Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2016, 11:28 PM

1,478 posts, read 789,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's hardly a minion.

Singapore is an economic engine. It's mutually beneficial for Singapore to have military backing, so that all of its citizens live well, without fear of being invaded.

Singapore gets far more out of the deal, to live in such an economically prosperous country.

I'm not sure what the U.S. gets out of it exactly...a secure place to invest money, I guess? Which is an even larger plus for Singapore.
Someone is planning on invading Singapore?

I wish some country would invade Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Oh yeah, the Chinese don't respect a tribunal that isn't even associated with the UN or the real World Court, and you want to kick China out of the UN? Dream on. By the way, the actual World Court that is part of the UN did rule against the US back in 1986, and guess what the US did? Go do some research. It ruled against Japan over whaling, and what do you think Japan did? It ruled against Britain over the Falklands, and guess what Britain did? Go learn something.

The Chinese won't accept this puny judgement, so?// what do you think anyone can do about it? China is doing what the US , or Britain or even Japan had done in the past. You're full of uninformed hot air, buddy.

The nine dash live was revised from the 11 dash line that the RoC on Taiwan came up with soon after WWII and was accepted by all the nations around that area and the US. Go learn something. It wasn't made up by the PRC.

The whole colonial thing is stupid? Says you...who are you?
Educational post. I knew nothing about any of that stuff (still don't really, but now I know something to look up).

Thanks.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Asian countries see the USA as weak under Dem president Obama. It would be the same under a Hillary presidency. The leader that many of these countries see as strong and worth emulating is Putin.
That's not really what attracts various developing nations to Putin or Russia. I think it's more like they view the current President of Russia articulating some of their greivances about the current asymmetry in international power, in voices being heard at the international table. That and they recognize Russia and China as having the economic and military muscularity to be able to project their voices into the international argument. Where a less powerful nation like the Philippines has its voice drowned out--standing alone at least.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:43 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Oh, stop it. The mighty PRC isn't gonna do anything, as much as you'd like it to.
Yes, you know me too well. The slime bat Tsai doesn't even want to defend this island if it comes under threat from the viets. You can bet your backside that if the viets attack taiping, China will be there to take out the entire viets navy in Haiphong and also seize this gem of an island from Taiwan before that stupid Tsai finishes her first first Taiwanese bubble tea of the day....

Old 10-25-2016, 06:16 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yes, you know me too well. The slime bat Tsai doesn't even want to defend this island if it comes under threat from the viets. You can bet your backside that if the viets attack taiping, China will be there to take out the entire viets navy in Haiphong and also seize this gem of an island from Taiwan before that stupid Tsai finishes her first first Taiwanese bubble tea of the day....
It's not happening one way or the other so it's pointless to keep going on about it.

Vietnam isn't attacking Taiwan because their relations are good: Taiwan is the largest foreign investor in Vietnam, and though Vietnam officially adheres to the "one China" policy, in effect, they deal with one another quite well.

Beyond that, the Viets are buddying up to the US: if they decided to attack Taiwanese interests for whatever stupid reason, Vietnam could forget that, and be isolated from everyone again. If Duterte does successfully sever relations with the US against the will of more or less the entire rest of his government and most of the Filipino people, Vietnam would be in a great position to grow its influence with the US, and all parties involved - the US, Vietnam, China, and the Philippines - know this.

China isn't attacking Taiwan because overall, their relations are good and it would be an absolute economic and foreign relations disaster to attack them. It wouldn't go over well with the people of China or Taiwan, either. There is literally nothing to be gained by doing something so stupid.

Tsai can drink her bubble tea, Uncle Xi can drink whatever concoction of fermented herbs, endangered animal bone powder, and boiled water he drinks during lunchtime, Obama can have a beer, Duterte can stand there and scream at a wall about how much he hates America for an hour, and one way or the other, nothing's going to happen.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:35 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,450,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Vietnam isn't attacking Taiwan because their relations are good: Taiwan is the largest foreign investor in Vietnam, and though Vietnam officially adheres to the "one China" policy, in effect, they deal with one another quite well.
Idk if I'd describe the relations between Vietnam and Taiwan as "good". Honestly I feel like we are only in good terms with Japan and Hong Kong. Everyone else is like stranger.

Quote:
Uncle Xi can drink whatever concoction of fermented herbs, endangered animal bone powder
Ha

Old 10-25-2016, 09:20 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm happy we are getting uninvolved in Philippines future squabbles...we also need to pull out of S. korea, Japan, Germany, Middle East.

Duterte is an idiot. If PHils got their corruption under control, their citizens would all benefit...that's their biggest problem and why their citizens have to leave the Phils and work all over the world. i've had many Filipinos work for me over the last 15 years, they are great workers.
The minority Chinese have long controlled the economy in the Philippines, and how many Filipino's despise the Chinese, would kill any of them if given the chance.

So, ironically, instead of throwing the rich Chinese out of the Philippines, like Indonesia did one time, Dueterte throws his arms around the Chinese!

Instead of going after drug dealers/users, he should be targeting the rich Chinese in the Philippines!

Ironies of ironies!

Old 10-26-2016, 01:16 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,244,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Someone is planning on invading Singapore?

I wish some country would invade Detroit.

We would surrender Detroit faster than the French surrender Paris when they see Germans coming.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:35 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The minority Chinese have long controlled the economy in the Philippines, and how many Filipino's despise the Chinese, would kill any of them if given the chance.

So, ironically, instead of throwing the rich Chinese out of the Philippines, like Indonesia did one time, Dueterte throws his arms around the Chinese!

Instead of going after drug dealers/users, he should be targeting the rich Chinese in the Philippines!

Ironies of ironies!
I wouldn't be shocked to find out there was Chinese money behind Duterte's campaign.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:39 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Ironies of ironies!
Are you advocating some sort of genocide? In some countries, this sort of hate speech would get you prison time.

In any case, the Filipinos know that. China would not sit while ethnic Chinese are being slaughtered like in Indonesia in the late nineties. This time around, china would act militarily because it is much much stronger, and if Beijing doesn't, it would be condemned by its own people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia