
Quote:
Nah , Singapore will not ask the US to leave .. I mean We (Singapore) is a minion of the US as i have said.

We love our minions here in the US. I guess we're something of a father figure to most of Asia

Old 10-23-2016, 06:20 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,582,206 times
Quote:
This is pure antisemitism - as if jews run the US on orders from Israel. Your PAP (or even the WP) would be ashamed of you.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:23 PM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Silly lad, the Israeli tail wags the American dog.
Quote:
Some believe that Jews, have an undue influence among US policies. Look where they are coming from. Many of the previous post in the three or four current threads concerning President Duterte had the added statements that Filipinos should not be allowed to marry their people or immigrate since President Duterte said mean things about President Obama or America in general. It has been said that people's prejudice against Israel serves as the canary in the coal mine and like that poison gas detector can expose other racist and bigoted tendencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia